What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

IC 420 Cup 2013 RESULTS!

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
yes B you are right, decisions will have to wait for a while yet. but there is no harm discussing peoples wishes in terms of the categories. in the end we want it to be as meaning full as possible to as many members as possible.

i don't think we have to worry about not getting enough entries to fill out what ever categories we decide on, as long as we stay with not more then 4 different bud categories, ie indi, sat, grower and indi and sat breeder. the benefit of these categories is that it's been done that way most of the time we have done this event.

besthaze

GM,
perhaps it's not automatic to tell of ORGANIC when the medium to cultivate isn't WATER!
many times the people who choose the soil as medium to grow, use mineral ferts or "declared-organic" fertilazers ... but ORGANIC means other...

Finally, I don't know how we could improve the Cup format... but we've to find the way to reward the growers who grow theirs weed as it was as medical use!
and for medical many kind of fertilizations aren't permitted...

Kiss, GuyZ

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
yeah i see the potential in having hydro and organic categories.

in the end if someone enters organics with a hot tasting hydro bud they will lose. some people might enter a really well flushed coco grown under organics though, that would be hard to tell? i guess some trust will be needed like always that people enter the right category. so whats your exact suggestion best haze, about the rules for what weed can go in which category?

besthaze

what do u mean with "fed" category?
what's "fed"?

I only think for sure that next CuP we have to add the label "PURE ORGANIC" 4 products are cultivated in this way.

...last Cup many and many people come to me & Dr.P to ask if our weeds were really ORGANIC ... because they fell something different in the taste, in their mounth and throat!
...and we were very honored for this! and proud to be tell:
"this stuff's ally organic, I added only water in the soil during the growth!" :)

There's one reason if, after my first Cup, I returned homa with 3 Cup (and one 4th placed on 4 samples) ...

I'd absolutely want not appear conceited, GM, the only reason because I'm writing so agitated if that I get to heart this matter! ;)

Good Vibes Guyz

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
wtf you talking about, flower bomb was not entered in the grower category. it was entered in the breeder category. triangle kush was a clone only grower category.

in the end you are the only one who is confused about the separation we did last year. every entrant knew exactly what the plan was and where they were entering.

while some people might like the idea of hydro and organic categories, i'm not so sure the vendors will appreciate losing their category. but to me that's a detail, as i said if one wanted to compare them differently one could easily do that using the numbers that are published.

in a way i'm intrigued by having a hydro and organic category, there is not much point in being dishonest about those aspects of ones entry so thats good. of course you will not be sure the organic grown stuff has really been only treated with organic products, but still might be interesting.

i think the best thing would be to make a poll again and let the majority decide which concept they want. i will not even suggest anything as i don't care, i will get all the information (numbers) to find out everything i want to know, how ever they are divided into categories. so please bring your concrete proposal to the table and we can see which categories people want.

No, seriously, WTF are you talking about.. Stay off the sauce for enough time to write something that makes sense. Read exactly what I said, where do I say FBK "was entered in the grower category" ... look, I clearly state "one was entered in the "private" category" .. So yet again you are too stoned to know what you are on about or string a few sentences together that make sense.

Nobody understood the separation of categories you insisted on pushing through last year, I just asked if anybody did, nobody has said a thing. Plenty of people do realise that you were being put under pressure by your "friends" to multiply the number of cups so that they can claim they won something though. Shame that you could not manage to come up with a reasoned explanation of why or what it was really about.

One of the things that is unique with the 420 cup is that all growers can compete equally with the Seed Banks, it is pretty much unique and very popular. Likewise I explained to you at length in PMs to you that several people involved have various relations with Seed Banks and other parts of the industry, many of these people like to keep this quiet for their own personal reasons and security, so do not want to identify themselves as "Pro" but do not want to lie to people and compete in any "Amateur" category.

As you point out, and besthaze agrees, the trouble with "Organic" is most soil grows are not really, the moment you add anything from a bottle, 95% of which are not really truly Organic, depending on your definition.. besthaze and Dr P do it the "real" way in a natural soil with only water.

IMO it is all nonsense anyway, one 420 regular smoked some Chocolope I gave him recently and he was sure it was Organic, it was 100% Chemical Ferts in coco, flushed for 12 days.

It is all weed, true Organic soil and Chemical Hydro can happily compete against each other if they are flushed right, the more silly lines you try to draw in the sand, the more potential for daft arguments, disagreements and strife you sow.

mack 10

Veteran
@ Besthaze; Fed means, what nutrients you fed the plant.
and you got neg repped...lol

How about, Mostly Sativa, Mostly Indica, and Hash/Concerntrate, as the main cat's.
Best indoor ,outdoor, organic, synthetic and whatever can be worked out by the points.
The Fact that it was grown organic or hydro is not the issue as much as if the bud is grown and harvested properly.
my point;
Also I grow using bottled organics and mineral supplements,
but that's not the same as true living organics,
so would I have to enter the hydro cat?
...for soil grown bud grown using bottled organic nutrients, or ?

Also Hash party was awesome last year but there was some discussion between us
about the import hash and ice hash samples.
Should the cats be split ?
As a lot of members rate ice hash above import hash
So any import is behind before it has even started.
Also what do we call the Hash cat? best Hash, or what ??
remember drysift, ice, secret method's etc,etc... lol..

mack.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
besthaze, fed in this case means what is given to the plants. so water fed, means the plant was only given water and all other nutrients were taken from the soil mix. the thing is in the end if someone says hey this is organic and then it tastes like shit, it will just get a bad score. but yes it's impossible to control if someone only gave water or if they used a few good quality nutrients too. thats why i'm asking for ideas on how to define the categories. although i do still think there is a lot to be said for having a breeder and private grower category. anyone who feels strongly should make a proposal so we can poll the members to see which separation they think is best.

yeah mack, what ever happens there will still be mostly indi and mostly sat, the question is how to quantify the other category aspects.

about the hash i think it should stay in 1category. but i do think it's probably time to have an oil category. it's becoming very important to a lot of smokers.

mack 10

Veteran
yay I was gonna say we need an oil cat but thought i'd get shot down.
I know the law and all that but in reality people are dabbing everywhere in Amsterdam already, several coffeeshops have it on there menus
as long as your not being a complete tool.
Personaly I did like growers and breeders together in the same cat like the other year,
its great as a private grower to be able to go head to head with the big boys in a truelly blind smoke off. Mind you judging from the size and quality of last years entrys you are really going to be on your game to win.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
well i'm just giving you my thoughts about the bho category, i can't say yet if i'll even have a say. maybe OP will take care of things with his sons this year. so at this point it's just some discussion.

it is a good chance for anyone with some solid proposals to step up and put them on the table to be considered. if we have a few proposals from different folks we can let the members decide.

as you know i'm not such an oil fan, but i see the way the wind is blowing, lol.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
besthaze, i think in the end those who do a good job growing their buds will be the ones that win. it's next to impossible for us to know what exact methods were used to grow any buds with. so i don't see how else we can reward well grown organic buds then them getting good scores. that is the reward, winning a cup.

what some folks have suggested is to just have 1 big category, just indi dom and sat dom finish?

personally i like having 2 main categories, it gives more people a chance to win a cup.

F

fizzbomb

this thread reminds me of when i first started growing lol

at first i kept things simple with excellent results, as the years went by the people in the grow shop was like try this and try that, this is new and will increase bud size, shit like that, the more i added the more complicated things became and my results suffered, so i went back to keeping things simple with excellent results again. ;)

personally i think there should only be a few cups, independent grower cup, independent breeder cup and an overall winner with both grower and breeders scores put against each other to see who the ultimate champion is lol.

so each pack will contain grower and breeder entries, every1's a winner just getting their hands on a judge pack, its the taking part that should count, not how many categories we can make so more people will have a chance to win a cup, that is all from me :tiphat:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
isn't it just as complicated to have your 2 main category ideas as some other 2 category ideas? thats what we had last time; seed sellers and private growers. but like i said any ideas on which bud goes to which category etc is welcome. it's interesting to see what ideas people have.

anyway growing is not organizing a good cannabis event. if you want to make things better you have to learn from every year and use what you learned for the next. when you are actually on site enjoying the things that were organized you will appreciate that it was not just kept simple. what should be simple is the time table with plenty of time for just chatting and hanging out in comfort.

F

fizzbomb

dont think the seed sellers were allowed to compete against the independent growers last time, people said they did not think it was fair, this way they get kept separate but every1 gets to go up against each other in the overall category which seems very fair to me.

and no i dont think its complicated what i suggested, seems pretty simple to me, every1 will know where they stand, dont see whats complicated about what i suggested at all, from what i seen it was you G that wanted to add more categories so more people could win a cup ??? was never like this before, keep things simple is all i suggested, nothing complicated about that.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
i'm saying it comes to the same amount of cups in the end if you have 2 main categories divided into indi and sat. so you end up with 4 bud categories, what ever you want to name them.

so just make it breeder and grower again is your suggestion? or do the over all winners get extra cups for the over all win as well as what ever category they won in?

last year there was only drP and best haze and true that even made use of being able to enter in either category. not saying it has to be the same this year, but i know a lot of people posted in support when we were actually talking about it before the event.

it was an idea and a test, the idea being that clone only strains could be entered in the grower category to compete with other elite clone only stuff and seed grown strains could be entered by anyone to compete against other seed lines out there. i did this because many times in the past people have found it unfair how clone only strains are used to win the breeder cup. so having the clone only category was to try and make it a more even playing field for all involved.

one thing i will say is that all entrants knew the rules in advance and entered knowing exactly what the plan was. there was nothing unfair about it. it was the most openly run cup in ic 420 cup history.

but as we all know you can't make everyone happy. all i can do is repeat lets make a poll and ask the majority to decide on which proposal shall be used. bring on your proposal including the exact rules that will decide which category an entry is placed in.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts