What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ibechillin's Dank Chronicle

40degsouth

Hi everyone,
I'm enjoying the structure of your #1 Cheesecake Ibechillin, l can see why you called her number #1.
I thought this might be a good chance to ask Thereverand, or anyone for that matter, if they've had any experience with plants throwing female pre flowers but ending up male??
This has happened to me the last two seasons with two different strains, a Sunshine Daydream and a lion's Milk.???

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
I thought this might be a good chance to ask Thereverand, or anyone for that matter, if they've had any experience with plants throwing female pre flowers but ending up male??
This has happened to me the last two seasons with two different strains, a Sunshine Daydream and a lion's Milk.???

Like full on reversal and they had no female parts to make seeds on itself with? Did you save pollen from them? Or make seeds with either of their pollen on another plant to test offspring sex expression?

That seems really interesting, from what I understand cannabis can be dioecious meaning seperate male and female plants. Hermaphrodite meaning one plant developing both sex organs at a node or monoecious meaning it naturally produces male and female sex organs at different nodes all over the plant.

Blackberries are a good example or true hermaphrodite plants with male and female sex organs naturally at each node. Zucchini are a good monoecious example with male and female sex organs alternating naturally at nodes.

May 11th

Speaking of strange things happening Cheesecake #1 looks like its flowering and im at 15hr daylengths haha. The 40 seeds I planted and sprouted in my greenhouse same time last year not one of them tryed flowering at this time. Half of them were random mixed strain bagseed plants too lol.

Cheesecake #1 pistil clusters at top node:

picture.php

therevverend

Veteran
Hi everyone,

Are you 100% certain the pre-flowers were female? And that you got your labeling right? I've had the same thing happen but I can only conclude that I made a mistake. I've labeled a strain female based on pre-flowers then had the plant turn out 100% male a month later when it actually started flowering. I can only think that the pre-flower I thought was female was mis-identified. I probably thought the very thin tip of a new leaf was a pistil. It's a terrible mistake when someone takes a bunch of cuts for clones from the plant. Now I double, triple, and quadruple check and if there's any doubt I use a magnifying glass or a jeweler's loupe.

One time there was this tweeker guy, very poor grower, who asked me for cuttings. Even though I didn't like the guy I gave him the answer I always give, okay, let me know when you're ready. An outdoor plant in July has a thousand clones on it. I didn't mention that I hadn't removed the males yet. I ended up forgetting about it and he didn't ask again because he took the cuts without my permission. I noticed a couple weeks later it looked liked some branches were shorter but I didn't think much of it.

6 months later the guy and his partner had harvested, he was crying because 3/4 of his crop had 'turned male'. (which is why I brought this story up) I thought about it for a second and had to leave the room. He's a guy who's been put out of business by the Rec stores, he couldn't sell his stuff it's so bad. Drying his crop on the dashboard of his tweeker van he wonders why no one wants it no matter how cheap he tried to sell it. When he got down to $70 an ounce he gave up and smoked it up himself.

PDX Dopesmoker

Like full on reversal and they had no female parts to make seeds on itself with? Did you save pollen from them? Or make seeds with either of their pollen on another plant to test offspring sex expression?

That seems really interesting, from what I understand cannabis can be dioecious meaning seperate male and female plants. Hermaphrodite meaning one plant developing both sex organs at a node or monoecious meaning it naturally produces male and female sex organs at different nodes all over the plant.

Blackberries are a good example or true hermaphrodite plants with male and female sex organs naturally at each node. Zucchini are a good monoecious example with male and female sex organs alternating naturally at nodes.

May 11th

Speaking of strange things happening Cheesecake #1 looks like its flowering and im at 15hr daylengths haha. The 40 seeds I planted and sprouted in my greenhouse same time last year not one of them tryed flowering at this time. Half of them were random mixed strain bagseed plants too lol.

Cheesecake #1 pistil clusters at top node:

View Image

Nice spring flower, my autos haven't even got that far yet.

40degsouth

Hey Ibechillin and Thereverand, thanks for your responses, it's much appreciated.
The first time l saw this phenomenon was on a lions milk. It threw female preflowers and pistils but ended up male. I use binoculars, around the other way, as an effective microscope to sex plants, so l was up close and personal. This also gives me plausible deniability if l get caught.....I'm a bird watcher!!!
I thought that l had mislabeled this plant and began second guessing myself so l made sure this season. I've been trying to research this topic but there seems to be no information at all and if there is l haven't been able to find it??
This year l had a Sunshine Daydream do exactly the same thing, perhaps this trait is passed on through the Appalatcha line, l don't know and have got no idea.
I culled these plants because l didn't want to pass the trait on and have got no space to experiment with progeny that don't align with my breeding goals. Both plants were nothing special anyway.
I was hoping someone may have some knowledge to share with me on the subject or at least tell me that I'm mad and there's no possible way this can happen!!
Cheers,

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Found a couple healthy bagseeds few weeks ago of the strain Slymer which is a clone only pheno of Chernobyl. They were in an eighth my friend brought over from a rec shop. In a nug I got from a friend this afternoon found more bagseeds from someone's homegrow, 1 healthy seed and 2 immature looking. Im waiting to get the strain name, took some pictures of the nug to share. Dense and smelled just like an orange flavored tootsie pop sucker.

picture.php

picture.php

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
May 17th:

Since last update went through a heat wave for few days. Last couple days have been rain, plants seem happy and are appreciative of a good watering. Im thinking the Cheesecake plants may be autoflowers also. #1 continues to not give a shit about light cycle and is further into flowering, I should know in about a week if #2 and #3 start showing signs of flowering also. Removed a bunch of branches off a tree on the west side of my spot that was blocking evening sunlight.

Cheesecake #1 @ 9 weeks

picture.php

Cheesecake #2 @ 7 weeks

picture.php

Cheesecake #3 @ 7 weeks

picture.php

Lifted OG @ 7 weeks

picture.php

Gummo @ 7 weeks

picture.php

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice work! Plants are on the move! My seedlings are doing the same thing with all the rain and long intense sunshine! I was told by someone that rainwater is better and more bioavailable because its magnetized or charged. Not sure if thats true or not.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Thanks pipeline. Just checked out your thread, seedlings looking really healthy. The heat wave scorched the leaves on a few of my auto seedlings but even the worst one seems to be bouncing back, Ill update with a picture of it tomorrow. Thats the second abrupt heat wave since I started seeds for this season, first one killed most of the 1st batch of seeds I started.

I knew rain picks up carbon dioxide on the way down, a search I did just now explained rain water contains nitrate from the atmosphere as well. Couldnt find anything directly relating to a specific charge carried by rain water and increased plant bioavailability though.

Rodehazrd

Nice work! Plants are on the move! My seedlings are doing the same thing with all the rain and long intense sunshine! I was told by someone that rainwater is better and more bioavailable because its magnetized or charged. Not sure if thats true or not.
The Saudi's have a lot of info on magnetized water and seeds. There's even several models of funnels available online. Seeds either treated with the magnets or watered with treated water both did better than the control. :tiphat:

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Appreciate the mention thanks to you both, Im always looking for more interesting things to research haha. I was talking yesterday with my mom's boyfriend about how everything that has ever lived evolved to the earth's natural cycles/variances. Ive always been intrigued by the method of waiting for certain moon cycles to plant but have not tried it.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
May 18th:

"Northern Lights" autoflowers roots have started growing through the pots into the ground, went to rotate a pot today and they were holding on haha had a few roots poking through. Here are a couple pictures of the 1 Heat damaged "Northern Lights" auto plant. It looked so cooked a few days ago I was seriously planning on yanking it, wish I would have taken a pic to show before and after rain. You can see the heat damage removed like half of its leaf fingers, but all the lime green is new growth since rain!

picture.php

picture.php

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dang they got scorched by something! How hot did it get?

That's interesting about the saudi's using magnetism. I wonder if it helps strengthen the mass flow of water through the plant from the soil?

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Dang they got scorched by something! How hot did it get?

The heat wave that killed the first batch of seeds except for Cheesecake #1 was March 18th, 19th and 20th the temperature was in the 80s F when it should be highest 55 F typically. The heat wave that injured the auto seedling was May 9th, 10th and 11th. Weather report was advertising 82 degrees for all 3 days but ended up being 85, 85 and 90 when weather is highest 70 F typically. Im thinking the foliar sprays I gave containing yucca probably helped them endure the recent higher heat wave.

May 19th:

Spent the afternoon working in the grow, cut down all the grass/wild growth that popped up since being cleared right before putting plants out (4ft tall grass lol). Since the "Northern Lights" autoflowers were starting to root into the ground beneath the 3 gallon fabric pots decided it was time to move them to their final place down the fenceline some. Dug a shallow trough and loosened the dirt some for the 3 gallon fabric pots to fit into and allow roots direct access to native soil. For flower feeding autos Jack's Blossom Booster 10-30-20 water soluble powder (thanks DoubletripleOG for showing me what Jack's 10-30-20 can do in soil and outdoors haha).

picture.php

After moving the autos I rearranged the five 30 gallon photoperiod plants. Rotated them all so the shorter/less developed new branch at node 2 is facing East to get morning sun and node 1 is facing North and South to try and keep branch growth evenly distributed. I have favoritism for the Gummo plant, smells like intense skunk already in veg not even showing sex yet and no stem rub required!

In order: Cheesecake #1, Cheesecake #2, Cheesecake #3, Lifted OG then Gummo on the end before autos.

picture.php

Cheesecake #1 appeared to be about 2 weeks into flowering, meaning it started flowering immediately after showing sex April 23rd at exactly 14 hr daylength. Cheesecake #2 and #3 plants were started from seed 2 weeks later and appear to barely have started flowering, meaning similarly to #1 they started flowering immediately after showing sex mid week 5 on May 7th at 14 hr 45 minute daylength.

I was thinking this is a good thing as it could relate to them being early finishers at my lattitude. At 47N on the western side of WA I have a long growing season and flowering normally doesnt start until the last week of August. The sun intensity drops dramatically by then and weather goes to shit (lots of rain). Ive been hoping to find an early finishing strain and the Cheesecake seeds I have seem to trigger flowering immediately outdoors if receiving less than 15 hr daylength. I was grateful to find seeds because the weed was good, what an awesome bonus!

Today I found twisty single bladed reveg growth on Cheesecake #1. Cheesecake #2 and #3 will probably revert quicker since they barely started stretching. Just in time to soak up all of the longest veg days in June and hopefully become 30 gallon mini monsters.

picture.php

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cool! Split off, and you didn't have to top it! Looking good! Thats interesting they started flowering so early in their life! Hope it doesn't set you back too far. Has that happened to you before? I guess thats just a sensitive strain.

Got to be smart growing in WA with all the rain! I found out last year, plants can do alright even if it rains heavy! Just don't want 3 days of rain!

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
This Cheesecake strain is full of surprises so far haha. This is the first time ive seen a main stem abruptly seperate into mirror image tops and both continue on like the original top. Looks very natural where it separates and has me wondering about polyploidy in the seeds perhaps, I mentioned earlier that I culled a triple cotyledon/trifoliate cheesecake seedling also.

I dont think the early flowering will be a problem and will find out haha, these are the first plants Ive had flower early outdoors though.

thailer

At 47N on the western side of WA I have a long growing season and flowering normally doesnt start until the last week of August. The sun intensity drops dramatically by then and weather goes to shit (lots of rain). Ive been hoping to find an early finishing strain and the Cheesecake seeds I have seem to trigger flowering immediately outdoors if receiving less than 15 hr daylength.

there's a guy at 47N that last year flowered his plants indoors and then at week five, set them outside to finish in the first week of august IIRC. He used to post here and at GC and his name is Pakalolo of the great NW. well even though the light hours are super long, the plant had been in bloom for so long, that it just kept chugging along and finished just like normal. he has been growing these same cuts for years too so i think he would be able to judge how well they did.

so later on i was reading about non cannabis plants and the article was talking about short day length plants like cannabis being put into bloom for so many days, that when taken into the retail markets, they will keep blooming due to the bloom period being for a certain amount of days.

it sounds good but i want to know why they didn't reveg for him. i think it has to do with the light hours dropping at the end instead of getting longer or staying the same length.

anyways, your plants are looking healthy!

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Its the hours of dark the plant senses which triggers flowering. With a rainy climate, plants probably flower early since they are looking for sunshine! :smoke: