What's new

If I were a seed company

bigbrokush

Lets say that I was a new seed company. And my company model would be no seed over $30 no matter what it is. What would be the F2's that you would like to see most in this company?

P

Psychosativa

In my case, no F2's at all, but F1 hybrids of highly reputed IBL's.

I gotta go with psychosativa on this one. F2's are something best left as a freebie with an order. Or possibly rare or discontinued genetics. But when there are so many cheap F1's on the market I avoid F2's.

bigbrokush

My thinking is more of a generic seeds company like a Barr Pharmaceuticals; they take such as Pfizer, and make the drugs affordable for patients. I’m thinking the same thing in this case. Which is taking the big seed companies and making the seeds affordable for the avg person that can’t spend $190 on Soma’s gear, or $120 on DNA’s stuff…..ect. It could be like Nirvana everything on that list is a generic seed (knock off) for much less of the price.

G

grapepunched

Why don't you just become original and breed your own hybrids or lines instead of cashing in on the hard work of real breeders by making F2s and under-selling them???

Seems you wanna ride the gravy train on someone else's work... making money on others work is wrong IMO... i.e. taking a well known seed co's prized and expensive strains and then just F2ing them...

Breed a real strain... take time in your selections... make a new strain, quit just chuckin pollen for cash.

Good luck on whatever you do...

-gp

edit: What are you trying to be, the next Joey Weed? lol

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
lets see, this idea was kicked around before once, and i like the soubd of it. i remember someone joking around about making Cheep Dunk, $2o packs of deep chunk with atleast 15 beans in it. johnny blaze f2s are something i think that should be looked into regardless of what anyone else says. with super silver haze and dj shorts dead bb male theres bound to be a solid blueberry haze pheno similar to the fabled bbs. any of rezdogs past releases that are unavailable now would be good too, i.e. bottle rocket, speedball, orange apollo. id say dj shorts work also, but its kind of hard to, the only thing making me say that is the price tag, but the end result almost always backs up the cost for his genetics. MODs burmese mist is another id like to see back and available, and i guess with his recent declaration of a long sabatical almost any of moonshineman's releases too. the more i think about it the longer i could go on...

Z

zoolander

Didn't nirvana already do this one . Atleast Joey has A decent eye

bigbrokush

Here Here, ever breeder in the world has jumped on someones else's crosses, not one seed company out there can say different. I'm looking at it in the same form as big business. I'm a business man first, and I think that if more people can get what they want for less is what the world wants. When the doctor tells you GRAPEPUNCHED, the pills you're going to have to take is going to cost you $200 for 2 week worth, or you can get the generic ones for $30 dollars, which ones are you going to buy?
Do you or have you ever bought Nirvana Seeds GrapePunched? If you have then you have just supported what I'm speaking of. And yes there will be new lines,of course. Some that you can't get any other way, like California strains.

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
well, IF i did knock offs of someone elses work, thats no longer available, it'd be split up as 50% freebies, the other 50% sold dirt cheap, with half of that going back to the IC. But thats only IF i decided to do anything ....

Geronimo

Well, I think that this idea may just have some feet. Heck I would go for Bog's gear at $30. Where else would I get it at now? Orgn Kids stuff for $30 would be off the charts. I'm down!!!! How many seeds in a pack?

Lean Green

Operating Outside the Law
ICMag Donor
Veteran
bigbrokush said:
Lets say that I was a new seed company. And my company model would be no seed over $30 no matter what it is. What would be the F2's that you would like to see most in this company?
I'd like to see you give away some F2's and grow out a bunch more to incross the line a few generations. When you have created your own line then sell it and cross it to some other Inbred lines to make hybrids. But that will be a lot of work.

G

grapepunched

What I mean is put the work in!
Take a line, and work it... continue to stabilize the traits of the plant that you strive for and when you have put in the effort of breeding multiple generations of plants, then you may truly have your own inbred line or strain / polyhybrid...

Then I would say sell it after you tested it...
I believe there is a difference in pollen chuckin and true breeding...
Did BOG's special bubblegum genes look anything like White Labels Double Gum???

Heck no! ! ! ! ! !

Many growers here would agree.... :$

But go ahead make that money.... another day another dollar...
That's what makes a breeder a breeder, when he puts the work and love into his progeny...

-gp

joebean91

hang the sonofabitch anyways
ICMag Donor
Hey GP , couldn't agree more . also im a huge BOG fan and didn't mean any disrespect . Peace

Since most of the strains commercially available in seed form are not stable , what I would like to start seeing is people put in the effort to inbreed and stabilize these strains . A good place to start is Gypsy's thai & laos and also oldtimers haze . Other avenues you could take that I'd personally be very interested in are the African Seeds lines , (especially Kariba Suprise , Zambian Copper , & Transkie green ) , reefermans OPT lines , the first releases of serious seeds stock .

Last edited:
Doesn't the F2 market sort itself out over time?

Pollen chukka hits the market and a few people post results and lets say P Chukka got lucky and they're good value. The guy would have to be real lucky with every set of parents to keep his rep, more chance of winning the lottery?

So he goes for the future sales and tests everything before selling it, gives out freebies etc. and with hard work and aptitude his name is worth something. The time and space spent testing could have been used to produce weed for the market so there is a financial penalty to testing and it's not unreasonable to want compensation for that.

The better the F2 guys, the more pressure there is on the F1 suppliers to keep the quality high.

Pharma Geddon said:
The better the F2 guys, the more pressure there is on the F1 suppliers to keep the quality high.

Cause and effect is beautifully spelled out here. Competition IS not a bad thing. However, the F2 guys need to be good at what they do, and hence become good competition which will the catalyst for the big guys to up their game. This happens all the time in business.

There is a caveat to this: If the big guy just releases a new strain, have some respect, and don't release F2s of it 3 months after they release it. That's pretty lame and people have good memories. Instead, just collect your seeds, select your parents, do the tests, then release it during a drought of that strain at least a couple years later. Of course, some strains are way older then that now and are public domain, so go ahead, the world needs you.

And give props to the original breeder, it's just prudent.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
$30 a seed sounds gawd awful expensive. I can't imagine paying that for any hybrid. If you want me to cough up $450 for a pack of seeds I want to see 100% pure Acapulco Gold or similar.