What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I love the hottest peppers!

KGB47

"It's just a flesh wound"
Veteran
I have the Scorpions and the Reapers in my garden this year, of the two the only one producing is the Scorpion. Weeks of 100+ weather might be affecting them, at this point I can't be sure.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
This year is more of a chili pepper than a weed season for me. I have the following growing:
- Aji Cachucha (nearly zero heat, tastes like a habanero though)
- Aji Chinchi Amarillo
- Cayenne: Red and yellow varieties
- Habaneros: Gold, Red, Red Savina, and Antillais
- Scotch Bonnets: "Real" SB, Jamaican Hot Yellow, and red Caribbean bell pepper
- Fatalii Yellow
- Trinidad Scorpions: Red and Moruga
- Bhut Jolokia
- Carolina Reaper

Weather's weird, too hot during the day but rather cold at night during the last 2 weeks. Several flowers dropped and the fruits are often fairly small and only start ripening now... but the plants grow really nice and the ones I grew from seeds this spring might still give a few fruits. Gotta take cuts for next year, though.

Besides, I had a Bhut Jolokia for nearly 3 years before frost in the winter garden killed it ;( . That's why I'll take cuttings so I can overwinter them more easily.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Always sad. I had one last nearly four years before I changed the medium and killed the poor bastard.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
As I never kept a peppper more than 2 years, I would like to hear what happened to yeld (on same plant) as years gone by.
For me it was hit and miss, some grown into monsters second year and gave a yeld that was over 5 times what they gave first year and some were barely hanging in there. So I would love some input from others on this matter.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
As I never kept a peppper more than 2 years, I would like to hear what happened to yeld (on same plant) as years gone by.
For me it was hit and miss, some grown into monsters second year and gave a yeld that was over 5 times what they gave first year and some were barely hanging in there. So I would love some input from others on this matter.

i have '2' reapers that r 3 years old, and the production has never been better - they are filled with fruit and flowers- have not repotted it yet either- this winter i will cut it back, do a bit of root pruning and add some new soil...

KGB47

Veteran
i have '2' reapers that r 3 years old, and the production has never been better - they are filled with fruit and flowers- have not repotted it yet either- this winter i will cut it back, do a bit of root pruning and add some new soil...

If you have extra Reapers I'll take them off your hands. :D

HorseBadoritiz

The only one I've kept has been that Tabasco I've shown. It's in it's 3rd season, has never been repotted, is in a SIPs, and has more fruits than ever.:)

I was going to retire it after this harvest because the wicks are almost gone, but I think I'll just shove some new ones in, if I can, and whack her back for another try.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The first and second years were poor. In my area they recommend starting chinense in Nov/Dec, I was late in January. Then the first overwinter went poorly. Watered too often and should have pruned into a smaller pot.

Third and fourth outperformed by a wide margin.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
If you have extra Reapers I'll take them off your hands. :D

i grow em as a noverty ... i luv 'hot' but the reaper is beyond hot.. other then keepin some for people who say they can eat any hot pepper, i give em to a Mex. fast food place nearby- this guy makes em into a sauce, and eats em whole on top of an avocado... he's nuts...

KGB47

Veteran
i grow em as a noverty ... i luv 'hot' but the reaper is beyond hot.. other then keepin some for people who say they can eat any hot pepper, i give em to a Mex. fast food place nearby- this guy makes em into a sauce, and eats em whole on top of an avocado... he's nuts...

I make my own sauces as well, used in moderation the reaper makes an excellent ingredient in hot sauces. I'll still take some if you have extra. :D

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Check out fermentation for your sauces. Makes the heat of Reapers palapable, and accentuates the flavor!

yeah we did some last year in a peach and also a pineapple sauce- it calmed it a bit.... but its still ass-kickin....

just heading out for a late lunch... in my pocket a jalapeno, that is surprising 'warm' , and a lemon hot, the 1st picking of the year- both r still green...

HorseBadoritiz

yeah we did some last year in a peach and also a pineapple sauce- it calmed it a bit.... but its still ass-kickin....

just heading out for a late lunch... in my pocket a jalapeno, that is surprising 'warm' , and a lemon hot, the 1st picking of the year- both r still green...

Glad to hear you didn't put a reaper in your pocket:)

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
'4' reaper plants, coming on like gang busters- so are the cayenne's, and the lemon hots- thai's not far behind , as are the jalepeno's

growing some fatelli's... they are a bit behind the others, but picked one that turned yellow- fuk it was hot... also growing georgia flames (i think thats the name)... they are still green...

HorseBadoritiz

'4' reaper plants, coming on like gang busters- so are the cayenne's, and the lemon hots- thai's not far behind , as are the jalepeno's

growing some fatelli's... they are a bit behind the others, but picked one that turned yellow- fuk it was hot... also growing georgia flames (i think thats the name)... they are still green...
Pictures or it's not happening:)

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
here we go - i picked a bunch of reaper yesterday that were ripe, and a few fatelli's/cayennes and jalapenos- i'm now pickin every 2 days...

Attachments

• IMG_2777.JPG
    IMG_2777.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2778.JPG
    IMG_2778.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2779.JPG
    IMG_2779.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2782.JPG
    IMG_2782.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2783.JPG
    IMG_2783.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 17

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
1st is cayenne... nice flavor, and reasonably hot
2nd is the reaper - they have no redeeming qualities - tooooo hot
3rd is lemon hot - tastes of lemon and is hot
4th is thai - havent sampled one yet, as just turning red
5th is another reaper- still all green

the georgia flame's and fatelli's are all still green -

HorseBadoritiz

Nice Zack, we have similar tastes for pepperheads, LOL!
Chiltepins, Thai Hots, Fataliis, Reapers

Thai Hots

Fataliis

Aji Limon Lemon Drops, Lemon Hots!)

Trinidad Perfumes. These taste like habaneros, but have zero heat... the ladies love them!

Hit the limit, stay tuned.