What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ice-tube cloner from WallyWorld

uffda

my local walmart didn't have these, and I can't seem to find them on amazon either? (except for ridiculously priced single items)

Do they still exist? anyone have a link?

justanotherbozo

Veteran
...yeah, i got my popsicle molds on ebay for like 3 bucks each and i like them way better than the original ice tubes, for one thing they are tapered so popping the rooted clones out is much easier, plus i can see the roots as they appear.

picture.php

...i also like the wider root system they form.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

...the nail with the old knob on the end is a ram i made to push my clones out from the bottom, pulling them out from the top can sometimes damage fragile new roots.

peace, bozo

uffda

...yeah, i got my popsicle molds on ebay for like 3 bucks each and i like them way better than the original ice tubes, for one thing they are tapered so popping the rooted clones out is much easier, plus i can see the roots as they appear.

View Image

...i also like the wider root system they form.

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

...the nail with the old knob on the end is a ram i made to push my clones out from the bottom, pulling them out from the top can sometimes damage fragile new roots.

peace, bozo

Wow, super detailed and helpful thank you!

:thank you:

I started this thread about 10 years ago...... the last year or so I had begun doing air layers exclusively....I live in michigan and they just changed the law here in this state..... and could do so in other states as well...

The reason I was doing air layering was because it fell thru the cracks in the law...

The old law was something like this....

A cutting does not become a plant until two things occur....one its cut from the mother plant and it has roots.....

here is the new definition in the michigan law for a plant...

(p) “Plant” means any living organism that produces its own food through photosynthesis and has observable root formation or is in growth material.

Pay attention to the or part in particular......

or is in growth material....

This means now in this state as soon as a cutting is put in medium its consider by porky a plant..... the same applies....imo to airlayers..... as soon as you make the air layer its a plant....

So Im now moving back to regular cloning but doing so in a way to conserve plant count....

Yall be careful out there.....ya hear....

SInce I have given up air layering.....I have devoted some time to creating a better cloner....

I have put together a system which I believe can make any one a great cloner.....

IN the beginning of this thread my emphasis was on environment..... especially temps.....

I found that if you kept the clones from 80 to 85 degrees the cuttings were very willing to root..... I had said that while this cloner is the best cloner out there that you dont plug in.....

I have now created ....I believe an improved model that you do in fact plug in....... the cost is reasonable..... but not cheap.....

This is the key to controlling your environment..... I just received this thing in the mail and put together the box this weekend it performs incredibly well .....

It affords you incredible control over what I consider the most important aspect of cloning..... temperature control....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hydrofarm-H...-Clone-/122010217279?var=&hash=item1c68602b3f

This heat mat and controller cost me about 50 bucks..... but its simply fantastic....

I set the controller to 83 degrees..... when the sensor goes under 81 degrees the heat mat turns on....... normally it drops just a bit to about 80.5 degrees then the heat mat will warm to 83 and it turns off..... normally it will go a bit higher to about 84 degrees before it begins to cool again....

I tested my box and it stayed within my range perfectly..... 80 to 85 degrees......

I put this into a plastic tote..... lined the box with bubble insulation..... used cfl's to light the box...... once I do some clones I will provide some additional info.....

Here is what I used....

Clear plastic tote.....about 10 bucks....

A cheap bath vanity lamp holder....about 10 bucks at and of the home improvement stores....

Some bubble insulation..... mine was free...... not really required.....

CFL 23 watt bulbs 7.50

and the controller and heat mat...... 50 bucks....

5 bucks for the popsicle mold......

fine vermiculite 5 bucks....

A seed starting 72 cell tray.....about a buck the 72 cell thing not used....

So while this thing cost me a bit less than 90 bucks I think this thing is truly a world class cloner now.....

Let me know if you want to build one..... the caveat is that I have not rooted any clones in the box yet..... but it does EXACTLY what I want it too....

I think there are many growers out there that would pay 100 bucks for a world class cloner.....

Last edited:

justanotherbozo

Veteran
...yeah, you're not the first guy to come into this thread claiming to be the original author nor are you the first to offer 'improvements'.

...personally, i run mine in the original way because it has worked reliably for me for many years.

...and i built me a cab several years ago with a space below an open shelf to veg newly rooted clones and where the lights above these clones provides enough reflected light to root my clones and while also providing the heat to warm my cloners to the required temps passively at no extra cost.

...i would also suggest using bins as reservoirs that are light proof, otherwise you will be dealing with algae.

picture.php

picture.php

peace, bozo

Actually your setup is exactly the setup I used when I first started using wick cloners... on overgrow....

I had 2 shelves.... the bottom shelf had two 4 foot fixtures.... which provided the heat....

and one above the cloners.... the lower was small veg.....

But my friend you were one of the first converts to the system......

You might also note a couple things..... my odd writing style....

and the fact budley hasnt posted in some time....

I contacted payaso and hopefully he will hook me up with my old id....

But I am the real deal......

The original wick cloner was 2 ....2 liter bottoms...... and some string for the wicking....

Here is a link to the original almost 15 years ago...

https://overgrow.com/t/what-is-a-wick-cloner-and-how-do-i-build-one/389

Last edited:

Budley Doright

Veteran
...yeah, you're not the first guy to come into this thread claiming to be the original author nor are you the first to offer 'improvements'.

...personally, i run mine in the original way because it has worked reliably for me for many years.

...and i built me a cab several years ago with a space below an open shelf to veg newly rooted clones and where the lights above these clones provides enough reflected light to root my clones and while also providing the heat to warm my cloners to the required temps passively at no extra cost.

...i would also suggest using bins as reservoirs that are light proof, otherwise you will be dealing with algae.

View Image

View Image

peace, bozo

After a little vacation........IM BAAACK......

Budley Doright

Veteran
The popsicle molds at walmart are a seasonal item....

I noticed they had them today......

94 cents.... better quality than some of the chinese knock offs.....

Then can be drilled without cracking.....

I bought a couple for a rainy day....

Budley Doright

Veteran
Ive been busy....

I and others have had much success with wick cloning....however it does have a flaw...

It largely depends on keeping the environment of your grow room perfect to have the best success....

TO that end I have been testing systems which can be put in a tote and create the perfect microenvirment in the tote for success in cloning...

At this point I have tried 3 different ways to achieve success and all 3 have worked.....

however Im now testing what I consider the best of the 3 .....it keeps temps in the tote perfecly and it has been the best cloner Ive ever used..

I plan to run a few cycles of clones before I post the specifics...... stay tuned ....so far I have had nothing but success......

Most likely I will never use another cloner other than the one Im testing.....its that good....

Its not cheap but works beautifully......

Budley Doright

Veteran
I will be running clone batches every week now that the first batch was a success...... The first batch of 8 rooted beautifully in less than 14 days.....

I will be keeping a running tab on how many rooted within 14 days over a period of time.... I will be starting 4 new clones each week....

so far 8 for 8...

Because I can keep the environment locked into a temperature of about 83 degrees Im expecting very close to 100% rooted clones within the 14 day period I will be allowing....

Icanclone

I used to dread cloning as much as public speaking. No longer. This system works great for me, and I wanted to express my appreciation. Controlling the environment is the key, and using an aquarium heater in the reservoir does just that (82ish F). I didn't need humidity domes, cloning powder or gel. Cuttings never limp out either. I used fine grade verm and will continue to do so. Thanks everyone who contributed to this thread. I expect 100% success now, though I'm sure one will die at some point. But I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Budley Doright

Veteran
Controlling the environment is key.....I think that was my original point in this thread...

One point.....anyone can clone in the summer time....

However your use of an aquarium heater is genius.....

Im doing the same thing myself these days....:woohoo:

Budley Doright

Veteran
The ice cube tray.....is no longer being sold......so unless you have one....like me....
'
Its unlikely you will find one....

I use vermiculite.....because it works.....it wicks well....

If coco worked well I think more folks would have tried it...

If you insist....try out some dry coco into the cloner....add water to the res...

if the surface of the cloner gets moist...then maybe it will work....

If the clones wilt..... they will not root....

Latest posts

Latest posts