What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I suck at cloning. That's not a question but this is

cone

Was it the soft, non woven kind or the plasticky, woven kind of pots?

I guess peat moss is good at holding water, unless it dries out, then it actually is hydrophobic until it becomes damp again. The outdoor ground is gonna get conditioned a lot. I amended it for this growing season, then when I harvest the plants I will be sowing hairy vetch and winter rye in the plot. That should hopefully grow over the winter and in the spring I can till that into the soil or leave it on top for a green mulch. Looking at this plot as a long term investment. That plant on the left doesn't need any thickening up I think :D I will try to grab a picture next time, but I'm pretty sure it's stem is almost the size of my wrist :D I'm worried about the branches holding the buds up, but I have a plan for an A-frame that should work. I had to do that string trick to my indoor autos that first grow, they just kept getting bigger and bigger. And dood throw some pics up if you want. This thread is off the gdamn rails I think. It's technically in the "growing questions" forum. It's my fault really. :biggrin:
Soft type same as the ones I’m using now.
It is but like you found it can be hard to gauge too wet or dry which is the reason I knocked it in the head.

It should be ready to rock by next year hopefully you will get a bumper crop this year!.
It's definitely worth putting money & effort into if you are going to carry on in the same place.
You will have to get some pictures of all your plants, Branching, Stems generally all over so we can see what's happening within the plant.
Use a load of Cain to build like scaffolding & gaffa tape to keep it as one.

Bending them 180 degrees is a good way for saving room & getting a bushier plant at least with photo plants I haven't grown auto's for some years now.

As long as you don't mind me chuckling the odd few pictures I will not a problem brother, Tell me if you don't want pics highjacking your posts.

Had a horrible sight when I went in the room today, 2 of the 3 MK were dead it looks like the drippers were blocked so all plans for a hydro are out of the question it's not all bad 2 plants are still healthy my only MK & KB/AK.
I got a shot of the stem just to show how quick it turns to woody stem just over 3 weeks under an HLG135.

First is a couple of the BuKu.

picture.php

picture.php

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Soft type same as the ones I’m using now.
It is but like you found it can be hard to gauge too wet or dry which is the reason I knocked it in the head.

It should be ready to rock by next year hopefully you will get a bumper crop this year!.
It's definitely worth putting money & effort into if you are going to carry on in the same place.
You will have to get some pictures of all your plants, Branching, Stems generally all over so we can see what's happening within the plant.
Use a load of Cain to build like scaffolding & gaffa tape to keep it as one.

Bending them 180 degrees is a good way for saving room & getting a bushier plant at least with photo plants I haven't grown auto's for some years now.

As long as you don't mind me chuckling the odd few pictures I will not a problem brother, Tell me if you don't want pics highjacking your posts.

Had a horrible sight when I went in the room today, 2 of the 3 MK were dead it looks like the drippers were blocked so all plans for a hydro are out of the question it's not all bad 2 plants are still healthy my only MK & KB/AK.
I got a shot of the stem just to show how quick it turns to woody stem just over 3 weeks under an HLG135.

First is a couple of the BuKu.

View Image
View Image
I haven't had any roots bust through my black fabric ones yet either. I have had them popping out the holes in my airpots though! I'm a big fan of those, even though they are expensive. I think they pay themselves off after a grow or two in increased yield. I'll try to get some close ups this weekend. Last few times it was raining and I wanted to get in and out asap. Hopefully my a-frame will work. I wanted to tie plasticized wire around each branch that needs support, then use fishing line to tie that to the a-frame. I know fishing line directly onto the branch will cut into it like a bitch, but I'm hoping the plasticized wire will increase the surface area enough not to cut in. And please bro, I love seeing pics how others grow so feel free :) I need to ask an admin to move this to another subforum, it's not really a growing question thread anymore :D That sucks you lost 2 of your plants bro :comfort: I just had a snafu where my airpump broke connection to the hose while I was aerating my water. I'm glad I hadn't put any clones into the dwc tank yet or they would be dead. And dood I haven't ever seen marijuana plants undergo lignification in 3 weeks! I thought it would take much longer than that. I know lignified branches can be a symptom of fusarium. You haven't had any problems with fungus have you?

cone

I haven't had any roots bust through my black fabric ones yet either. I have had them popping out the holes in my airpots though! I'm a big fan of those, even though they are expensive. I think they pay themselves off after a grow or two in increased yield. I'll try to get some close ups this weekend. Last few times it was raining and I wanted to get in and out asap. Hopefully my a-frame will work. I wanted to tie plasticized wire around each branch that needs support, then use fishing line to tie that to the a-frame. I know fishing line directly onto the branch will cut into it like a bitch, but I'm hoping the plasticized wire will increase the surface area enough not to cut in. And please bro, I love seeing pics how others grow so feel free :) I need to ask an admin to move this to another subforum, it's not really a growing question thread anymore :D That sucks you lost 2 of your plants bro :comfort: I just had a snafu where my airpump broke connection to the hose while I was aerating my water. I'm glad I hadn't put any clones into the dwc tank yet or they would be dead. And dood I haven't ever seen marijuana plants undergo lignification in 3 weeks! I thought it would take much longer than that. I know lignified branches can be a symptom of fusarium. You haven't had any problems with fungus have you?

Just a quick one brother in a shed load of pain.

There has to be a reason why roots don't SOME of the Black pots, Could it be a certain root structure? Certain strains, Not enough moisture going to the bottom, A little light getting in through the pots, Really dry conditions around the pots?
I don't know but there must be a reason for it.

Same here with Airpots & not that expensive over here how much where you are?

Trim some growth from around the bottom get better airflow in there & up through the middle.

A little tip what I do when clones start getting too big & holds the tops back while anything underneath grows out one of the reasons along with trimming & different way of topping my plants grow like they do.

Where the red arrows are pointing cut off but leave the shoot where the white arrows are pointing they will be new top shoots eventually, Your side shoots will catch the tops up & be thicker/stronger.
That's what I would do not telling you how to grow your own plants.

picture.php

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Just a quick one brother in a shed load of pain.

There has to be a reason why roots don't SOME of the Black pots, Could it be a certain root structure? Certain strains, Not enough moisture going to the bottom, A little light getting in through the pots, Really dry conditions around the pots?
I don't know but there must be a reason for it.

Same here with Airpots & not that expensive over here how much where you are?

Trim some growth from around the bottom get better airflow in there & up through the middle.

A little tip what I do when clones start getting too big & holds the tops back while anything underneath grows out one of the reasons along with trimming & different way of topping my plants grow like they do.

Where the red arrows are pointing cut off but leave the shoot where the white arrows are pointing they will be new top shoots eventually, Your side shoots will catch the tops up & be thicker/stronger.
That's what I would do not telling you how to grow your own plants.

View Image
Sorry to hear you hurting bro, this bowl is for you. :huggg:

I agree on the roots. I'ma take a look at some of mr bungle's threads see how he is growing. See what I'm doing differently.
I forget how much the airpots I'm using were. I remember they are 3 gallon equiv and he sold them to me 40% off because they were a return a lady had just brought back because she couldn't get a handle on the watering, was losing too much nutrients she said. Even full price they would pay themselves off mad fast I think. Always gives such awesome root growth.

I'm not sure I can do any chopping on these ones anymore? They have started preflower and are starting that stretch. Isn't that too late to be cutting for training purposes? They are outdoors, so light penetration isn't an issue like indoors. Air flow will be an issue for sure though. I'm hoping to get them hit with some actinovate or serenade next weekend. The taller one is up to 8 feet and the one that was shorter than me is now 6 feet. Next week I wanted to setup an a-frame. I am gonna look into that nylon ribbon homegrown recommended.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Just looking at your plan to tie plants.
I have had Haze lifting a sheet of steel Reo mesh used in Concrete. You can see why Hemp is strong.

I was using tie wire threaded though air tube around stems, now using nylon ribbon. The branches slide across rather then grabbing and digging in!
That's a great idea on the nylon ribbon. We should have some around already in fact. Thanks for the posts and taking time to read the thread.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
And to anybody wondering why there is perlite in an outdoor grow, that's the leftover happy frog that went into a 20 gallon fabric pot just out of frame. The rain had caused a pit at the base of one of the plants so we spread the rest over the stems of both plants for some physical defense to the rain.

cone

Sorry to hear you hurting bro, this bowl is for you. :huggg:

I agree on the roots. I'ma take a look at some of mr bungle's threads see how he is growing. See what I'm doing differently.
I forget how much the airpots I'm using were. I remember they are 3 gallon equiv and he sold them to me 40% off because they were a return a lady had just brought back because she couldn't get a handle on the watering, was losing too much nutrients she said. Even full price they would pay themselves off mad fast I think. Always gives such awesome root growth.

I'm not sure I can do any chopping on these ones anymore? They have started preflower and are starting that stretch. Isn't that too late to be cutting for training purposes? They are outdoors, so light penetration isn't an issue like indoors. Air flow will be an issue for sure though. I'm hoping to get them hit with some actinovate or serenade next weekend. The taller one is up to 8 feet and the one that was shorter than me is now 6 feet. Next week I wanted to setup an a-frame. I am gonna look into that nylon ribbon homegrown recommended.

Cheers AP, unfortunately, it goes with the territory.

Mr Bungle? I take it he grows in fabric pots all the time?

Least you got the Airpots cheaper bonus :woohoo: Definitely pay for themselves in a single grow depending how much they are in the first place.

I didn't realize they were starting to flower it depends how much growth you have above & below if it's getting light everywhere don't touch it if not take the tops where you know there won't be big buds growing take it off it won't hurt the plants I've done it loads of times without losing, in fact, the opposite.
What you giving them? actinovate or serenade never heard of it but then again you guys get a lot more things that we do over the pond.
They are really going for it now the ribbon is a better idea than fishing line.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Cheers AP, unfortunately, it goes with the territory.

Mr Bungle? I take it he grows in fabric pots all the time?

Least you got the Airpots cheaper bonus :woohoo: Definitely pay for themselves in a single grow depending how much they are in the first place.

I didn't realize they were starting to flower it depends how much growth you have above & below if it's getting light everywhere don't touch it if not take the tops where you know there won't be big buds growing take it off it won't hurt the plants I've done it loads of times without losing, in fact, the opposite.
What you giving them? actinovate or serenade never heard of it but then again you guys get a lot more things that we do over the pond.
They are really going for it now the ribbon is a better idea than fishing line.
Well I already took a bowl rip for you but here goes another one if that one didn't kick in yet. It's like thoughts and prayers but it accomplishes something. :bongsmi:

MrBungle is the one who posted the pic in this thread and mentioned he gets them coming through so I figured I'd compare and contrast with what I am doing in my cloth pots. And yes I really love the airpots.

I'll definitely check them out next weekend on the air issue. I didn't bring anything to trim with today so I ended up using an iron railroad spike to trim one of the branches that had broken in the wind/rain on the new plant out there. Whatever works :D

Actinovate and serenade are both biofungicides that basically aggressively take over the plant and then prevent other fungus/bacteria/molds/mildews from getting their foot in the door. They are only preventives though so I need to get them on now before any actual buds show up. They are both non toxic to humans and OMRI listed. Last year I got hit with powdery mildew outdoors and all I had was greencure which slowed it down but I still had to harvest early and those buds went to bubble hash that only I smoked. These plants are exponentially larger than last year so I wanna be sure they are protected solid.

And I wasn't gonna attach the fishing line to the plants themselves, even I know better than that :D I was gonna attach the fishing line to the a-frame and then tie it to some of this flex wire which was cradling, not wrapping, each branch. But I much prefer the ribbon idea. Even if I wrap them with ribbon it should still be weak enough to let them grow into it.
71aR7zgYwYL._SL1200_.jpg

MrBungle

Sorry that I don't have much info out there on what I'm doing, Up until recently I didn't really see my methods as being something other folks could learn from... So I've been pretty lame on the documentation..

My plants start off as cuttings generally, when they root I put em in small 3 inch square pots, they stay in the square pots for a fair amount of time, I usually find them root bound or close too, when it's time to transplant into the 2 gal... once they are in 2 gal pots they get a fair amount of time to stretch out, usually a couple months, As soon as they are ready for flower, they get one more transplant into 5 gal where they will live in veg for a few days to a week for some, then into the oven they go!!

For watering I'm kind of lazy I use a garden aeration can, The plants get varying amounts depending on what type of watering they got the time before... ( not 100% fool proof cause sometimes I forget)

For instance If I've given them a medium watering and a light watering, chances are they will need a heavy watering sooner rather than later..

A heavy watering is basically enough to see some standing water in the saucer, a medium watering the saucer gets wet but not standing water...a light one is just soaking the top of the media to keep the soil solution moist

My problem is I recently changed from 1 kw single ended vertical HPS lighting, to 1 kw double ended HPS horizontal lighting for flower... I was expecting similar results or slightly better with the double ended lighting, and I am getting the opposite... kind of a major bummer