What's new

I love the hottest peppers!

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As they say....everything in moderation, including scoville heat index peppers....read on"

A word to the wise: Stay away from ghost peppers.

A puree made from these peppers — which are infamous for their off-the-charts level of spiciness — led to a rare, life-threatening condition in an otherwise healthy, 47-year-old man in California, according to a recent report of the man's case.

Ghost peppers are among the hottest chili peppers in the world, the report said. They have a measured "heat" of more than 1 million Scoville heat units, according to the report. (For comparison, a poblano pepper measures at 2,000 Scoville units, and jalapeños come in at 5,000. Eating a single seed from a ghost pepper can cause severe burning in the mouth that lasts up to 30 minutes, the report said. [Here's a Giant List of the Strangest Medical Cases We've Covered]

In the man's case, a ghost pepper had been pureed and served atop a hamburger as a part of an eating contest at local restaurant. After finishing the pepper-topped burger, the man drank six large glasses of water, then began "violently retching and vomiting," according to the report, which was published online in September in the Journal of Emergency Medicine.
Man Ate a Ghost Pepper So Hot It Burned a Hole in His Esophagus

A 47-year-old man ate a pepper so hot that it ripped a 2.5-cm hole in his esophagus.

The man ended up going to the emergency room in San Francisco because he couldn't stop vomiting, and developed severe chest and stomach pain, the authors wrote.

A CT scan of the man's chest appeared to show that his esophagus was torn and that his left lung had collapsed, so the man was sent for emergency surgery.

During the operation, the surgeons found a 2.5-centimeter (1 inch) tear in the man's esophagus. The tear was leaking food — a mix of "hamburger, onions and other green vomitus material" — into the space around the man's left lung, which had collapsed, according to the report. The surgeons repaired the man's esophagus and re-inflated his lung, then placed him on a feeding tube so that his esophagus could heal.

The man's condition, a "spontaneous esophageal rupture," which is also called Boerhaave syndrome, is "a relatively rare phenomenon," said lead study author Dr. Ann Arens, who was aphysician in the department of emergency medicine at the University of California, San Francisco at the time of the man's case in the summer of 2015. (Arens is currently an emergency medicine doctor and medical toxicologist at Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis.)

Spontaneous esophageal rupture is caused by violent vomiting and retching, Arens said. In other words, the man's reaction to the ghost pepper, rather than the pepper itself, caused the rupture, Arens said.

The condition is very dangerous, and is fatal in 20 to 40 percent of all cases, even when patients receive treatment, the report said. "If [the condition is] left untreated, mortality approaches 100 percent," the authors wrote.

When patients die from a ruptured esophagus, the cause of death is likely a "rapid and fatal infection," Arens told Live Science.

The man was sent home from the hospital 23 days after the operation, the report said. His feeding tube was still in place when he was sent home, but Arens said the tube was only temporary, until the esophagus healed. She said she believes the man is currently doing well.

When Arens spoke to the man after the surgery, he "did not seem keen to try [eating a ghost pepper] again," she said.

Arens noted that she was not the primary doctor in the ER who was caring for the patient; rather, she was contacted by the doctors treating the man, because they wanted to know if there were any "antidotes" for hot peppers, she said.

"Unfortunately, there are no specific antidotes for hot peppers outside of the usual antacids," Arens added.

Originally published on Live Science.

Last edited by a moderator:

HorseBadoritiz

I get uncontrollable hiccups from Jalapenos, so bad I've been asked to leave restaurants, lol!

No other peppers do it to me, and I've had Ghosts, Butch T's, and Reapers!

But, I also think if I chugged six glasses of water, I'd be doing some pretty good retching anyway!

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I only get the hiccups from the hotter peppers, nothing below naga's. That is how I know what I served was "hot enaugh". :muahaha:
Also, I noticed that once the body gets over the impact of the hotness, I can eat more, as much as I want without feeling anymore "bad" effects. This gets me into some kind of body rush I enjoy from time to time.

HorseBadoritiz

I brought this bucket of tabascos inside around the beginning of Dec.
picture.php

After a couple of weeks I cut everything back to 10-12", there were no leaves on any stalks, at all! This pic is from a week after I chopped them back. Leaves started showing at every node!
picture.php

This guy hitched a ride in!
picture.php

This is what they looked like yesterday!
picture.php

picture.php

This is great for me, because all my peppers had cross pollinated over the past few years, and this lets me keep the strain going without having to save seeds.

I've heard I can clone peppers, too, but haven't tried it. Has anybody? I'm wondering where to cut, and what happens to the mom?

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I broke a branch off last spring from one of my pepper plants.. put a little root powder on the tip, trimmed most of the leaves off, stuck it into some soil, n covered it with a plastic bag in a 1/2 sunny window... n then 4got about it for 3-4weeks... the bag kept it moist, n it had roots... so its def possible..

HorseBadoritiz

I broke a branch off last spring from one of my pepper plants.. put a little root powder on the tip, trimmed most of the leaves off, stuck it into some soil, n covered it with a plastic bag in a 1/2 sunny window... n then 4got about it for 3-4weeks... the bag kept it moist, n it had roots... so its def possible..

What happened where the branch broke off the mother plant?

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
What happened where the branch broke off the mother plant?

nothing to the mum, as she was quite large, in a 5gallon bucket, and as said I shaved the end,into rooting powder,into a small pot with lite soil, watered,put a bag over it, into a party sunny window and.... I 4got about it for a few weeks... but there was suff moisture in the bag , so when I realized I 4got about it, took it out of the bag, into a sunny window, and she is growing fine ...in my garden room for the winter... I believe it was a Carolina reaper... but not sure... I have 6 var of hot peppers, and another 1/2 dozen sweet/frying peppers...all cut back at the end of the season and put into my garden room... and they all are doing great.. actually picked off a cayenne last week- i missed that flower... it was tasty, with a bit of burn, no where near to the hotness in the summer ...

Moonjuice5050

Love me some spicy peppers!!! Grew a bunch of purple cayenne, chocolate habeneros, spicy thai, and ghost this last season, threw them all in a 7%salt brine with a little vinegar, onion, and garlic, let it ferment for a month, put it in the blender, strain it, or leave it chunky, tasted just like Tabasco, but better because I made it

HorseBadoritiz

Love me some spicy peppers!!! Grew a bunch of purple cayenne, chocolate habeneros, spicy thai, and ghost this last season, threw them all in a 7%salt brine with a little vinegar, onion, and garlic, let it ferment for a month, put it in the blender, strain it, or leave it chunky, tasted just like Tabasco, but better because I made it

Fermenting is the ticket! We've been using this vinegar

HorseBadoritiz

I finally got some pepper clones to strike! Left 2 nodes, scraped the stem, dipped it in an aloe leaf, stuck it in vermiculite on a heating pad, and 3 weeks later 7 out of 8 are showing roots... and I'm pretty sure the 8th has taken too.
picture.php

picture.php

The overwintered Tabasco is loving the greenhouse.
picture.php

picture.php

One of the flats of seed starts.
picture.php

We're also picking up some reaper and naga plants. It's going to be a hot summer, lol!

The sauce biz is picking up steam, we're going to try and fill that sucker up with peppers!

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
You can find seeds online for those. Anyway, cause of the security risks involved, this is about the worst place to do this kind of exchange.
Good luck finding the seeds you want.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
7. Solicitations: Threads or posts soliciting or offering the buying/selling/trading/swapping/testing/giving of seeds, clones, pollen, cannabis, hash, money or any other substance or article is not permitted and will be deleted, with the member subjected to banning without warning. Threads or posts dealing with illegal drugs other than cannabis are not permitted and will be deleted.

Hmmm

Hmmm

Beauty!!!!! I was gifted some " hots" from a pepper farmer in ohio ( usa) and it was tomatillos!
Luckily this plant is producing for me but ive no clue what these are honestly.

Attachments

• 0531170857a.jpg
    0531170857a.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 0531170857.jpg
    0531170857.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 0531170856.jpg
    0531170856.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 0524171331b.jpg
    0524171331b.jpg