What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I need help, I can't figure this one out!

cbcool

So today was a stressful day to say the least, more plants are exhibiting what I assume to be lockout or salt burn!?

I got the soil/water samples in the mail, and ordered an EC meter.

I watered 24hrs ago with milk 20g/gal per plant, on the ones I watered, it's only been 24 hrs but no noticeable difference thus far. More plants are showing severe issues, I'll post pics of those in the AM when the lights better.

Here's some of what I've been seeing, some are way worse, some are a bit better, but the way some are looking today I fear terminal failure!? I'm about to go in to panic mode!

I'm starting to see marginal leaf burn , random black/brown spotting on leaves, and reddening on the underside of some otherwise green petioles

Attachments

• tmp_12581-IMG_20160805_161444980-1191103966.jpg
    tmp_12581-IMG_20160805_161444980-1191103966.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 4
  • tmp_12581-IMG_20160805_161316897-1936421756.jpg
    tmp_12581-IMG_20160805_161316897-1936421756.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 3
The plants leaves turning yellow is normal. The strain is flower outdoor at this time. Normal.

I would flush with massive amounts of water. Let your medium dry out. Keep roots and plant from getting to hot.

Then give some cal/mag and nitrogen if needed. (3 days later)

Old big leaves will drop off and the plant will make new leaves to continue growing better.

rykus

Cover crop too help eat the food and keep the soil more consistent moisture?...

Cool thread, lots of knowlage getting dropped so thanks!

Hope your plants are good and don't stress too much... My run out inside has hit over 2.2... Not ideal but they pull through...

cbcool

Thanks for the vote of confidence, everyone's words do help keep me calm when I think all my plants are about die.

Anyway , I got to thinking about my father's Garden when I was a kid, he had dense but Rich native soil. What got me thinking was the overwhelming population of earthworms he had! So I believe if I introduce earthworms into my hole, that should help with compaction/drainage/aeration issue.

I can't go digging around or I'll kill the plant but a couple thousand worms could do the work for me.

What do you guys think, could some worms save the day? I feel like they could

cbcool

I would flush with massive amounts of water. Let your medium dry out. Keep roots and plant from getting to hot.

I appreciate the input, makes sense that the plants hormones tweak the plant when the switch from veg to flower. The big problem is I have compact soil that doesn't drain worth a f#*k. So unfortunately I can't flush, I wish I could cause that would make life easier. I guess we have to play the hand were dealt.

I'm hoping worms will break up the soil so I can flush.

cbcool

Cover crop too help eat the food and keep the soil more consistent moisture?...

Cool thread, lots of knowlage getting dropped so thanks!

Hope your plants are good and don't stress too much... My run out inside has hit over 2.2... Not ideal but they pull through...

Thank you for the kind words, and yes I definitely want to do a cover crop next year, I live in a desert so it should help with evaporation.

As far as the knowledge, that's from all the fine folks here in the forum, I'm just the guy with a hole in the ground trying to keep a plant alive. If you want to know about precious metals extraction and process metallurgy that I can do, plant soil relationship is a different kind of chemistry/biology. I understand inorganics much better.

Last edited:

Ratzilla

Veteran
Worms can tell a grower a lot.
If they run from the area some kind of synthetic is involved.
It doesn't take much they hate preservatives especially EDTA and other such crap.
If they stay you know your area is clean of such things.
Good luck and keep us informed.
Please.
Ratz :tiphat:

Set the hose to water them on low for couple hours. This will flush the unwanted salt build ups and high ppm build up.

top feed with fresh active soil. Bat guano if needed.

I thinking you should stop watering until you see the plant wilt. Then you will know the threshold and can water better if you have poor drainage.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you read the analysis, the conductivity is very high. The idea of adding nearly anything at this point, makes no sense.

Apparently, the native soil is very retentive and full of rock, and does not drain easily. So getting that conductivity down is going to be difficult. So if you look at the concept of the Sodium Adsorption Ratio for both water and soil, the only solution is to add a lot of calcium with the lowest conductivity possible.

Ratzilla

Veteran
When you say your plants are wilting and watering doesn't seem to help.
It makes me think of Osmosis ,where two different solutions want to become one.
If their is more of a salt solution in the ground then their is in the plant all the water in the plant will rush to join its saltier side in the medium .
Thus your plants die a horrible death of dehydration even though their is plenty of water.
It like being shipwreck water , water every where but not a drop to drink.
Depending on what is making this medium the salty side , you have less then a 50% chance of pouring water through it to get its EC down.
From the very beginning of this thread you have vertically been pulled through every narrative and remind me of the dog chasing his own tail.
I didn't say that to be mean but some of the advice you been given is way out in left field at least I opine.
I mean ALL over the place.
So what did you learn?
What are you still learning?
Ratz :tiphat:

I deal with this same issue. I grow monsters then place them in ground. The soil is not that good as far as i know. So here is the deal:

When my plants get so big they outgrow the grow bags (50gal+) they start to get leafs turning light green and ugly. The roots have gone so big the soil is not working right. So the solution is to get more soil. So I dig a hole and but more soil around the plant and root base. The plant will do good until the new bottom feed soil is used up then the roots have no where to go as they do not like the native soil. They hanging in the rich stuff.

So my solution has been to transplant into new soil as the plant grow big. Then place it in its final resting place where it has sufficient soil for flowering.

Basically I learned it better to grow less weight better than it is to grow more weight but not have quality.

The adding adding soil throughout its life allows the plant to live in soil thats alive(dont buy dead soil). It can grow great in high ph soil given the soil is alive and the ebdos and ectos are doing thier job.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can have all the biology in the world and still not get enough calcium into the plant. This is about math. If you haven't read Albrecht or Tiedjens, you may be missing a lot of yield due to lack of calcium nutrition.

In this case, it seems that the milk is working, read up on the concept of soil and water SAR (sodium adsorption ratio). A plant can take higher conductivity provided there is enough calcium.

And of course, this exercise of planting in holes that don't drain, well, sort of a recipe for disaster. Mounds are much easier and will maximize air space to the roots and allow for easy flushing.

cbcool

Just an update, a couple of plants have gotten worse, nothing I've done has helped. Here's a few pics of the sicker ones. The first two pictures are of the plant in the beginning of the thread, and the next four are ones exhibiting similar symptoms.

Plant from beginning of thread lemonade

Close up

g13

Close up g13

Purple

Last edited:

cbcool

Purple close up

And here's some pictures of a couple of my healthiest plants because it's a bit depressing talking/looking at sick plants all the time.
Purple

Purple close up

kush

Kush close up

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts