What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I bought a 3D Printer..

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Flashforge Creator Pro :woohoo:

I got it last week and have been printing up a storm.

Anyone out there doing 3D printing?

Anyone have any fun stoner .stl files?

Any questions about 3D printing?

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
been watching this market for a while now, haven't dipped into it but I am thinking the time is ripe, I have many ideas, might work out well.

DoomsDay

Cad and 3d printing is indeed awesome as hell. We've got a few in my engineering classes that were able to mess with but have yet to personally run anything. Was creating a 5 inch radius propeller in solid works just to have somethjng to print. The twist needed on the prop poses a greater challenge than one would think when designing in CAD.

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
It's about time...

It's about time...

been watching this market for a while now, haven't dipped into it but I am thinking the time is ripe, I have many ideas, might work out well.

You just need to be careful as the build quality is lacking on some 3D printers from some builders.

I bought my Flashforge Creator Pro on Amazon. Why? They have great builds and Mr. Tang, the best tech support you are going to find. It is a copy of the Makerbot Replicator 2 which is unfortunately shipping bad builds with little support and it is twice the price of the Flashforge.

I have probably printed 50+ items so far. :woohoo:

I'm printing 3D Christmas Cards for my friends.

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Which CAD software were you using?

Which CAD software were you using?

Cad and 3d printing is indeed awesome as hell. We've got a few in my engineering classes that were able to mess with but have yet to personally run anything. Was creating a 5 inch radius propeller in solid works just to have somethjng to print. The twist needed on the prop poses a greater challenge than one would think when designing in CAD.

I'm using freeCAD and Blender and looking into SolidWorks.

AU what fun :party:

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
make me a few guns ...yeehaw..do you think plastic will survive a 44 mag round????....I would love to have one ..it would be priceless for classic car restoration ..some of them parts are impossible to replace...to be able to copy would be great...

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Both are possible...

Both are possible...

make me a few guns ...yeehaw..do you think plastic will survive a 44 mag round????....I would love to have one ..it would be priceless for classic car restoration ..some of them parts are impossible to replace...to be able to copy would be great...

For a 44 Mag you would probably need a metal barrel. Otherwise a single shot would be easy.

Most of the news about printing guns has been about M16 Receivers. This is the part which has the serial number on it. This enables people to print out the receiver and you can purchase all of the other parts thru the mail. So it would not be traceable to anyone.

The design was available on the internet until it was taken down, re-posted and taken down. etc. The people in charge don't want this stuff getting out. So I suppose if you need something like that you can go to the Dark Web :)

As for Classic Car restoration, it fits the it to a tee. For that small part they don't make anymore. If you can work a CAD program, you can build it (or have someone design it for you)

I am focusing on small parts and prototyping. Today I am building Display Mounts for Minerals (my wife is a RockChipper). I created a smaller one and they came out good, so I size them up for bigger stones and they are printing now.

I am a week into it and can produce Industrial Quality 3D Prints.

Having a blast :party:no pun intended

St. Phatty

Flashforge Creator Pro :woohoo:

I got it last week and have been printing up a storm.

Anyone out there doing 3D printing?

Anyone have any fun stoner .stl files?

Any questions about 3D printing?

I had a 3D printing consulting job that basically involved massaging a mesh and moving an object so that it was all in "positive space" (the 3D octant where X, Y, and Z are all positive.)

I've been thinking about buying one myself, to use for pattern-making (making molds for metal-casting.)

It is a cool technology but sometimes I think the news media over-hypes it a bit.

What aps do you like to use to draw with ... Oops now I see.

If you have a 3D object (on the computer) and it has a super-trippy texture ... and you do the function to convert the texture to vertex or face color - can the 3D printer then use that color data ... basically to replicate the texture map ?

Anyway, it's cool that you got it :woohoo:

Last edited:

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
3D printing is hear to stay..

3D printing is hear to stay..

Hey St. Phatty,

I have a friend who own a medium sized manufacturing company and I know he is interested in making molds for metal casting.

Very Interesting. They have big CNC equipment and they just purchased a 3D printer. (Don't know what kind)

I will be working with them, consulting. I am very impressed with the Flashforge, it is virtually a Desktop 3D printer.

I put an Advertisement in Craiglist this morning and got an e-mail this afternoon. A guy wants me to prototype his trinket. I called him and told him to send the .stl files and we will work it out.

:biggrin:

New technology is fun

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Flashforge Creator Pro..

Flashforge Creator Pro..

if you don't mind...what was the price range and what does ink cost?

The Flashforge Creator Pro was $1199 on Amazon. It came with 2 spools of filament (2 Kilos) enough to print shitloads of stuff.

I bought 6 more spools , red, white, blue, black, green and natural for about $29 a spool.

The reason I bought it from Amazon is because of the great reviews of the tech support (Mr. Tang). You may need support when you set it up, I had a question and Mr. Tang responded overnight and I was able to resolve all of my issues. If you don't buy from Amazon your tech support will be from whoever sold it to you.

There is a lot of information on the web to help you make a decision. There lots of different models available in price ranges from $300 (Kits) to $80,000+

BTW there are less expensive 3D Printers starting at $400 which look good.

Good Luck

St. Phatty

Hey St. Phatty,

I have a friend who own a medium sized manufacturing company and I know he is interested in making molds for metal casting.

What kind of metal - aluminum or something higher temp ?

I have seen Plaster of Paris used as mold material for Aluminum (melts about 1100 F) and investment used as mold material for Silver and Gold.

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Not sure..

Not sure..

What kind of metal - aluminum or something higher temp ?

I have seen Plaster of Paris used as mold material for Aluminum (melts about 1100 F) and investment used as mold material for Silver and Gold.

He is a good friend of mine and we talked briefly about it over dinner (his wife and mine share the same birthday) but mostly we listened :biggrin:

I'm not sure, but I think we are going to cast gold. (His business makes about 80% of small portable mining equipment worldwide). We'll see.

I got my scanner yesterday but haven't set it up yet.

I bought a Manner and Form scanner, looks great. I'll update you when I get it calibrated and do my first successful scan.

:tiphat:

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Scanned and printed a Wood Duck

Scanned and printed a Wood Duck

Scanned and printed a Wood Duck And was very impressed.

I was able to scan in the duck, clean the scan, export it to an .stl file to print out.

I also got the mesh and a .obj file.

I got a lot more done than I thought I would in a short time.

So much fun :party:

shithawk420

Veteran
Just got done watching a show on youtube where they made limbs and such for animal with disabilities.very cool.cant wait to see more of this kind of thing

Al Botross

ICMag Donor
Veteran
http://3dprint.com/101512/3d-printed-working-railgun/

osteoid%2033.jpg

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/3d-printed-cast-speeds-bone-recovery-using-ultrasound

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
21st Century stuff

21st Century stuff

Just got done watching a show on youtube where they made limbs and such for animal with disabilities.very cool.cant wait to see more of this kind of thing

It looks like a great way to prototype and do some pretty amazing thing.

I'm just learning :)