What's new

Ice-tube cloner from WallyWorld

Budley Doright

Veteran
I was looking at my first post in this thread..... I compared the clone in post 901 with the ones in the beginning of this thread..... I had to laugh....

but then I went looking around..... there are quite a number of threads on cloning including this one....and all those methods use scrawny little clones....

I keep asking..... rhetorically if nothing else....

WHy??? WHy not larger clones..... what am I missing that I should be seeing?????

Someone pointed out the clone is stretchy....the rooting process had no part in that....it was just a branch off a plant.....

I will be training these prior to cutting....while still on the mom...... that will give me a better starting plant than just hacking off a branch......

Last edited:

johnny n.

why go thru all that? just buy sum rapid rooter plugs and a small greenhouse ,,less than 20 bux ,,,no constuction necesary...these things work like magic..i went from doing stuff like this with little sucess to a 80 percent strike ratio,,,just my humble opinion
http://www.wormsway.com/detail.asp?sku=RST300

ive had great success with rapid rooters also. i have found the ones that dont make i squeezed a little too hard because they were tight going into the rapid rooter. so now i poke the hole to fit the stem size and im getting a better success ratio.

Budley Doright

Veteran
Im really not sure why he would be bragging over an 80% strike ratio???

At the right temps.... it should be closer to 100.....

I normally start more than I need and select the ones I want ....

so percent ...per se isnt critical....... but my rates approach 100%.....

and I dont need to plug anything in.....

If you pulls out your cash and buys something...more than likely they will have roots sooner than wick cloning.....

but this is really easy and cheap...

it would compete with any method you dont plug in......

Budley Doright

Veteran
A new experiment....

I recently rooted a large clone post 901....

I believe one of the keys to this was the fact I scarified the stem......a scrape on opposite sides..... clearly in the second pic of the roots you can plainly see.....

the roots exploding from those scrapes..... on both sides......and nothing in the other parts of the stem....

I was kind of surprised actually with how obvious the results were...... going in ....

I didnt think I would notice an obvious difference.....

anyway the experiment....

I want to compare 2 groups of more modest sized clones...

one ..... scarified on one side or opposite sides....

and then just a plain cut stem.....

which I admit Im guilty of.....

In my head Im thinking I may be fing up....I might be able to save some days with some scarification.......

WIth the new cloner ....I can see the roots......

so the race between the two groups will be the average nbr of days until I see roots between the 2 groups....

while I hope there is no difference ....... I suspect it will prove Ive been fucking this up for years....

scarification probably works....

and it works by allowing rooting sooner.....

MrAwder

I made 2 of these, one like the original, one with the popsicle mold. I had 100% with the ice cube tray, 50% with the popsicle mold. I was also using napa 8822 instead of vermiculite. Just wanted to share my observations.

Budley Doright

Veteran
Although temps shouldnt be an issue now....

did you monitor temps at all????

I use vermiculite.... however if the clones dont wilt I dont think there would be an issue with using napa....but Ive not tried the stuff........

Did you use any clonex or the like???

tia.....

Im still batting 100% with the ice pop mold.....

One additional thing..... you have to make sure the medium is quite firm.....that seemed to be a bit more difficult in the new ice pop mold...

MrAwder

I did not keep a close eye on temps. Each mold was sitting inside the white ice cube holder, on top of a heat mat. About 1" water in the bottom. I did use clonex on all of them.

For me it is simple enough to just go grab another ice cube mold, more sites than the popsicle mold anyway. Just thought it was a curious difference in success rate, just based on the size of the mold and completely identical conditions otherwise. Maybe I was able to get the medium more firm in the ice cube mold, but it was purely incidental. For both I just filled them up and tapped them on the table to get everything to settle. Then used a straw to make holes for the clones to go in.

Budley Doright

Veteran
For both I just filled them up and tapped them on the table to get everything to settle. Then used a straw to make holes for the clones to go in.

I have the feeling that could be your issue.......

I recommend firming the medium for wicking......

in either device....

much more than say planting a seed or a clone.....

No proof just my feelings.....

Thanks for the feedback....

dr-dank

I am trying the Popsicle molds along side original ice tube tray.

My previous run with the tube tray was only about 50%. Bad, but better than the disaster was getting with a mass cloner.

This run the ice tube plants took a turn and not sure why. They were doing fine up until day 5 and then lost color and looked burnt. I have been adding some epson slat to my fresh water, to about 80ppm, and I am thinking the ppms dried them out. I normally use pure RO.

I tried 4 in the Popsicle molds. Of those, one wilted overnight. I replaced, and it wilted again. The other 3 look good so far, but only day 5 or so.

Given I had two wilts in the same mold I wonder if related to packing? But I do pre-wet before inserting the cuttings and press down firmly, and again after they are inserted with a top-off. So likely just a bad cut.

I have a micro setup and am balancing the see through benefit with the higher capacity of the tube cloner. As my cuts tend to be on the smaller side I will likely keep with the tube.

Regards

Budley Doright

Veteran
I am trying the Popsicle molds along side original ice tube tray.

My previous run with the tube tray was only about 50%. Bad, but better than the disaster was getting with a mass cloner.

This run the ice tube plants took a turn and not sure why. They were doing fine up until day 5 and then lost color and looked burnt. I have been adding some epson slat to my fresh water, to about 80ppm, and I am thinking the ppms dried them out. I normally use pure RO.

I tried 4 in the Popsicle molds. Of those, one wilted overnight. I replaced, and it wilted again. The other 3 look good so far, but only day 5 or so.

Given I had two wilts in the same mold I wonder if related to packing? But I do pre-wet before inserting the cuttings and press down firmly, and again after they are inserted with a top-off. So likely just a bad cut.

I have a micro setup and am balancing the see through benefit with the higher capacity of the tube cloner. As my cuts tend to be on the smaller side I will likely keep with the tube.

Regards

It could be..... my small cuts dont usually wilt......

but in either case you should probably put the whole thing in a plastic grocery bag for 24 to 48 hours.....

WHen you cut a plant.... it will take some time for the cut to adjust to the amount of water it can take up......

One thing you never want is the plants to wilt....

Thats almost certain doom....

Here is how I manage their reservoir....

Initally I simply add tapwater

about a week later I top off the reservoir by adding full strenth nutes..... for me thats about 550 ppm this yields a very low ppm in my res..... If I add again.... its top off with 550ppm again....

when they root.... and transplant..... they go on straight peters and calcium nitrate..... at 550 or so....like everyone else.....

whats the epsoms for???

I wouldnt add epsoms...... add something that might actually help rooting...... like seaweed extract......

dr-dank

It could be..... my small cuts dont usually wilt......

but in either case you should probably put the whole thing in a plastic grocery bag for 24 to 48 hours.....

WHen you cut a plant.... it will take some time for the cut to adjust to the amount of water it can take up......

One thing you never want is the plants to wilt....

Thats almost certain doom....

Here is how I manage their reservoir....

Initally I simply add tapwater

about a week later I top off the reservoir by adding full strenth nutes..... for me thats about 550 ppm this yields a very low ppm in my res..... If I add again.... its top off with 550ppm again....

when they root.... and transplant..... they go on straight peters and calcium nitrate..... at 550 or so....like everyone else.....

whats the epsoms for???

I wouldnt add epsoms...... add something that might actually help rooting...... like seaweed extract......

Thanks for the feedback.

I was adding epson to my fresh water/ro res to bring it to ~ 60 ppm. Being lazy I used that for clones.

I have since stopped. Clones get ro only with some hydroguard; I also switched to peters/calnit and so no longer add es to my fresh water (I did add a bit to the hydro concentrate).

As for wilting:. I do now add a dome over fresh cuts for a day or two. That does seem to help, but still get some that wilt. It sometime happens right away, sometimes 5 days in.

Even with daily res change/hydroguard I sometimes get a rotten smell from the media. Temps too high I suspect.

As for feeding clones. I find it interesting you feed them at all. I would sometimes add a drop of GH bloom to the clone water after the first week thinking the PK helped rooting, but for the most part they are starved until roots and then xplant with 50% then full strength.

I sometimes feel they don't take off like they should. Perhaps due to the starving. Need to mull this.

Best regards

Budley Doright

Veteran
I wanted to demonstate a different sort of cutting you can make a clone from...

This cloner... my favorite.... the walmart popcicle cloner..... cheap....

Has two kinds of cuts..... the typical branch end..... but it also has some mid branch

cuts...That sort of clone.....uses one large shade leaf...and a small growth node....

These cuts are from headband 707.....

A clone that has grown out some ...... bruce banner 3.... you can still see the old branch stump..... and in back the nurse leaf.....but other than that its pretty typical...

The advantage is you can take one branch with multiple nodes and make several cuttings...... instead of using branch ends only...

I like this cloner rather than the original at the beginning of the thread.... its bigger...and I can see what has rooted....

In this case all 8 have rooted..... but they can stay in the cloner for a couple more days before transplanting.....

Vermiculite and clonex gel.....

zamzia

Veteran

Has two kinds of cuts..... the typical branch end..... but it also has some mid branch

cuts...That sort of clone.....uses one large shade leaf...and a small growth node....

A clone that has grown out some ...... bruce banner 3.... you can still see the old branch stump..... and in back the nurse leaf.....but other than that its pretty typical...

The advantage is you can take one branch with multiple nodes and make several cuttings...... instead of using branch ends only...

I like this cloner rather than the original at the beginning of the thread.... its bigger...and I can see what has rooted....

In this case all 8 have rooted..... but they can stay in the cloner for a couple more days before transplanting.....

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=61683&pictureid=1500662&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=61683&pictureid=1500663&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

I've never thought about doing cuts like this! Many more cuts from one branch, very good :)

sackoweed

I took anger management already!!!! FUCK!!!
Veteran

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=61683&pictureid=1500662&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=61683&pictureid=1500663&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

I'm using same cloner with vermiculite and some rooting powder from lowes. Took some small cuts on the 20th two have small roots about an 1/8" long at the bottom of the cut as of yesterday. Cheap and easy is the way to go. I like the creativity.

sackO

Budley Doright

Veteran
One thing Ive been doing religiously is to scrape and expose the green cambium layer on opposite sides of the stem..... Its definitely a good thing to do.....

I cut the bottom square...then scrape opposite sides of the stem....

I will be putting up my winter version of my cloner in a week or so.....

Stay tuned...... it looks great.....

Best cloner you dont plug in....IMO......

sackoweed

I took anger management already!!!! FUCK!!!
Veteran
I will definitely be looking out for it. I measured down the tube the length of the clone on two of the cuttings and layered the rooting powder then vermiculite to top it off. Those are the two rooting. (Shrugs) idk one other when I barely pull on it seems it may have taken and too is rooting. These clones I didn't scrape, I usually do.

Latest posts

Latest posts