What's new

I WONDER WHO CAME UP WITH 18/6 AND 12/12

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
Top the plant like 3 times.Starting with the main stem.Top it again...Then again.

This type of technique works well with sativas.You can build a nice canopy.4 feet becomes like 3 feet bended and topped with buds.

Lots of types of growing.

REZ has some 12/12 posts in his forum.Excellent Read...I've seen great posts about 12/12 in the Growers Forum in the Indoor Grow-Soil section.

steppinRazor

cant stop wont stop
Veteran

your plants when in natural settings trigger into flowering when the light schedule becomes 14/10, perhaps even sooner as that's when I notice that flowering has started.

plants only grow when in the photosynthesis period (daylight) and so going 12/12 robs them of an hours growth when a 13/11 schedule will make them flower just as well adding an hour every day. 7 weeks flowering = 49 extra hours for bud growth; 11 weeks = 77 extra hours.

that extra hour each day of flowering WILL amount to a bigger harvest than if you decided to just add 2 or 3 days extra flowering time before harvest.

:chin: id loved to see a controlled test.. makes perfect sense in theory

12/12 is because there is a direct correlation between daylength and YIELD and MATURITY RATE:

Plants that are given longer daylengths -not exceeding 14-15 hours- yield more but mature later. For example, when an 8 week plant is force flowered on 12/12s, it will finish before the same plant flowered on 14 hour days.(14/10), but the 14 hour/day plant will yield more but will take 9 or 10 weeks to finish.

Plants that are given shorter daylengths(shorter than 12) will yield less, but mature faster. For example, a plant flowered on 10 hour days(10/14) will yield less and finish sooner than the same plant flowered on 12/12s.

So....

12/12 is a 'happy medium'. It is a compromise of yield and maturity and ensures that most indoor plants will have no trouble flowering because they are not riding the flowering threshold of 14-15 hours of daylength,...also, they will not take more time than necessary to finish. (8 weeks is average)

again. 12/12 photoperiod directs typical indoor plants to flower profusely and quickly, with decent yield.

18/6 is 18 hours of daylength which is outside the 14-15 hour flowering threshold of typical indoor plants, so plants will remain vegetative.

It is a myth that plants NEED a dark phase each day(the reactions of respiration and photorespiration can all be done in LIGHT), so it is completely OK to run vegetative daylength longer -up to 24/0- in order to hasten plant growth.

gettitreal

keat

12/12 is because there is a direct correlation between daylength and YIELD and MATURITY RATE:

Plants that are given longer daylengths -not exceeding 14-15 hours- yield more but mature later. For example, when an 8 week plant is force flowered on 12/12s, it will finish before the same plant flowered on 14 hour days.(14/10), but the 14 hour/day plant will yield more but will take 9 or 10 weeks to finish.

Plants that are given shorter daylengths(shorter than 12) will yield less, but mature faster. For example, a plant flowered on 10 hour days(10/14) will yield less and finish sooner than the same plant flowered on 12/12s.

So....

12/12 is a 'happy medium'. It is a compromise of yield and maturity and ensures that most indoor plants will have no trouble flowering because they are not riding the flowering threshold of 14-15 hours of daylength,...also, they will not take more time than necessary to finish. (8 weeks is average)

again. 12/12 photoperiod directs typical indoor plants to flower profusely and quickly, with decent yield.

18/6 is 18 hours of daylength which is outside the 14-15 hour flowering threshold of typical indoor plants, so plants will remain vegetative.

It is a myth that plants NEED a dark phase each day(the reactions of respiration and photorespiration can all be done in LIGHT), so it is completely OK to run vegetative daylength longer -up to 24/0- in order to hasten plant growth.

gettitreal

Do you have any sources on that? I do belive you, but i would like to see some 100% facts.
Thought i found your sayins very helpfull.

Kalicokitty

The cat that loves cannabis
Veteran
Like HID lighting technology... right?t
No genius, like a guy shading or exposing his plants to more or less natural light.

Caveman drags plant into cave to shorten light exposure and prolong veg period.

If you think no one thought of this before Hid lighting was invented your not very bright.

Kalicokitty

Veteran
I guarantee someone 1000's of years ago observed his plants, and made the connection between the shortening hours of daylight, and the triggering of flowering.

Green lung

Veteran
No genius, like a guy shading or exposing his plants to more or less natural light.

Caveman drags plant into cave to shorten light exposure and prolong veg period.

If you think no one thought of this before Hid lighting was invented your not very bright.

lol caveman had potted plants

Kalicokitty

Veteran
lol caveman had potted plants
Maybe not the club wielding caveman, but people have put plants in pots for thousands of years, come on, everyone knows that.
They have found millions of pottery shards that old in archaeological digs

"Planting in pots has a long history dating back to the first Egyptian, Roman, and Oriental cultures. The legendary (possibly mythical) Hanging Gardens of Babylon were considered one of the Seven Wonders of the World and Henry the VIII was so impressed with the Hampton Court Gardens that he had it's owner arrested and claimed it for himself."

Last edited:

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
everyone knows this information you ask about, we came to know because it was discovered on a piece of asteroid in an scripture carved upon the metal-fused-rock that crashed on earth on the year 666 dc, on june 13, at 13:00 hours, at 13 degrees south latitude.

then the illuminati came to control this information and make you start paying taxes and enslave you forever and ever, they even leave clues about the whole truth, like, stuff in images and all. like when your stash weights exactly 13grams, man, you are pretty much screwed because it means you are possessed by the illuminaty cryptology of zoology of astral asteroid scriptural deciphering agency.

yeah man, that is right, the 13 families own your butt and you don´t even know it...

:chin:

:wave:

J

JackTheGrower

Great stuff..

We talk about yields and our needs but what is good for Cannabis? Myself I would trust a breeder that does the TLC rather than the Doh-Give-Me!

I run 14/10 but with 1500 watts of blended spectrum. I have great results and often over-grow my space in a short time.

I agree that longer days grow faster in some ways but it isn't the only way to grow big plants as 14/10 will do the same *IF* you have it dialled in.

In a way 18/6 is a beginners setting.

I see here with just the twin MH 250's that growth is much more relaxed with my re-veg project and with the Mung bean plants but I am not having any problems. I don't wish to stress these girls and the amount of time I have invested is comparable to 18/6 re-veg times from what I read.
The lower light energy is why the growth is relaxed at 14/10 but that's a good thing with re-veging. Less stress on the genetics.

I have thought that the 18/6 was because of "in the Beginning" the lights were less effective and so to get a good grow we left them on longer.
There is growth that happens in the dark too.

It seems to be related to the profit motive that a majority fall in-line behind 18/6 as a standard. Both growers with profit on the mind and book writers wanting to defend their reputations selling advice to beginners.

All I have to say is 18/6 isn't the only way to go. Nature doesn't provide a warm environment at 18/6 or 20/4 so while we can push it the more natural cycle is where I feel better Genetics will emerge.

Just my opinion..

great thread.

hello keat!

I have forgotten where I have read this,(possibly the Handbook of Flowering) but nevertheless I have seen it with my own eyes.

A good example of this is in OUTDOOR plants. At my Latitude(45degN), flowering is induced on or about August 1st when the day length is 14.75 hours. I have run a particular plant that is an 8 week plant INDOORS for many years and in 8 weeks OUTDOORS the plant is not ready because the daylength for the past 8 weeks was longer than 12/12. It reduces slowly from 14.75 to 12/12 in the first week of OCT. Unfortunately, we must harvest in about 8 weeks OUTDOORS because of botrytis, not because the plants are completely finished. If we could employ 12/12 OUTDOORS, the plants would be finished in 8 weeks.

Do a Google search for "how photoperiod affects yield,maturity in flowering plants" and you will likely find something that confirms this.