What's new

Ideas for coping with the HEATWAVE - share your ideas

Montuno

...como el Son...
lol, 40°C and 85-90% RH will make a wimp out of anyone, even your badass not-wimpy Amish friends in the picture🤣

Ja, ja, ja...

Don't even think of giving them that much moisture! But don't you see in the photo how green it is, it looks like they live in the middle of a golf course!
Nahhh... You send me the excess humidity, and I'll send the meme's people 45°C in the shade (and get into a fight with sheep, goats, wild bulls, and wild fauna to make them place you under the shade of a holm oak or a cork oak), no more than 10% humidity, and a refreshing breath of Saharan haze turning into a sandstorm, heh.
Albacete (not the East Canary Islands, nor Ceuta, nor Melilla, nor the desert of Almeria...not even East Andalucia or Murcia) last year's June:

Last edited:

Montuno

...como el Son...
Uno se aclimata. Sabía que lo hicimos en GW1. Donde teníamos frío a 112 grados F a la sombra.

Heh, you remind me of my late maternal grandfather, who had the end of the war and the concentration camp in the south of today's Western Sahara, near the border with Mauritania....: - "This youth of today can't even stand flies on the snout..... When I was young in the Sahara..."...How I miss his stories about the desert....

Last May a first cousin of my mother's (my grandfather's nephew) came to visit us, and we recalled his "little battels".... in his case, he served militarily in the Spanish Sahara more recently, in the 70's, in the Spanish-Saharawi Nomadic Troops: "With the water that a single gringo marine drinks in Iraq, we supported my patrol, dromedaries included...", etc... etc....

But when they spoke/spoke seriously, did they remember that not even the Bedouins would think of coming out of the shadow of the jaima from 13 to 17 pm...

...But the day my second cousin go back in time to GM1 in his "little battles". , I'll start to worry, hehe....

Come on, taking advantage of the good light, let's go on a patrol with my second cousin, to guard the Mauritanian border...
You get over the heat with these refreshing images of the 70's...

Last edited:

Cerathule

an occasional bath
bedrohliches-nilpferd-im-sambesi-a6db30ac-8305-4461-9349-6613ff6cf226.jpg

will save even the fattest specimen from heatstroke

nilpferd-239029.jpg

Growenhaft

our cities were planned and built without taking climate change into account... Façades made of glass... generally many glass fronts... poor air flow within the business and residential areas... building upwards.... all very bad decisions.

In addition, there is the negligent handling of our water... it is not distributed correctly.... Remove and waste water from conurbations eelches in the surrounding area is missing. the natural water cycle has been disturbed by man... this is accelerating the climate crisis and the associated consequences... it is aggravating and amplifying it.

we humans have gotten lost... and now there is an urgent need for vigilant world politics... to take countermeasures... to prepare new living space for the coming situations... cities that would be planned fairly under the coming climate situation would be completely different look.
from the water supply and distribution and its treatment and reuse to the air flow prevention of heat spots. the advantages of civil engineering and the cheap and environmentally friendly air conditioning of this
for civil engineering, we would plant a lot of trees in the inhabited areas... overall a lot of greenery... and little asphalt and concrete. but that should start now...

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
"One becomes acclimatized. I knew we did in GW1. Where we were cold @ 112 deg F in the shade."
-switcher56

its people like soldiers/ fire fighters who hare most at risk doing heavy work in full gear in the heat
i love the desert still and am very heat tolerant but have seen people go down from the heat and its not cool; plus i hear once you get it you are more prone to get it again
you know how they take your body temp if you go down with heat stroke?
Eh... this was downtown Dubai ( I was a sailor) :)

That jacket came in handy as evening came in the desert (read at about super time moving forward). Folks have died of hypothermia in the desert... Those that didn't bring a jacket, wish they did :)
Album5_036.jpg
Album5_031.jpg

Montuno

...como el Son...
"In my region, we've been experiencing the coolest summer in my life (I think). It's been in the upper 60s (F) mostly. Day after day, it's been so nice! I hope it stays this way. Already halfway through summer!"
-hempymcnoodle

like a summer that never was; we had one of those a few years back and i loved it
im with you man! as i get older i like being comfortable more and more
summer is nice and i like the longer days, but i dont enjoy the heat as much
when its cool, you can always put on a long sleeve shirt, there are only so many clothes you can take off when its hot, then you are still hot
/im sitting here naked right now!

its weird how the climate works but i hope you are enjoying your summer time man

eta, those guys in the vid look pretty squared away; i esp liked the guy wearing shades with a smoke in the background
that was very nice of them to give the deer some water and you could tell the animal appreciated it

They are forest brigadistas, coming from putting out a gigantic forest fire in the Sierra de La Culebra, I think, in the province of Zamora, which is almost the extreme northwest of our country ... The young roe deer had probably also escaped from the same fire...
For a wild roe deer in Spain to be approached and handled like this by humans... it was about to die of dehydration.

Three Berries

It was suppose to hit 95F yesterday but a front stalled and we had t-storms all day. Got a much needed 3" of rain and temps in mid 70Fs.

St. Phatty

One of the things I'm doing today is setting up a water tank, and putting a box fan on top of it, in one of the bedrooms. I will take temp readings all day. Then someday figure out how much cool ness you get from evaporating water.

Got ZERO sleep last night. Definitely got something similar to heat stroke. Even 76 degrees F - I was still sweating & couldn't sleep.

Also putting my "big sprinkler" on the roof of the house. It will keep the entire roof wet. Temps yesterday got up to about 104, but the problem is the night-time temps. It doesn't cool off.

I'd like to put a smaller sprinkler on top of the garage/ chicken coop, but I know I'm weakened and it is a little dicey with the ladder. I have a big permanent ladder for the main house, sort of like stairs for the roof.

Our moron town has a "Cooling Center" - that is closed on Mondays ?!

Anyway, it's very interesting. I know millions of people are going through something similar.

There are so many things we can do. E.g. putting mirrors on the roof to reflect the sun.

I locked the chicken coop so the birds couldn't go in there till the temps were down to about 95 F. Otherwise they go in there and won't leave. Yesterday it got to about 105 F.

That is actually the temperature the psycho Cruel chicken farmers use to kill chickens. They kill them using heat, that is a common ag. method & one of the reasons I don't buy commercial chicken - or pork.

Three Berries

FWIW with water on the roof it's the minimum you want for most efficiency, no runoff and max evaporation. But with minerals in the water you need excess and still will get mineral build up.

Reflective film on the celling will work as a temp fix.

St. Phatty

Man, coughing up Phlegm never felt SO GOOD ... comparatively.

I think I've managed to learn EVERY lesson about dealing with heat.

Sunday night when I turned on the house air to bring in outside air at midnight, the dust filter BUCKLED - and it spit a whole bunch of dust into the ducts of the house.

So then I was laying in the bedroom coughing at 1 AM in the morning, not knowing why.

If you really want to "Do Heat Right" - check your filters, and maybe glue a wood towel along the short side.

E.g. a 16 x 20 x 1 duct, the 16 inch edge is the one that buckled.

So I got a box fan and put that in the window of the bedroom.

My dust is mostly de-composed Granite, with traces of Copper, Gold, and Uranium (like most Granite).

So I breathed in a SERIOUS lung full of that shit.

Didn't smoke any pot yesterday, none today. Won't smoke until my lungs feel right.

I was sweating profusely when it was 76 F at 4 AM this morning. Because I spent too much time in the 80 to 85 F range.

Got zero sleep during the night. Managed to fall asleep in the bathtub for a few hours, and to cough up some more Phlegm.

That may not sound like fun, but it is so much better than the alternative.

Cuddles

it´s been very cold here for some days now. Yesterday afternoon it got really dark and then it rained pretty hard for 2 hours or so. No humidity beforehand though.

St. Phatty

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-what-we-know-dangers-heatstroke/10036028002/

heat is no joke and once your body temp reaches a certain level you are basically cooking from the inside out
drink plenty of water and limit your activity duiring the hottest parts of the day

I knew a Bikram Yoga instructor in San Diego, who was also a contractor.

He installed a heater the size of a fridge in the Living Room of a small house, where the yoga classes happened.

I swear, the room was about 140 F. It felt a lot like a sauna, which runs 195 F.

Afterwards, we went out for smoothies. We told him that so and so Fainted in the parking lot.

His response ... "it's good for you".

The Bikram Yoga people are into this WIERD "enlightenment through heat prostration" thing.

Cuddles

I used to have my rooms right under the roof -when living with my parents back in my school days and later at college too. The house in London was ancient and old fashioned - you know the ones - not insulated ,wooden floor boards and so on. It was freezing cold most of the year and boiling hot during the summer. I would have never survived those years without my combo fan heaters/ventilators. Needlss to say I had to rebuy once or twice...

Blue Rhino

I use two methods. The frozen towel on my head method and the take a nice cold bath method. The frozen towel method I figured out years ago while working in a pizza place with 600-700F ovens with temps and humidity so high you worked up a sweat just blinking.
The bath works just like a pool or a lake only with less water. You lose body heat 25x faster in water than in air. So if you haven't got a pool or there isn't a beach nearby, a cold bath is the next best thing.

*Caution. Don't just jump into a cold bath when you're feeling overheated as it could cause a heart attack. Same with any body of cold water. Run tepid water at first then after you climb in start increasing the cold water.

Man up, it gets to 44C (32C regularly) here in South Australia and the best I have is a portable evaporative cooler and ceiling fans and I cope OK, insulation in the building is key to escaping the heat.
For those that live in climates that water freezes all winter thier blood becomes thicker to help insult the heat in their bodies. When summer comes their blood is still thinning out, so I don't believe it's just a matter of man up. Also as to staying cool the head dissipates heat more efficiently than another part of the body as an act to protect the brain from too much heat. Using a cold compress on your forehead is a good way to cool down. Also you hands and feet I believe do the same thing. The blood vessels are close to the surface of the skin which helps with removing heat from the body. Running you hand and or forearms under cool water will also help.

Cuddles

Running you hand and or forearms under cool water will also help.

yep, I always do this when I´m too hot and washing my hands anyway and it works really well (y)

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How to help your cat deal with hot weather

How Hot Is Too Hot For Cats? (Safe Temperature Range)

St. Phatty

As long as the cat is free to move around the house and/or go outside, it will find a cool place.

Unless you live somewhere where the outdoors is also not a cool place.

although if there are too many mosquitoes ... I'm not sure what cats do then.