What's new

Illinois revised timelines and guidelines

amannamedtruth

Veteran
@Julian, We are very confident with our app. Our team is experienced in dealing with strict government setups on an industrial scale. Its the waiting thats frustrating. I didnt want to take on a consulting gig in the mean time but I might have to. I dont know how long this is going to drag out for. Your head grower is a cannabis cup champion but he needed a consultant to design the facility? So either you dont have a cannabis cup champion. Or you do and he has never grown on any larger scale. Speaking from experience, I wouldnt want a third party designing the grow facility which I will be in charge of. Nor would I need one.

@Bababooey, Its between $9-$12/gram.

@amannamedtruth, lovely pics. Are they yours?

Baba or amman do you have an application pending? Or are you guys living in Illinois as patients?

Thanks a bunch, yea, that's an organic tent in progress. Purple Bomb, GROM X Grape Krush, GDP x Querkle, respectively. Nope, not a patient, but I feel its all medicinal. I'm more of a caregiver ;)

amannamedtruth

Veteran
Yes and no and yes and no.....

1. All cultivation employee's are agents. They will have to submit prints for a background check for employment...

Agents (employee's) were not required to submit resume and prints with application.

2. Agent(s)-in charge:
At all times of operation an agent in charge is required to be on premises.

AIC resume's and prints were required for application on submission.

3. "Master Grower" "Certification" by a school would be inadequate.As we know, in this place.......a "master grower" is not a status one achieves in 6 weeks for $500 :smoke:...(I've seen resume's in which one had minimal cultivation time under their belt and they had obtained a "master grower certification".....)

Such would also not be deemed acceptable for the position(s) without the appropriate corresponding academic credentials...

GT....I'm very curious how you were able to design and staff a facility when it seems you are not well versed on the guidelines which dictated that/those process's....much of the above indicates that the minimum weren't even met, let alone exceeding them...

:biglaugh: you totally just read my mind.....was just looking through some pics and have some new ones this weekend....(have a bunch of things coming down somewhere this weekend....some GSC x's which are looking very impressive...)

Went through that aspect a lot with people past year........"Art"...."artists".....(White collar groups time and time again used the alcohol analogy.....but not well........ie: "Beer is beer right?".......which I loved informing them...."Not even close" :smoke:...they really have no idea...hence my above....going to be a wide variety of quality and product because principals don't know the difference, how to screen, the nuances of product, etc....

To them? "Beer is beer".....

Yea man, post em up. I also have some GSC x Agent orange from relentless going now, real nice to be playing with some Cookies genetics. GSC an interesting hybrid, Great potency and resin, flavor is..interesting. I wonder if its real value is adding more frost to high yielders with further hybridization? I digress...Keep me posted on those crosses.

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have had some GSC x SSSDH ps lately which I just love.......and I think AO derivatives also about to come down...not familiar with it but looking (and smelling) just unbelievable......you say "interesting"...yeah...it "moves" me :smoke:....definitely.....one of those universal unique and identifiable that once your familiar with it...just stays with you :smoke:...

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
That stuff looks like some $35 an 8th CO dispo weed. I'd be upset about paying anything more than that for it, retail or med.

@Bababooey, Its between $9-$12/gram.

Ding ding ding ding, we have a winner. You must be good at guessing people's weights as well.

35 an eighth, or thereabouts, not counting tax.
If its got a decent amount and variety of cannabinoids, then yeah, not bad for retail, so long as additional taxes are not outrageous.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
The Suntimes picked up on the cbs stories that julian linked earlier...

In the world of medical marijuana entrepreneurs in Illinois, there’s plenty of green behind the grass.

Hundreds of would-be medical marijuana growers and sellers have put millions of dollars on the line hoping for coveted state permits that were supposed to issued by former Gov. Pat Quinn by the end of last year.

To snag those valuable permits, the entrepreneurs hired consultants, lawyers and lobbyists.

They’re already paying rent, in some cases, or have money tied up in options to buy property.

And now, they wait. And with millions of dollars on the line, waiting can get expensive.

The state’s medical marijuana program — and the status of the coveted 21 medical marijuana farming licenses and 60 dispensaries licenses — depends on the decision of one man: Illinois’ new Gov. Bruce Rauner.

Nobody is sure what he’s going to do, and Rauner has given few hints.

A spokesman, Lance Trover, said in a statement: Rauner “has serious concerns about the law and how licenses were chosen. However, he is committed to a quick and thorough review of the program, in the hopes of bringing clarity to the many concerned families across the state.”

The new governor has said among his chief concerns are the clouted people that may be awarded licenses.

Politically, issuing the licenses may not appeal to the anti-drug element of his party. Still, some Republicans have come out in favor of the program, hoping for jobs in their rural communities. Even some La Salle Street bankers have shown an interest in cashing in on the legal marijuana business.

In October, U.S. Attorney Zach Fardon was quizzed by finance attorney Richard Demarest Yant, who wanted to know if Chicago banks have the all-clear to accept funds from legal marijuana businesses.

Applicants are so fearful of offending Rauner that they are reluctant to go on the record about their concerns, but chief among them is the rising tide of costs with nothing to show for it.

‘The longer it takes, the more money they’re having to burn through without any guarantee they’re going to get a permit or see a return on their investment,” said Kris Krane, a managing partner of 4Front Advisors, a marijuana consulting firm.

Krane, who is working with several applicants in Illinois, declined to speak about specific applicants.

But one of the people Krane works with is strip club and trucking firm owner Perry Mandera, who hopes to grow and sell medical marijuana in Chicago. Mandera has said he’s invested $10 million just into the cultivation center on the city’s Southeast Side.

Even for smaller players, the costs add up, records show.

For example, Organic Leaf Medical Dispensaries, which seeks to open a dispensary in the Ukrainian Village neighborhood, had by November shelled out nearly $300,000 to lawyers, lobbyists, consultants and an architect, according to City of Chicago records obtained through the Freedom of Information Act.

That doesn’t include application fees.

It cost applicants a non-refundable $25,000 fee to apply for a cultivation center licenses and non-refundable $5,000 fee for a dispensary license.

So far, the state’s collected $5 million in fees from the more than 350 applications submitted.

An owner of Organic Leaf, Iman Bambooyani, said the group is paying rent and utilities at their proposed site at 744 N. Damen. The group also applied for three other dispensary licenses, Bambooyani said.

“I’m just hoping for the best,” he said.

Other applicants have said they have options to rent or buy properties contingent on getting the state license.

And when those expire, applicants have to re-up and pay up or lose the carefully selected property, some said.

“These businesses have put in a tremendous amount of investment just to get to the point of applying for licenses, and when the process breaks down like this, that leaves them stuck with the bill and nothing to show for it,” said Taylor West, deputy director of the National Cannabis Industry Association.

On average, marijuana entrepreneurs spent at least $100,000 just on the application process, said Sara Gullickson, vice president of sales for MariMed Advisors, a medical marijuana consulting firm working with applicants in Illinois.

“Everybody is pretty concerned,” Gullickson said. “They’ve spent a lot of time, money and resources on these applications.”

Those costs will eventually fall on patients, said Rep. Lou Lang, the Skokie Democrat who sponsored the medical marijuana legislation.

“All of that may add to the price [of the marijuana] when the patients buy it,” Lang said. “Businessmen don’t want to lose money. It’s not good for patients for this to extend much longer.”

Lang said members of the Rauner administration have met with Quinn holdovers to discuss the program. For now, Rauner is keeping Bob Morgan, the state’s medical marijuana czar, on board.

“Far be it from me to offer the new governor political advice, but if he asked, I would tell him it’s in the best political interest to just move the process along,” Lang said. “These are very sick people that need this product.”

Industry insiders say patients will continue to suffer until the issue is resolved.

“It is absurd that a program that was approved and began to be designed more than a year ago and should be right now providing serious relief for critically ill patients is instead hung up in some kind of bureaucratic or political wrangling,” West said.

First of all, the state really screwed these applicants over by delaying the license issuance. I mean, people could sue over this. dont know if theyll get any money back but at least they could force the state to issue the licenses.
Second, that one guy spent 300K on consultants, lawyers, lobbyists and architects for 4 dispensaries.
I think the consultants, lawyers, lobbyists and architects are the only ones who will be making any money in these ventures...
You win, Julian. You win. <slow clap>

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Spoken once again like someone who thinks he knows something....

So you assume for a moment you have any knowledge of what interests I have in this process?....

Once again.....I'll ask:

Are you sure?

You have no idea what I do, and do not have in this game.

Those armchairs must feel so good.......

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I dont know, something about you charging 50k for consulting on license apps?
Or did you take a contingent fee? in which case, hope it works out for you man.

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The above you referenced was merely for a sit down actually, not full service to turnkey, and was quoted to a group of selfish, self centered men with no interests other than their own, whose licensure would serve no other than themselves, and were declined as well....

We structured what we believe was fair and just,especially given what the state has required people to outlay without any guarantee, which, I personally, don't believe is/was right.

I also would say I have saved many more money already than others have spent...

Let's clarify something: I am a legitimate businessman who holds multiple state licenses, bound by code of ethics and professional standards with never a single complaint or discipline against said licenses in 25 years, no arrests, and not even a traffic ticket in said time period. I represent my clients best interests, which in many cases, are not in my own ($). Honesty, integrity and fiduciary duty I have carried over to this industry, and I'm proud of such.

There's more than enough money to go around without having to compromise the above. (So I say. Others? I can't speak for them...and sure many do not conduct their affairs in the same manner(s).

Money means nothing to me. Bottom of my list. I do what I believe is right, what is fair, and what I can be comfortable with. I will never compromise who and what I am and believe in for money which is readily created 100 different ways every day of our lives.

For many? This might very well be their only game and shot.

For me it's not. I have many interests which will carry far into the future and require the above, so.....

To each their own.

We do actually have a client in which we are operating at a loss, structured to compensate on victory with a back up project elsewhere to fully return their outlay should a victory not occur. (Return of all money paid to others....)

Last edited:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Whatever you say.

It's disappointing that rauner hasnt issued the licenses yet and has no timetable on which to do so. I was hoping that despite him being a republican he wouldnt interfere with state law just because it deals with cannabis.
But it's only been a week, hopefully something happens soon...

growteam

Julien as some friendly advice from another person in the same industry. You need to pay attention to your PR more. I think the way you are intending to come across is not the way people are perceiving you.

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
PR?...This is not business.....I'm merely a member/guy here....(10 years now....), but I thought I would correct some misconceptions above although personally the explanation shouldn't have been necessary in the first place.

I'm just a guy talkin......I have an interest in the topic, so....I do.

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
CHICAGO (WLS) --
Patients who rely on the healing effects of medicinal marijuana in the Chicago area say they feel like they've been forgotten.

Former governor Pat Quinn left office without be issuing licenses to dispense medical marijuana.

Patients say they are being used as political pawns in their wait for medical marijuana.

The law was passed in August of 2013. Patients say time is ticking as Illinois' pilot cannabis program expires in three years. For many, cannabis is their only medical hope.

Kelly Sindowski's son Harrison is almost 3-years-old. He has a severe form of epilepsy that causes 10-15 seizures a day. Sindowski hopes medical cannabis will be the key to easing Harrison's pain...

"He doesn't speak," Sindowski says. "He is developmentally and physically behind. We are hoping this gives him a little less seizure activity to get him learning and more focused."

Marla Levi and Julie Falco already know cannabis works to relieve their constant leg pain from Multiple Sclerosis.

"Cannabis, when it starts working, it calms everything down and I'm able to function and have a better quality of life," Falco says.

"if it wasn't for the medical cannabis I would be in bed all day," says Levi. "It loosens the tightness."

Levi, Falco and Sindowski thought by now they would have access to medical marijuana in Illinois. Sindowki and several other hopeful patients attended Gov. Quinn's bill signing ceremony for the Illinois Medical Cannibas Pilot Program a year and half ago. But Quinn left office without issuing licenses for cultivation centers and dispensing organizations.

"We felt we had a win," Sindowsky says. "It's kind of like saying, you won't get your trophy for another year. It's rough we are running out of time."

Patients are now spending their time putting pressure on Gov. Bruce Rauner. Each took a turn calling his office today.

"We are asking we are begging for compassion because he holds the key to our medicine," Levi says.

Tuesday, Rauner's office responded by simply saying it is "under review." While no time table has been given, patients are encouraged that the governor did rehire Gov. Quinn's project coordinator for the cannabis program.

amannamedtruth

Veteran
Just saw this. Reading that story makes some of the selection process seem a bit fishy, not that it wasn't fishy before the applications were even submited

growteam

In my opinion they should move forward with whats on the table. Everyone on that list scored high. Patients have waited long enough.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Well, for some reason they had every app scored but quinn decided not to issue any licenses before he left office. Is it because he was afraid that some of these licensees might come back and bite him (do something wrong, etc)? Maybe he just wanted to wash his hands of the whole thing, for some as yet unknown reason.
Whatever. It will be interesting to see who actually gets the licenses now, if that matches closely the released rankings, or if rauner's administration decides to redo the rankings entirely. Which if they do, we're looking at fall for the first medicine to be available?
This fucking state just cannot get its act together sometimes. The very definition of bureaucracy.