What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I need some vibes IC.

Bobby Stainless

"Ill let you try my Wu-Tang style"
Veteran
My beloved Saint Bernard, Marley, has a bone tumor.

I can't bring myself to amputate his leg, just so I can keep him around another year. He is also probably too big, to be a three legged dog. In which case I would have to put him down anyways.

Vet gave him a "few weeks".

Ski trip cancelled. Stocking up on his favorite foods.

Ever bought your dog a $30 prime ribeye? That is his dinner tonight.

This fucking sucks.

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
That´s fucked up.
I feel for you and i´m sending some healing vibes your way.
Treat him to the best of your abilities and hope for a recovery.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
sorry to hear it

in matters of cancer it never hurts to get a couple of opinions

in a New England journal of medicine poll human oncologists would only try half the remedies they offer, this is just to point out that the science no matter how refined looking is still somewhat infantile in its capacities

good luck

i know it sucks to lose someone you love but it hurts far less if you remember you were lucky enough to have had that loved one in your life in the first place

Last edited:

Bobby Stainless

Veteran
Thanks for the input, and well wishes!

Chemo treatment, that might not work, would require that I go to another state for a month. It would also run about 10k just for the treatment. Success would be measured in months.

I would also lose my job.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
sorry bobby didn't mean to second guess your efforts just was hoping there might still be an out

Bobby Stainless

Veteran
I appreciate the idea.

It's just his time.

And you are correct, I have been very lucky to have this great dog. Truly my best friend.

truecannabliss

TrueCanna Genetics - Selection is art
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My friends dog just lost a leg (back right) and he was doing great after only a day, 2 weeks on he is running around and back to himself.....im gutted for you bro my boys are like sons to me so i just wanted to say maybe 3 legs could work, that being said only you know how he would be so i trust your judgement....i am sending all my love and positive vibes.
Peace & love

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
seems like 3 legs is better then the alternative, a clever dog might even make use of a wheeled platform. also if you realize the amputation is too bad for his life and happiness and he isn't adapting, you can still take the final step.

really feel for you that kind of thing is always really hard.

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
Oh Bobby.. So sorry to hear this. I know what he means to you and yours.
Yes I have fed Prime to my Dog..I was laughed at."just give him a burger he'll never kno" Well he Knew!!! he layed on his back with that whole steak in his mouth sunfishing n kickin with the juices runnin down his throat..priceless memory...

I second brother Weirds suggestion on more options..hav you thought of simpson oil??? I would try that now that I know about it..It would be a part of his diet now..Friends have had good luck with a facial tumor on their G Shep..You are now in the land of 'good days vs Bad days'' make as many good ones as you can

as far as the 10k and your job??? if it stood a chance if saving him I bet you would do it.? yes? It's just a job and dirty green paper compared to your best friend...

Wishing I truly could help...You two have my Thoughts and Prayers

Mycel

seems like 3 legs is better then the alternative, a clever dog might even make use of a wheeled platform. also if you realize the amputation is too bad for his life and happiness and he isn't adapting, you can still take the final step.

really feel for you that kind of thing is always really hard.

I agree 100%! Don't toss in the towel ! I bet he'd be fine on 3 legs ! SHit look at this pig with no front legs ....http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/30/disabled-pig-walks-on-front-legs_n_1121557.html

He looks damn happy to me !

If the tumor is confined to that one leg , Id go for it !

Why wouldnt he have more then 1 year to live post surgery? He an older dog?

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
you know i was thinking the simpson oil, but didnt want to seem gulible. but if it was one of my cats i'd sure try adding it to their diet.

eyes

Veteran
good vibes this way- lost 2 dogs in the past 2 years. i know where your heads at.

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
bobby..... I'm with U.....the LUV of a friend is always hard to let go.... specially the 4legged friend......my heart bleeds to the beat of U'rz.........

may Marley and U find peace in the last few days.........blessedBE

This is tough Bobby... I've had to put a few down in my time. Understand that the following is coming from someone who is all about his dog... He sleeps with me and goes in the car with me all the time and travels across country with me and (seems to) understands English better than my teenage daughter. I am as close to my dog as any human should be, and that has been true with every dog I have ever owned. So understand this is said with love... but sometimes you have to let them go. You must remember they aren't supposed to be with us very long. We have the ability to love many dogs in our lifetime and if all goes well, you will fondly remember each one and the one currently blocking the hallway will always be the best dog ever.

Maybe you can get a little more time out of him and maybe he can get by with 1 leg removed, but only you will know that. Maybe YOU can go through that and maybe you cant. There is no shame in not expending every resource to get a little bit more time from a dog. They are on this planet to serve us so prioritize your own needs and remember you CAN have another great dog because dogs are mostly a reflection of the one who trained them!

I wish you luck brother in making the right decisions for you family. These things are never easy... With big dogs like Saints, the time often goes way too quickly.

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So sorry about your dog Bobby, enjoy what time you have left, thats sooo cool you got him a nice piece of meat!

G

guest8905

sorry bro

I wish the best for you and yours

taking my best friend in for surgery this morning, hopefull yits all good. im nervous to hear what the vet is gonna say

i hope whatever you choose that you and your pup get to spend quality time together, a rib eye what a lucky boy!!!

Bobby Stainless

Veteran
I need to add, that some spots were found in his chest Xray.

The Vet said he thought the looked like tumors, but that a oncologist would have to verify.

My vet has known Marley since he was a puppy. He had 4k ready for him that day, if he would have told me to amputate. He said that with it being the front leg, and Marley being so big it would be hard on him.

I don't want him to suffer, because I want him to live longer.

I am going to call a couple of oncologists today though.

Thanks everyone. Nice collection of animal lovers here.