What's new

Ideas for coping with the HEATWAVE - share your ideas

Cuddles

It´s getting warm where I´m located too now. Sadly, so far it´s actually been kinda cold for spring/summer time.

But many parts of the world are practically melting away and experiencing a really record breaking heatwave.
People have died from heatstrokes, ended up in hospital due to dehydration and so on.

So what can people do to keep as cool as possible?

BTW suitable food and drink recipes are also welcome! ;)

Last edited:

Cuddles

Okay, here is my first suggestion and it really does work:

how to lower your body temerature:

Do cold wraps on your lower legs (or even on your lower arms too)

- soak 2 average size handtowels in really cold water and wrap them around your lower legs, like a bandage.

- Next, wrap another dry towel around on top of them.

- Leave on, lie down, sit and relax for 30 minutes - or longer if needed.

This is usually done when you´re sick and have a fever, so it really does help to cool your body off. :)

- Keep a bowl of water in the fridge so the water you use will be nice and cold :)

Three Berries

I grew up with no AC and never had any until 1980. I can tell you some stories about working hard physical labor in hot humid factory with full PPE.

They use to give out salt pills till they decided it wasn't a good idea. We did get free lemonade at break time. Sure kept me in shape though.....

Water, water, water. Either in you or on you.

Ca++

I provide lots of ice-poles and ice-creams at work. I also freeze bottles of water and put them in my pockets. A frozen hot water bottle was an interesting suggestion. I also considered a spray bottle for dampening my clothing.

Out in the fields I wear a comedy hat
iu

While fashion seems to reject such a hat, there is no other hat that doesn't smother your head. I have tried what the military use in desert and jungle, and it's woefully inferior to a sun shade that lets the breeze through still. As a girl, you can easily get away with a small sun umbrella. I have bought a couple of great ones for people I know. Ranging from cute to gothic.

The best compromise for lads seems to be the bucket hat with mesh sides for ventilation.
I have this
iu

Though the theme here is obviously gorilla related, there are one's more suited to town
iu

revegeta666

Coping with the heat wave? Easy: just think about how much hotter it is where @Montuno lives 😂

Seriously though keep hydrated and minimize physical tasks.

Also if you have a dog consider buying a cooling jacket for them.
IMG_20220721_104406.jpg

One of my dogs is getting old and is very sensitive to heat. I bought one of these and he can at least take a walk in the garden. It works in similar fashion to the method you described @Cuddles I guess. You drench it in cold water and it stays cool for a couple of hours.

RobFromTX

It´s getting warm where I´m located too now. Sadly, so far it´s actually been kinda cold for spring/summer time.

But many parts of the world are practically melting away and experiencing a really record breaking heatwave.
People have died from heatstrokes, ended up in hospital due to dehydration and so on.

Freeze your water bottles before you leave for the day. Wont last long but it helps

RobFromTX

Coping with the heat wave? Easy: just think about how much hotter it is where @Montuno lives 😂

Seriously though keep hydrated and minimize physical tasks.

Also if you have a dog consider buying a cooling jacket for them.
View attachment 18735809

One of my dogs is getting old and is very sensitive to heat. I bought one of these and he can at least take a walk in the garden. It works in similar fashion to the method you described @Cuddles I guess. You drench it in cold water and it stays cool for a couple of hours.
Thats awesome man. Its hard to watch your dogs reach that point in life where they get heat exhaustion. They get so limited. That should be some great relief

Montuno

...como el Son...
My remedy against the heat is an extreme survival psicological technique that I learned one summer in Montoro town at 47'5°C (117°F) in the shade....: To think that there will be someone further South going through more heat than you...

...and that on top of that someone tells you that if he/she has to choose, prefers an electric guitar to an air conditioner...

Suerte, salud, sombra y botijo.

Last edited:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!

Turn your clothes into a refrigerator, keep 'em wet. Same principle as a wine skin. I once had to prove the concept in the tropics. 1hr in the wine skin (you have to keep it wet) and you had chilled wine :)

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Okay, here is my first suggestion and it really does work:

how to lower your body temerature:

Do cold wraps on your lower legs (or even on your lower arms too)

- soak 2 average size handtowels in really cold water and wrap them around your lower legs, like a bandage.

- Next, wrap another dry towel around on top of them.

- Leave on, lie down, sit and relax for 30 minutes - or longer if needed.

This is usually done when you´re sick and have a fever, so it really does help to cool your body off. :)

- Keep a bowl of water in the fridge so the water you use will be nice and cold :)
all good suggestions @Cuddles but its your core temp you want to bring down, simply wear a wet t-shirt.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Gin and tonic.
Beer.
Hot curries (really).

Most of my summers used to be spent working in a glasshouse in 40+ degree heat. A town near where I used to live got up above 48C last summer. Coping with heat is mostly psychological, but if you wet a t-towel and put it in the freezer for a bit and wear it around your neck it can make things easier.