What's new

I'm looking to buy a 50-100 KW Generator. Need some help selecting fuel and model.

Snype

Veteran
I'm looking to buy a 50KW - 100KW generator but I've never used them before and would like to get some info from people who are experienced with them. Here are my questions:

1. I want to stay off the grid so is it better for me to go with Gasoline or Diesel? Why?

2. Can I only use half of the watts for the generator or can I use all of them without overloading it?

3. If I'm running 100 KW at half capacity(50KW) for 12 hours per day, around how many gallons of fuel will I be using per day?

4. What is the make and model of the generator I should buy? Why?

5. How loud is a brand new generator that was made in the last couple of years?

I'm looking forward to learning more about generators so I can start working on my new OP. Thanks in advance!

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Great thread on this is "Diesel Generator (as your primary power source)"

In short

1) Diesel, burns more types of fuel (including vegetable oil for the zombie apocalypse), and operates at lower temperatures and RPMs, giving longer life.

2) Yes, as a matter of fact, you don't want to run ANY electrical device at max load.

3) Depends on the generator. The generator stats should tell you fuel usage stats for 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100% load.

4) & 5) - Come on man, gonna have to do SOME research on your own :D

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Oh, and get 2. Breakdowns with a single gen as your only source could mean weeks w/o power.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
go to the hardy diesel website, they have all the info you will need about every generator they sell. fuel consumption at different electricity draws for each generator.

Diesel generators can be run at the rated power production continuously, and they also run the most fuel efficient per kwh at that rating.

Don't even consider gasoline generators, diesel's are more efficient and are made to run continuously.

Check with your local co-op for leads on used fuel storage tanks from farmers.

As for fuel delivery, look online for bulk fuel delivery services in your area.

Don't put the fuel storage tank right beside your generator along side of the grow building.

What would the fuel delivery driver think about seeing that?

dtfsux

I'm looking to buy a 50KW - 100KW generator but I've never used them before and would like to get some info from people who are experienced with them. Here are my questions:

1. I want to stay off the grid so is it better for me to go with Gasoline or Diesel? Why? Diesel all the way, no doubts. They last longer and are quieter. Gas cant handle the daily grind. This is WELL documented

2. Can I only use half of the watts for the generator or can I use all of them without overloading it? Most max out the generator, then flip the lights. So the genny runs 24/7

3. If I'm running 100 KW at half capacity(50KW) for 12 hours per day, around how many gallons of fuel will I be using per day? ALOT !!

4. What is the make and model of the generator I should buy? Why? I dont know

5. How loud is a brand new generator that was made in the last couple of years? It is going to be pretty loud

I'm looking forward to learning more about generators so I can start working on my new OP. Thanks in advance!

Here is the holy grail of generator threads

http://icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=16519&highlight=generator&page=21

I hope you have some serious bank for this. A 50KW generator could easily support a 50-60KW op (run genny 24/7, flip lights) depending on A/C etc.

You are talking at least $100K to set that up, maybe more.

And you need to be prepared to maintain that genny, because they require alot of maintenance, oil changes, valve adjustments, etc

Its going to require a shit load of fuel, 50-100 gallons daily depending on size, load etc.

You need to make sure you look at continuous use gennys, not back ups

dtfsux

Would this really be a viable alternative cash whise?

Running a genny is by far, more expensive than buying electric, and creates more logistical issues. getting fuel, hiding the noise and smell, maintenance, etc.

But if you have a barn on 10 acres, and feel like running 40-50KW, a genny may be the only option. A $3,000 electric bill on a residence, is pushing most growers comfort zone :D So its worth it to be off the grid to pay more.

A genny op is not to be taken lightly. Its expensive, takes alot of planning and money

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
If something goes wrong with your genny, heavy equipment rental places rent out trailer generators from 20kw up to 275kw.

The chances of something going wrong with a new genny, slim to none.

I used to work on river boat tugs and its unbelievable how reliable those engines are under such enormous loads running nonstop day and night. They had Cummins and CAT engines.

G

good drown

you might as well get some batteries and solar panels if you are thinking of this. it will cost you well over $100,000 to set up, and holy shit, i can't imagine the fuel costs.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
A 100kw genny will run you about 15k a month in fuel. (farm diesel)

Thats running it continuously at 90kw draw, it will actually be less than that if you run 2 50kw flower rooms on a flip flop.

Batteries, solar panels... ... :biglaugh:

A Perkins 90kw brand new genny can be had for $17k, a used 5-9k gallon fuel storage tank can be found in good shape for ~$10k and to fill it up, $15k to $25k.

All set up and running, I'd guess $65k or so.

Solar panels... :biglaugh:

Aeroguerilla

I’m God’s solider, devil’s apostle
Veteran
15k for a 60kw gen. 500 for 2 24kw subpanels. 6k for 3 months of fuel 12/12. then your talking all the equipment. your looking at 50k to setup a grow op that will yield you 100+ lbs every 2-3 months.

dtfsux

I wonder if any of you have priced out or built out a large grow?

I have done both. I set out a spread sheet and thought of everything I could. And I still missed stuff

We spent 100K on building costs, equipment and labor. That doesnt include a genny or the down payment on the building. That was for around 35KW total (veg and flower). And that produced around 25# per month

I guess you could get away with cheap construction if you had a large barn, but if you are flip flopping, then you need at least two light proof rooms. Plus a veg room

Our rooms were nothing but 2x4's for walls, 2x6 for rafters, drywall and insulation.

Lumber,drywall, insulation,paint,mud,drywall tape, nails, hooks, ropes, wiring, wiring nuts, outlets,outlet boxes, contactors, wiring, breakers, plywood, etc

Hoods, ballasts, bulbs, pumps, reses, meters, cloning trays, domes, buckets/pots, fittings, media, hoses, CO2 controller, co2 genny, propane, A/C, fans, exhaust fans, carbon scrubbers, timers

Then you have carrying costs, rent/mortgage, electric or fuel/ nutes/ cloning materials (rockwool cubes, plugs etc). I would spend 1500 + at the hydro store just on supplies every month.

And 100# every two months? That would require at least 40k per flower room. You are going to need a crew of guys that need to be paid to manage the grow, and harvest.

Then you have transportation costs
The stuff adds up, and trust me, we watched every dollar.

If you want to get a 100kw genny, use it to its full potential, you better have $250K laying around.

But if you do, you will get your money back first go around.

G

good drown

the solar panels and batteries would be so he can run some house appliances on a regular basis without having to burn fuel. lots of people who live off the grid have panels and batteries bro...

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
My posts were strictly in regard to setting up a generator, since thats what the op asked for.

Setting up a completely off the grid grow house is a whole-nother story when talking about costs.

I have never set up a generator grow, but have researched it extensively.

For me, one person, to maintain, I wouldn't venture into more than a 20kw generator with 2 8kw-10kw flower rooms. Though, several people would be needed for harvest time.

dtfsux

My posts were strictly in regard to setting up a generator, since thats what the op asked for.

I kind of figured that but then someone else posts $50k to set up an op that will yield 100# every 2-3 months.. LOL

From what I have read, Aero seems to know his stuff on outddor growing, but he is off a wee-bit on his #'s for an indoor grow.......

statusquo

I didn't know people actually used generators anymore. I thought I had read they are a PITA to use. They are loud as fuck, suck up fuel, costly to maintain/buy/operate and smell a lot. Also they are incredibly environmentally unfriendly (again, from what I've read and intuitively it makes sense i suppose lol). I am curious to see people's diesel setups and would like to be proven wrong and see some viable setups/situations :)

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
I know a guy on here that runs a diesel genny setup, I won't call him out though, he might show up on his own.

He lives in canada.

dmt

Veteran
must be diesel, must be german. i believe siemens are up there if my mind serves me corrctly, d

Latest posts

Latest posts