What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diary Indian Landrace Exchange: 2022 outdoor, 42 north

Naindejardin

@therevverend awesome pics, they looked close to mine. I’d love to see a dried flower pic. Can’t wait until this spring, I’ll have some clones still so no problem with the sexing. Plus pop some more seeds and see if I get any winners. Not buying any more seeds for this year, I hope I can get a denser Waichin or try the Kali Ram. The good thing is that I put my clones through hell and no bananas yet 😬🤞I’m at 11 weeks

therevverend

Veteran
Don't be jealous of our weather. Last year was our best ever and I still had significant losses to mold. As the climate has gotten warmer and drier forest fires have become an issue. Even if we dodge a couple weeks of storms and rains in September the smoke blots out the sun and locks in the moisture. We had a few days of fog the week before main harvest which led to my mold problems. The place to be eastern Washington, dry arid climate most years until the first frost in mid-late October. Excellent conditions for growing.

Here's some pics of the Kali Ram.

View media item 18707678
View media item 18707677
View media item 18707675
A lot of variation between plants. I wish the seed vendors would include more seeds of landrace varieties per pack. I had one plant with a decent dense bud structure, at least for a sativa. And one with a dark purple color and purple smell. Most of the rest were nice, not complaining at all, but I'm looking for gems to breed with. It's not as simple as with a pack of 'worked' seeds where you can pick the best male and female, make F2s, and you're off and running.

These certainly aren't regular landrace types. I'd call them heirlooms, same with some of the Baloch and Afghan lines I've worked with. More care taken selecting excellent plants for breeding and removing poor males. At least in some farms in these spots the farmers are removing most of the males, leaving 2-3 per 10 females. I know Kali Ram, the man in Nirang who bred the Kali Ram hashplant, selects for black coloration.

Here's a look at the finished Nirang flowers. Definitely the best of the best, excellent resin coverage, finished in season with the rest of my main run, huge plant, reacted well to the nutrients I fed it. I didn't baby it, gave it the same veg and flowering formula as my hybrid and Indica types. Indoors the narrow leaf varieties need less nutrients because they're so small, but growing a big plant outdoors they eat a lot more.

View media item 18707659
View media item 18707661
View media item 18707662
Last two pics are with the flash, not what it looks like to the naked eye but it's interesting to see the colors that come through and the resin is more visible. Reflects the light.

therevverend

Veteran
that's some serious sized trics, kudos...asphalt pheno? no kidding....
That's why in my mind these are 'heirloom' as opposed to 'landrace'. I've grown Kuamoni and other semi-feral breeds that are used for hemp and hash making. They tend to have low-medium amounts of THC and CBD, less and smaller crystals, because that's what the native semi-wild strains of handrubbed hashplants are like in the Himalayan foothills. I believe these growers are high and isolated enough that there's less (although still quite a bit) of feral semi-wild pollen floating around. And they're using selective methods that focus only resin production. These almost match up, bong hit to bong hit, with the best stuff I grew this year.

Naindejardin

92230C79-6480-44BD-85ED-96321191A7F6.jpeg
Trichs are coming in!