What's new

immediate & unconditional hiring

Feyd

sunshine in a bag
Veteran
thanks for all the advice and support guys.

arctic: i've contacted the local employment commissions and any labor offices i've found, i think it's just a matter of me being one of hundreds of people fighting for the same thing.

alpo: nah i dont. my dad is cfo at a utility company and got my younger brother a job there.. but he doesn't talk to me and wouldn't help me if i asked.
i even asked my brother if his restaurant he sous chefs at is hiring but he told me no. but i think it has something to do with him not wanting me working alongside him somehow and possibly reflecting upon his image there? i dont know.

i think my best option really is to just enlist in the navy (which i do want to do) asap, this means cleaning out entirely, which i've been doing, but i haven't smoked or done anything else for that matter in like two weeks. i might go sometime in november to get processed. if i were to enlist with my friend, all it would mean is that we would be going to basic for the same amount of time, not necessarily being alongside each other the entire four years doing the same shit.
part of me wants to think joining together will prevent us from going apart as friends, but that happened years ago when he got into heroin (which created a rift that took a long time to repair)

i can't put my future on hold for a friend. i can't really imagine what it would be like to not have the friendship i have with him though.

zenoonez

Veteran
i know a job planting tulips for $30/hr...

... where? Hell 30 an hr is livable, sure as shit if its in a legal state and you can vend a little on the side to make ends meet... so where is this horticulturalists paradise?

alpo

... where? Hell 30 an hr is livable, sure as shit if its in a legal state and you can vend a little on the side to make ends meet... so where is this horticulturalists paradise?

YOU PLANT YOUR TWO LIPS ON MY ****

sorry jk

I

InvisibleEmpire

I'm in the same boat....roughly same age as you and desperately looking for work. I have customer service/technical support background so there are a lot of openings but it's basically been trending as follows:

1.) Job ad looks great, apply, are called back only to find out it's a recruiter. You are asked to meet face to face with the recruiter and the majority of the time this is where it ends (IE, you don't go forward with the interview with the employer themselves)

2.) I actually make it past the interviews and recruiters only to find out the job that was hyped up is a horrible job with horrible requirements (one actually told me i had to feed a meter all day every day until i got a parking permit which was $100/month and feeding the meter was like $150 a month..) also was told about being 'on-call' for a low paying shift job (uncalled for) and all kind of other crazy ass 'negatives' including expensive, low-yielding benefits...

It's always one of the two, either a recruiter bullshitting to meet their quotas or the job itself is horrible and/or has a high turnover rate.

I've probably met with 15-25 recruiters since March 2010 with 1 temp job i worked for a month and had the potential to get hired at 2 places but like i mentioned above the job duties, requirements, benefits and hours were HORRIBLE for the amount they wanted to pay me.

I am now scouring low-level customer service jobs that only pay 10/11 an hour and it's difficult even finding one of them. I was arrested in 2005 but the felonies/misdeameanor were withdrawn for a guilty plea to disorderly conduct. The original charges (felonies, possession) show up on background checks (i ran one on myself)....

Note: I spoke 1-on-1 with a recruiter who straight up told me that the last 2-3 years there have been many policy and managerial changes within many companies basically mandating criminal background checks and if ANYTHING shows up - even disorderlys for public urination or gay shit like that - will bar you from employment. He told me about a guy who was arrested in Cali 22 years ago, did 1 year in jail and has had 3 long-term jobs since and was looking for work, got placed in an IT job for a month but was then fired because of his arrest record 22 years ago.

Basically background checks are becoming the 'tool' now when a few years back many employers would just 'look past' the BG check and/or not even waste the money on running one...so if you have anything on your background like I do, look into expungement.

Feyd

sunshine in a bag
Veteran
I'm in the same boat....roughly same age as you and desperately looking for work. I have customer service/technical support background so there are a lot of openings but it's basically been trending as follows:

1.) Job ad looks great, apply, are called back only to find out it's a recruiter. You are asked to meet face to face with the recruiter and the majority of the time this is where it ends (IE, you don't go forward with the interview with the employer themselves)

2.) I actually make it past the interviews and recruiters only to find out the job that was hyped up is a horrible job with horrible requirements (one actually told me i had to feed a meter all day every day until i got a parking permit which was $100/month and feeding the meter was like $150 a month..) also was told about being 'on-call' for a low paying shift job (uncalled for) and all kind of other crazy ass 'negatives' including expensive, low-yielding benefits...

It's always one of the two, either a recruiter bullshitting to meet their quotas or the job itself is horrible and/or has a high turnover rate.

I've probably met with 15-25 recruiters since March 2010 with 1 temp job i worked for a month and had the potential to get hired at 2 places but like i mentioned above the job duties, requirements, benefits and hours were HORRIBLE for the amount they wanted to pay me.

I am now scouring low-level customer service jobs that only pay 10/11 an hour and it's difficult even finding one of them. I was arrested in 2005 but the felonies/misdeameanor were withdrawn for a guilty plea to disorderly conduct. The original charges (felonies, possession) show up on background checks (i ran one on myself)....

Note: I spoke 1-on-1 with a recruiter who straight up told me that the last 2-3 years there have been many policy and managerial changes within many companies basically mandating criminal background checks and if ANYTHING shows up - even disorderlys for public urination or gay shit like that - will bar you from employment. He told me about a guy who was arrested in Cali 22 years ago, did 1 year in jail and has had 3 long-term jobs since and was looking for work, got placed in an IT job for a month but was then fired because of his arrest record 22 years ago.

Basically background checks are becoming the 'tool' now when a few years back many employers would just 'look past' the BG check and/or not even waste the money on running one...so if you have anything on your background like I do, look into expungement.

damn dude. nah i don't have a criminal history whatsoever.
however both of my brothers are felons. one works in kitchens so that's how he's able to find work, but he got fired from a country club he was working at because he lied about his record to get the job, probably knew he'd be fired once they found out but needed a paycheck desperately.

i guess it helps to have a skill/trade/education on your side, all i know how to do is make espresso and talk to strangers... haha

headiez247

shut the fuck up Donny
Veteran
It's tough everywhere now, really sucks.

Cali unemployment currently is officially reported at 12.4% which in itself is ridiculously high, but many reports say that the real rate with margin of error/people not reporting is more like 17%

It sucks even more for people with an extensive resume, work history, bachelors degree, etc who still can't manage to get a job.

ZoSo

Yep, it's tough out there. And to think my dad used to make 100k+ a year without a degree doing programming. And my uncle could support his family working as a machinist at a factory without his wife having to work.

Shit sucks.

I

InvisibleEmpire

seems to me the only people who can up and just get a job at any time are those willing to work in extreme conditions (collections call centers, warehouse labor, etc.) for low pay who also have a squeaky clean background & clean drug test etc.

i'm so fuckin' tired of lookin for a job it's unreal. yeah im sellin a bit of my harvest but that's only going to last so long...and i havent started up another grow yet until i pick some seeds and get things lined up..

FUCK! wish my 2kw was setup and i was harvesting tomorrow, i'd be golden!

BudToaster

Veteran
Here's how to get a job ... go to the owner of the company and prove to him you will make him 5 times the amount you get paid.

If you can't do that, wtf would he waste any time with you? But if you can do that, you can name your own salary.

So pick a industry/business you can do something in. And be passionate about the job.

Bodies they don't need. Passion and performance trumps any negative personal history. Hell, everybody makes mistakes, it's how you correct the mistake that makes you valuable.

Keep your eyes open and solve problems -- before they become a problem.

If you believe you can do that, you will do that.

Good luck, dude. There is still opportunity in US despite the shitty times.

Feyd

sunshine in a bag
Veteran
got a letter saying to call the employment commission about a job so i could get a referral for it...

been calling all day and the phone just rings for 4 minutes before disconnecting, wtf
gonna drive down to the actual office before they close at 4, i'm assuming they're just going to tell me the position has been filled (didnt get the letter til the weekend, they arent open on weekends..)

seems like each day there is less and less posted online and i see less help wanted ads in windows, i think i might have to sell my body, smokey style

randy+trailer+park+boys.jpg

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
What I used to do when I was younger, was get out the phone book, and start calling small construction companies, and tell them I needed work-- Tell them you are willing to learn anything, clean up anything...do any jobs they need done--
The trick is, don't call major companies, as they will just refer you to their Employment Dept-- Small, private Companies will often respect your ambition to contact them directly--
I have gotten many jobs like this-- It seems like calling them on the phone would be a turn-off for them, but it doesn't seem to be so--:tiphat:

zenoonez

Veteran
Why not find a reputable employment agency for temp work, go get a bag of fake piss or whatever and get some shitty jobs for the time being. I know a good agency around me has a 90% placement rate within 1 month and they only charge 185. 90% is effing great for a county with 10+% unemployment.

KillerDemo

Cali is so short of jobs its not even funny...too many ppl looking for work and there's nothing for them

headiez247

shut the fuck up Donny
Veteran
Here's how to get a job ... go to the owner of the company and prove to him you will make him 5 times the amount you get paid.

If you can't do that, wtf would he waste any time with you? But if you can do that, you can name your own salary.

So pick a industry/business you can do something in. And be passionate about the job.

Bodies they don't need. Passion and performance trumps any negative personal history. Hell, everybody makes mistakes, it's how you correct the mistake that makes you valuable.

Keep your eyes open and solve problems -- before they become a problem.

If you believe you can do that, you will do that.

Good luck, dude. There is still opportunity in US despite the shitty times.

lol.

That may have worked back in the 80's but not anymore.

Try that in SoCal today and if your even able to get in the door, let alone to the president, he will just laugh in your face and tell you to hit up the HR department.

Shit doesn't work that way anymore, especially in a recession.

Name your own salary, LOL.

BudToaster

Veteran
guess you're right ... 80's was the last time i had a job. i've been self-unemployed for the last 20 years doing my own thing. godfuckingbless the internet and having a few computer skills.