What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

IDIOT's GUIDE TO PPK

SecondAttempt

IF... are you for recirculating coco? I'm trying to choose my media and would appreciate input. I would use Turface but its a real bitch to find. I have a lot of coco, but would need more to go that route. NAPA 8822 is readily available and cheap enough. So anyone care to steer me in a direction.

Re: IDIOT's GUIDE TO PPK

What I'm saying is the roots from above smart pot will grow down into second smart pot with hydrogen.wicking without the wick.

I think that without at least some gap you risk root rot with organics...one of the reasons for a tailpipe is that in essence it extends the bucket, the air gap determines how wet your bucket gets...if it's too high then the bottom 2-4" of your smart pot may get too wet and you get root rot...

there are some journals of people using smart pots in ppk's...I tried it with a plastic tailpipe scans it didn't work very well but I did see one person using microfiber clothes add wicks in smart pots working very well...

Then again, you might as well try it and let us know the results...I love experimentation... I just started an organic grow, I thought about organic ppk but wasn't too get more experience with organic before trying it...

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
NAPA 8822 is readily available and cheap enough

I have seen lots of reports of infested coco being brought into gardens (root aphids, fungus gnats).

8822 is higher flowing than most coco consistencies... and I like that. It needs to be well washed, or the dust will form a clogging paste at the bottom of the containers.

So if it's easy to get a hold of, I'd run 8822. It is easier to reuse too, if that's a concern.

D

DaveTheNewbie

"Better water retention"... does that mean less drainage, or more solution adhesion to the minerals without substantially decreas9ing gas content in the media?

Do you know about the chemistry of these minerals? Maybe a strong charge of whatever nute program before you use this stuff so it doesn't steal a bunch of nutes from your run and imbalance your profile unnecessarily.

I'll argue with you on recirculating coco. But not if you don't want to.

mate i have zero interest in argueing. I have crazy opinions and they are my opinions. I value yours as well.

Spongolite is sea sponges that have been covered in silica so they are now silica sea sponges and they can hold insane amounts of water in them. Zeolite has a CEC of 1500 or something stupid like that.

Again i dont want to argue about my minerals vs your minerals, i just want to produce options for thought. I have never said that my minerals are better than DE, just that they have interesting properties worthy of consideration.

im also looking at attapulgite (cat litter) as a disposable medium. It turns to mud over a year or so, but if its replaced every grow its supposed to be awesome.

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
My minerals are bigger than your minerals, and they can beat your minerals up.

Holding water?

Is that a good thing?

I don't know.

Might be.

You might want to test your blends PWT with a clear container and a hole drilled out of the bottom. (Fill the container with media and water, let the water drain out and see how high the remaining water lives.)

High CECs provide buffering once charged, right? So that might be nice. Or not. I don't really understand the functioning dynamics. Once it's charged, I'd try and deliver as much as the plant needs through feed, rather than media. But that's just because I don't understand root exudate and osmotic imbalances or even what the fuck a positively charged ion might like for breakfast.

I think that the most important dynamic in a hard-walled PPK is the gas exchange. You know your spongy calcified minerals better than I do. If you think it'll drain, and in draining, pull in new air... go for it.

Do you have to clean it to get out dust, or is it prewashed from the calcium sponge source?

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
Oh shit, they're silica sponges. (I like that idea.) I never have enough silica. Doesn't silica effect pH? How stable is it. I like it. Sponges. Silica.

Maina

Veteran
037-4.jpg

lake spot plants set in the water for 5 months all good
011-12.jpg

bog plants set in water 5 inches 5 months all good
010-15.jpg

did this for 3 years put plants out set them in bogs springs and lakes plants loved it none ever died. Now my soil mix took years to come up with all organic cooked water only never had 1 diff. ever no cal/mag problems no yellow leafs and big buds.
022-5.jpg
seting in a spring Ice cold water.
026-9.jpg
seting in kiddy pools full water .never waterd from the top.so to me the root rot thing is out the window.the organic water only yup. add pumps float valves and yea haw this will work

Maina

Veteran
I will run it on a small scale first one set up see how it goes.If it goes well im back to growing trees and having a life again not tied down by my plants :woohoo:

D

DaveTheNewbie

My minerals are bigger than your minerals, and they can beat your minerals up.

well my dads minerals are bigger than your dads minerals

High CECs provide buffering once charged, right? So that might be nice. Or not. I don't really understand the functioning dynamics. Once it's charged, I'd try and deliver as much as the plant needs through feed, rather than media. But that's just because I don't understand root exudate and osmotic imbalances or even what the fuck a positively charged ion might like for breakfast.

you know big words that i dont do if you dont know whats going on how the hell would i ?

I think that the most important dynamic in a hard-walled PPK is the gas exchange. You know your spongy calcified minerals better than I do. If you think it'll drain, and in draining, pull in new air... go for it.

they shouldnt stop gas exchange as i see it. we will find out tho

Do you have to clean it to get out dust, or is it prewashed from the calcium sponge source?

they say its clean. I say im gonna rinse it and i bet good money that theres all sorts of shit in there.

PS awesome photos mania, love your work

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
If it is a zeolite I would give it some nutes and a flush before I put plants into it. Zeolites tend to hold onto the first nutes and starve your plants if not precharged. Especially the calcium.

frankenstein2

Astronaut Status
Veteran
Here they are sorry guys.

Attachments

• IMG_20120820_134515.jpg
    IMG_20120820_134515.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20120820_134531.jpg
    IMG_20120820_134531.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20120820_134543.jpg
    IMG_20120820_134543.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20120820_134637.jpg
    IMG_20120820_134637.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20120820_140412.jpg
    IMG_20120820_140412.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 29

SecondAttempt

I've been searching all night and my eyes have officially crossed...

What is the preferred silicone to seal the tailpieces to the upper bucket? I don't want to use something toxic.

Has anyone used just PVC without the lip with success as a tailpiece? I'm wondering if the silicone will hold or will the media push the tail out.

Any input?

D

DaveTheNewbie

I've been searching all night and my eyes have officially crossed...

What is the preferred silicone to seal the tailpieces to the upper bucket? I don't want to use something toxic.

Has anyone used just PVC without the lip with success as a tailpiece? I'm wondering if the silicone will hold or will the media push the tail out.

Any input?

i used sink tailpieces that had screw in thingies.
i would imagine any aquarium quality silicone would have to be a good bet.

Latest posts

Latest posts