What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

If you use Too Much Lime - How do you Repair the Soil ?

Coba

Veteran
"Decomposing wood, bark, leaves, etc, everywhere."

I bet, just an educated guess really, that by the time that material makes it into the soil it's in super small pieces of poo. If not poo, at least that material gets weathered down to a size small enough to get naturally tilled into the first few inches of the actual soil... perhaps by litter eating bugs and maybe some heavy worm action that's great for aeration. But, 1/2" chunky perlite sized bark, wood, or leaf pieces evenly distributed throughout the entire soil?

When I think of stuff decaying in the forest things like fungus, moss, lichen and ferns generally come to mind as what I see growing directly in decomposing trees.

Don't get me wrong, I have perlite, lava rock, pool filter sand, calcined clay, leaf litter etc... all in my raised beds... I'm not starting the anti-aeration amendment revolution. And I'm not going back into those beds and getting that stuff out of there... but, I am starting to re-think it's purpose/value. Along with what and which ones are actually necessary or not. Because, when I make a container with soil that has had all of the aeration screened out... after sitting in the pots for a while, I can't tell a difference.

I would think plastic pots make great aeration amendments as well... If you can find a chipper/shredder, all you have to do is run as many black nursery pots as you can find through that some bitch, and boom! lightweight aeration that won't decompose. :tiphat:

milkyjoe

Veteran
I actually lile 1/4 inch basalt for aeration. It breaks down over time but you know the microbes are working and you get that spongy deal...no need to replace it by then

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Aye, I get what you're saying and agree with all of it really, except for the nature comparison (and even then only how it relates to some).

There are a lot of growers replicating natural soil conditions and environment, but I'd be willing to bet that most grow in homogenous container mixes with regular irrigation (re: reference to plastic pots).

We lack differing layers of soil, natural aerators (worms and other detritivores) and a host of other variables that spurr growth in the great outdoors. Generally speaking.

Most of our base mixes draw from nursery culture (or build upon it), and truth be told I haven't grown or compared growth with more traditional mixes (topsoil, compost, sand mixes). It wouldn't surprise me if this strongly held belief that every container mix needs one part this, one part that, was incorrect. Or at least, am open to challenging standard paradigms.

God damnit. Not even sure why I post when it's not the main thing on my mind. Neglected to mention the main point. Removing all aeration amendments will reduce total porosity, particularly aeration porosity. And am now distracted. Beer me...

Here's a link I've enjoyed reading in the spare tire.

Coba

Veteran
God damnit. Not even sure why I post when it's not the main thing on my mind. Neglected to mention the main point. Removing all aeration amendments will reduce total porosity, particularly aeration porosity. And am now distracted. Beer me...

Here's a link I've enjoyed reading in the spare tire.

thanks for the link.

Latest posts

Latest posts