What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I love the hottest peppers!

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
new hottest pepper in the world... 1.46 mil scovilles!

cbs said:
Be warned; The latest news out of Australia is hot -- too hot to handle, literally.

Workers at The Chili Factory in New South Wales are harvesting a huge crop of what they claim to be the hottest chili ever grown.

According to a report in the Australian Geographic, the "Trinidad Scorpion Butch T." registers a taste bud-melting 1,463,700 units on the Scoville scale. Jalapenos usually register between 2,500 and 5,000 units, by comparison. The previous title holder, the Naga Viper, registerd a 1,382,118.

"They're just severe, absolutely severe," Marcel de Wit, co-owner of The Chili Factory told the Australian Geographic. "No wonder they start making crowd-control grenades now with chilies. It's just wicked."

The chili is severe enough that Marcel says he and his team have to wear gloves when handling the fiery flesh, and full chemical masks and suits when cooking the peppers.

"If you don't wear gloves, your hands will be pumping heat for two days," he said.

Marcel believes the key to boosting his chili crop's heat rating was "worm juice" - a nutrient-rich liquid fertilizer extracted from the runoff of worm farms.

The chilies primarily end up as fuel for hot sauces -- the "Scorpion Strike" line -- which The Chili Factory sells on its website.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503543_162-20053419-503543.html

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
once you get over 1M scovilles is there really a difference?

you're basically sucking down pepper spray at that point. im guessing the human olfactory system is only equipped to differentiate so much...

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah,, ^^^ the hottest peppers are OK ,, but generally speaking they are NOT the ones we wanna be growing and eating all season.

M

Mountain

Yeah I read that and saw the videos and peppers like that don't interest me. I know this is the 'Hottest Peppers' thread but I go more for things like Padron's...tasty and some spice now and then. I did read or hear something like when you consume really hot peppers you get an endorphin response to deal with the pain so a natural high of sorts eating those things.

In high school, in ancient times, one friend was Jamaican and he could eat some nasty hot stuff like it was candy. I'm pretty much of Eastern European decent and my body can't handle the hot stuff well. I did live with some peeps from India for a few years and kind of got used to and eventually looked forward to the hot pickled chili they served.

THC123

Veteran
the hottest peppers are OK ,, but generally speaking they are NOT the ones we wanna be growing and eating all season.

hehe i disagree

i always jar my pepers with olive oil garlic and thyme and the hotter the better

once the oil is almost finishd i just replenish the jar with olive oil an let it sit for another ew months till it becomes red

the hotter the pepper , the more times you can refill and still get spicy oil

Krull

Soul Feeder
Veteran
hehe i disagree

i always jar my pepers with olive oil garlic and thyme and the hotter the better

once the oil is almost finishd i just replenish the jar with olive oil an let it sit for another ew months till it becomes red

the hotter the pepper , the more times you can refill and still get spicy oil

Hey THC, mind to share your recipe?
My biggest concern with jarring is how to properly dehydratate peppers and avoid dangerous fungi/mold.

Ty

=K

THC123

Veteran
i only use ripe red peppers , i let them dry on a screen or hang them for about2 months in my kitchen

they wont be totally crispy but dry

then i cut them in smaller pieces , add a about 2 whole garlic flowers chopped up nicely and some thyme and black pepper balls

then i just stash it away

sometimes i open them , you have to try to get all the floating pieces to sink

if they dont sink , after a few weeks , just remove the ones that keep floating and use them in your sauce(wouldnt wanna throw away nice pepper:D)

nothing under the surface of the oil will mold

EDIT

i fill the jar about 1/4 to 1/3 with the garlic and peppers and the rest adn then fill it with olive oil

M

Mountain

hehe i disagree
Seems you're not eating your peppers but making an oil diffusion from them.

NOTHING against hot peppers but shit...my mouth gets to the point it feels like I'm sucking on a branding iron then after that can't taste a damn thing.

Yeah had jalapenos when a kid but first time I ate a real hot one was like '92 when I was in Tucson and helped a friend prep some Habanero's. Made the mistake of rubbing my eye later in the day. Super toasty but also a nice flavor.

I'm happy with my weak Padron's and hopefully will start seeing those sprouts peek above the soil any day.

Don't get me wrong as I used to throw down a glass of warm water with a teaspoon of 90,000 btu cayenne mixed in for my sore throat but seems 90,000 btu's is mild these days...lol!

Krull

Soul Feeder
Veteran
i only use ripe red peppers , i let them dry on a screen or hang them for about2 months in my kitchen

they wont be totally crispy but dry

then i cut them in smaller pieces , add a about 2 whole garlic flowers chopped up nicely and some thyme and black pepper balls

then i just stash it away

sometimes i open them , you have to try to get all the floating pieces to sink

if they dont sink , after a few weeks , just remove the ones that keep floating and use them in your sauce(wouldnt wanna throw away nice pepper:D)

nothing under the surface of the oil will mold

EDIT

i fill the jar about 1/4 to 1/3 with the garlic and peppers and the rest adn then fill it with olive oil

Thanks for sharing bro :yes:
Drying is the easiest way to avoid problems i think.
I've found some recipes for jarring fresh peppers but they are way trickier cause you need to dehydratate with salt.
Any experience with freezing fresh peppers for later use?

Stay hot :D

=K

C

cheesey

heres some of my chili seedlings and cherry tom seedlings . ive still got my dagas germing ,

g0vnaa

ICE Cream eater
Veteran
Verry nice cheesey.
How much did they take to germinate ?
Were they under a light ?

Here are mine planted 10 days ago.
Still no germination )):
Hope they pop out soon :p

picture.php

C

cheesey

Verry nice cheesey.

Still no germination )):

picture.php

48hour for a tap roots .

same as doing canna seeds . wet tissue, take away box dark airing cubboard.

now under a 125 w enviro . will be putting my 250w in there soon .

Krull

Soul Feeder
Veteran
Verry nice cheesey.

Still no germination )):

picture.php

Hi g0vnaa,

i keep 'em under light with a limited schedule (12/12 and up is fine) just to keep 'em warm. A couple weeks are sometimes necessary so dont lose the faith :) You can place 2-3 seeds per cup to be sure and then separate them if all pop. Dont let the soil dry too much and you'll be fine.

GL

=K

C

cheesey

Verry nice cheesey.

Still no germination )):

picture.php

g0vnaa what soil did u use? im having problems with my canna seedling mix its too weak i think . my chillis and toms are pale green . think they need food . might bin them off and start again

B

bonecarver_OG

:) i ordered some more chilli seeds.. lets see if the order comes soon enough so i can plant it and enjoy it this season..

Bubba
jalapeño hercules
starfish
criolla sella
inca berry
CGN 22088 (habanero hybrid that looks like a normal chili type)

M

michael68

Hi guys, I just planted some Habanero, Cayenne, and Tobasco peppers. Hopefully they do good. Do you guys cage yours at all, I've read they can support their own weight. There's a few tomatoes and a basil plant in there. Are nights are still in the upper 40's, should be fine right?

jb5vg6.jpg

Cheers. :dance013:

Latest posts

Latest posts