What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

If it doesn't Shatter, it doesn't matter! Tribute to Jolly Rancher Amber Glass Thread

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^
Thanks for the tips. I need a book to though. I have never used a syringe filter or a vacuum filter. high school chemistry didn't exactly cover how to use that equipment to make hash oil. also vacuum filter sounds expensive, and like I could hurt myself with it if I fuck up.

Trichgnomes

Good point MG on washing out the filters to minimize tithings to the filter gods!

Ahh yes, those damned filter gods! I must admit, I do tend to make weekly sacrificial offerings myself.

Although, it makes me wonder if that at all helps my filter karma, as I have yet to have a blowout. ::knocks on wood::
:laughing:

ithruxix

Yeah, it's 150, all we can get here in Cali. I tried heating it already, but apparently not enough. I heated it once, froze it twice, and filtered three times. I'll try that. Thanks!

I get 190 all the time

winechateauDOTcom.

I LOVE the shatter, it is awesome. However I only have a couple of pics of some budder in my pics, I never get a chance to photo any of it, its just *bam* gone. lol.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^
Thanks for the tips. I need a book to though. I have never used a syringe filter or a vacuum filter. high school chemistry didn't exactly cover how to use that equipment to make hash oil. also vacuum filter sounds expensive, and like I could hurt myself with it if I fuck up.

Sorry if my technababble makes it sound complicated, because it is not. I do my best to control myself, but may the great spirit forgive me for ongoing use of technical jargon to keep the market price up in the profession that I retired from? Tongue and cheek summarily bitten!

I'll take more pictures when I have an extra set of hands available, but all of the above is dirt simple, so not to worry!

Syringe filters and different sized syringes are readily available either on e-bay or at your local scientific supply store. We like a local firm, whose focus is school supplies so the prices are often more reasonable than industrial suppliers. I would identify them, but do not wish to bring them federal grief. Check your local yellow pages or on line for scientific suppliers of schools and universities.

We also use a business account, vis a vis a private individual purchase, so you might consider using a friend who has one, or opening a business of your own.

A syringe filter will typically come as either a syringe filter membrane holder, with cheap replaceable membranes, or as a complete throwaway syringe filter. They both come with Luer connections that just screw on.

The membranes are of course cheaper, but the throwaways are faster.

We use both 0.45 micron and 0.2 micron membranes. For final polish, we use the 0.2 micron, because it also takes out the bacteria, et al.

For what is worth, in a previous unretired professional lifetime, I once remediated a Thorium Oxide LSA radioactive waste stream to below local groundwater background, by lime flocculation and subsequent microfiltration at 0.2 microns.

The local agency in command continuously monitored our waste stream, as did we, and as a show and tell public demonstration, we subsequently passed the water through an aquarium and raised goldfish and a few exotics to demonstrate the quality of the effluent.

Membranes come in both hydrophobic and hydrophilic. The first will pass solvents, but not water, and the second will pass water, but resists solvents. Pay attention to that aspect when purchasing membranes or filters.

Vacuum filtration is easy and not even really necessary, but sure saves bunches of time!

What we use is an attachment that screws on the top of a 1.75 glass 190 proof Clear Springs bottle, and has both a funnel with filter to pour the solution through, and a vacuum port to attach a vacuum source.

That and all sorts of other vacuum filtration arrangements are readily available.

Vacuum pumps are readily available, but without question, the cheapest vacuum solution is to simply use an attachments to your kitchen faucet, that produces the vacuum that you covet, simply using water flow.

For best price, check your local science store that focuses on education, vis a vis industrial sales. I recently purchased a faucet vacuum aspirator for under $15.

Think simple (ghetto)!

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Excellent. I used to use a big vacuum filter like that to clean my pool. I didnt know you could get one for making hash oil that works the same

Well I cant wait to get started. Thanks so much for all the advice

IMG_3688.jpg

Top Left= Alcohol Washed Filter Reclaim
Top Right = Small Buds of Kush
Bottom = Kush Budder

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Membranes come in both hydrophobic and hydrophilic. The first will pass solvents, but not water, and the second will pass water, but resists solvents. Pay attention to that aspect when purchasing membranes or filters.

Which is it that you use? Or do you use both in different steps?

jump117

Veteran
Top Left= Alcohol Washed Filter Reclaim
Top Right = Small Buds of Kush
Bottom = Kush Budder
Hey medicalgreen!
You are comparing consumer quality of these samples?
Alcohol Washed Filter Reclaim in my opinion is oxidized ex-amber THCA resin.
I think that reclaim has a higher content of CBN, compared to amber sample on the top right.
Please describe them in comparison.

Hey medicalgreen!
You are comparing consumer quality of these samples?
Filter Alcohol Washed Filter Reclaim in my opinion is oxidized ex-amber THCA resin.
I think that reclaim has a higher content of CBN, compared to amber sample on the top right.
Please describe them in comparison.

Jump,
I have not had enough experience with them all to compare very well. So far I find that the budder is slightly stronger, but with less flavor. Have not tried the reclaim very much yet. I will post my full taste test in the near future.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Which is it that you use? Or do you use both in different steps?

I use either, depending on what I am filtering. Most of the time I use hydrophobic filters, because I'm filtering solvents.

This is what you have to sacrifice.....
IMG_3689.jpg

In order to get this.....
IMG_3692.jpg

But reclaiming your filter God sacrifices can make the Dark Amber up above and turning that to Budder will get your poop brown shatter budder as shown on the bottom. Best tasting brown poop I ever vaped! :yummy:

That's True OG on the far right, peach colored. That's Budder on the bottom middle, made from medium/high grade trim. Taken first from Shatter, then to Budder.

jump117

Veteran
THCA decarboxylates to THC, but THCA does not degrade into CBD, it will into CBN, but not much after just 7 months.
Curing is not the same.
-SamS
My filter reclaim formed from brittle amber resin remaining on the filter.
After oxidation in air at room temperature only changed color, consistency remains fragile.
It is interesting to learn in terms of the chemistry of cannabis,
what happens when THCA oxidized bypassing decarboxylation?
What is oxide of THCA while THC oxide is CBN?

G.O. Joe

Veteran
All the major cannabinoids also exist in their acid form. Oxidation here refers to hydrogen removal, rather than addition of oxygen, etc. I assume major color changes are not due to cannabinoids and that a sample of THCA will look much the same after it isn't THCA any more, and higher purity THCA is much more stable than otherwise. I posted before about some pure enough to be a very fine powder, which is made in bad yield easily enough. And that left on a plate right by the window for weeks, there was little obvious change, but then it's not like I have a GC running.

And maybe there is some isomerization to delta-8 THC(A) by UV if there is any around.

CO Budderworth

If I could get my hands on this. Have only been able to find amber once here, but looks nothing like that. This was more like a red rock opium color and look. Came from a creditable company to, really expensive to $50 a gram

So I have some Orange Budder made from Bubba Kush, that is about 2 months old. It's been sitting and aging, from negect and preference for other shatters I've made recently. I started on it again, after about 3 weeks of not touching it. It's clearly degrading. It was a soft, not completely hard amber when I allowed it to sit originally. It was slightly sticky to the touch, but clear and breakable still.

Now it's a darker orange Budder, more like Puddy than clear glass. I smoked two hits on my vape swing yesterday.

That's the last thing I remember.

I would write more about this experience, but my mind was left so numb, and blank brained that I don't remember much more than being somewhere far away from my body, drifting through space through clear but slightly fuzzy thoughts, and suddenly realized, "shit, I should not be driving right now." :eek::

That was almost too much!

I think that aging Budder gets better and better!

I would seriously like to know the science behind BUDDER, I and some people I know are in the mindset that budder is unstable and usually underpurged for one reason or another.

I would seriously like to know the science behind BUDDER, I and some people I know are in the mindset that budder is unstable and usually underpurged for one reason or another.

No No No. Not what I make and I'm talking about, as shown in some of my pics here. That Budder is made AFTER shatter is made, not before. It's not underpurged, as it's already beyond completely purged before it reaches the shatter state.

I think some earwax or variations in some clubs of budder can be underpurged. If it's just made from butane direct, then whipped, it can definitely be underpurged. So you may be correct, about some of the variations of it out there. I used to think it was all that way, too. But it's not.

Latest posts

Latest posts