What's new

Hydro Guy Does Dirt

So, I'm at my shrink appointment on Monday and she tells me that I need to "participate more"...naturally, I assumed she meant for me to start my first ever online grow journal :rasta:
A little about me, I'm a e&f sog grower and have been for awhile. About a year and a half ago I switched my mothers over to dirt (FFOF mixed 2:1 with perilite) and absolutely loved the ease and performance (plants were healthy and grew fast but not too fast) Along with my mothers, I started throwing some favorite strains that didn't produce enough to warrant a spot at the big show but are some of my best smokes into small dirt pots. So, after a bit I was putting small plants in 1gal or 2gal pots of dirt anywhere that I saw a ray of unused light in my flower room ;) Now, a guy that learned to grow in hydro has learned that he loves dirt too.....

OK, that's enough reading without mentioning strains, here goes, Mental Floss (Chimera), Golden Pineapple (JLP), Lemon Stinky (CrazyX), D39 (Reservoir), Kalichachra (Mandala), Suckerpunch (local cut) and possibly some others...we'll see

I am making some renovations to my flower room over the next couple months and needed to be able to easily move my flower plants around. So, I will be temporarily phasing out hydro and switching to larger dirt plants and will add new strains as they come of age. These strains are all new to me (except mental floss, germed 3 previously but gave away female because it took too long to finish for my needs at the time and suckerpunch, which I have had for awhile) and I'm hoping for some keepers :joint:

Here are some pics of what I've got so far

4 mental floss (4/5 germed) 33 days from germ, topped once 2 weeks ago

close up

Golden pineapple (only 2/5germed ) 26 days from germination

close up

Lemon Stinky, D39, Kalichachra

Closeup Lemon Stinky (8/10germed) 12days old

D39 (7/10 germed) 11 days old

Kalichachra (3/5 germed and I ripped the cotyledon leaves off of 1 while trying to remove the shell :nono: ) 8 days from direct sew germ

The starter room

It's all about environment

This whole grow log thing is new to me, hell, this whole online forum thing is new to me...so, if anyone has any questions or would like to see additional pics of something, just let me know. Otherwise I will be updating once a week at a minimum.

This should be fun and thanks for stopping by......

Oh yea, I'm a stoned ass rambler...just to warn you :muahaha:

Last edited:

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
This looks like it will be an interesting thread, I am going to be growing out some mandala this spring sometime.

I will be coming back to see how that Kalichakra grows

Thanks for stoppin by Dr. Dog, this Kalichachra will be my first experience with Mandala...other than the fine doctor I see the interest level is a little low so far. Well, I have a couple updates: First are some pics of the Suckerpunch in veg

Here it is in flower at about 6 weeks

This is what happens to a suckerpunch clone when you cut off all nodes except very top and throw immediately into flower - 6weeks :bashhead:

This is the suckerpunch joint that I'm smokin right now :D

We will call these the before renovation pics :headbange

Other info that I forgot in my opening post: I use Fox Farms complete line (3 liquid, 3soluable), cal/mag+, and hygrozyme in both hydro and dirt. I believe that most people baby their plants. I believe that the sayings "less is more" and "more is better" both pertain to growing. I believe that you have not truely shown your plants love until you have savagely cut them in half simply to make them larger....I don't believe that something is wrong just because it's illegal.

Last edited:

barletta

Bandaid
Veteran
That suckerpunch looks tasty Al. What does it grow/smell/taste like? I imagine that it's a fruity indica from the name.....

Thanks for swingin through barletta...I too thought that it would be fruity, but I came to learn that the name refers to the unexpected pounding that this weed puts on your dome :bashhead: The flavor is actually very hashy and thick...a large inhale from a joint almost feels like the consistency of whipped cream in your mouth, like you could almost chew it. Smell is skunky and dank, when you break this stuff out at a picknick, everyone's head turns to see the treasures. Buds are very dense and completely covered in trichomes...i wish I could take a decent picture :wave: As for growing,she is a hybrid, she thrives in hydro or dirt, as long as ph is kept in check she can take a decent amount of nutes, does best with 1-2 weeks veg in hydro and 3+ in dirt, does NOT like to run in a no veg sog. Trichomes start to appear by the end of 1st week of flower and buds look done as early as 6 weeks. However, full medicinal value requires an 8 week finish. Oh yea, the effect at 6 weeks is a very strong body stone that is great weekend weed. At 8 weeks this stuff is simply parylizing (sp) to the point that I only really grow it for a couple med patients and my own stash. Most of my heavy smoker friends aren't even huge fans of it because it just knocks you out joint=nap. I am told however that it is great for pain and of course insomnia :rasta:

I appreciate you stoppin by Shhh, hopefully things will get interesting soon enough.

Ok, fist order of business, my Mental Floss all turned out male :badday: (that's a total of 1/10 females for the whole pack, I'm kinda embarassed). So, I lst 2 suckerpunch, 1 DP Powerplant, 1 HGF Big Bud and threw them into flower to fill up some space (3rd day flower in this pic)

I also decided to start some more seeds
Hashberry

Double Strawberry Diesel

Lemon Stinky and D39 about 20days from germ

Kalichakra 15 days from Germ

Recap of strains to watch for in this thread:
golden pineapple, lemon stinky, D39, Kalichakra, powerplant, bigbud, hashberry, double strawberry diesel ...

Dr Dog

Veteran
Ahh I see more Mandala going, that is a good way to get me and my close bros to stop in.
You have quite a selection of genetics going, this should get really cool come bud time.

Keep it going green bro

Y

yamaha_1fan

Nice grow Albert. I am sure you will do well, from your other posts, you seem to know what you are doing.

ethereal

Warrior
Veteran
"It's all about environment" i like the way u think my man :)
Albert Hofmann said:
Thanks for swingin through barletta...I too thought that it would be fruity, but I came to learn that the name refers to the unexpected pounding that this weed puts on your dome :bashhead: The flavor is actually very hashy and thick...a large inhale from a joint almost feels like the consistency of whipped cream in your mouth, like you could almost chew it. Smell is skunky and dank, when you break this stuff out at a picknick, everyone's head turns to see the treasures. Buds are very dense and completely covered in trichomes...i wish I could take a decent picture :wave: As for growing,she is a hybrid, she thrives in hydro or dirt, as long as ph is kept in check she can take a decent amount of nutes, does best with 1-2 weeks veg in hydro and 3+ in dirt, does NOT like to run in a no veg sog. Trichomes start to appear by the end of 1st week of flower and buds look done as early as 6 weeks. However, full medicinal value requires an 8 week finish. Oh yea, the effect at 6 weeks is a very strong body stone that is great weekend weed. At 8 weeks this stuff is simply parylizing (sp) to the point that I only really grow it for a couple med patients and my own stash. Most of my heavy smoker friends aren't even huge fans of it because it just knocks you out joint=nap. I am told however that it is great for pain and of course insomnia :rasta:
ive been lookin for something for sleep because nothing but og kush or LOTS of purps has been doing it for me :( been thinking of maybe trying some seeds to find a proper sleepy indica for the med needs of myself and fam.. do u know the lineage of the sucker? great lookin garden. keep em comin :) :yes::yes:

Damn nice to see some people stopin by...

Dr. Dog - I'm excited to see what becomes of these mandala seeds, the price is great, so, fingers crossed.

Yamaha - I was hoping you'd swing in. I think you'll like the room expansion plans in addition to the strains :D

ethereal - I'm trying to figure out the exact lineage. This cut was gifted to me a while ago with absolutely no info on the parents. I posted it yesterday in the flower pics section here http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=1472340#post1472340 Either way, once I get all these new strains sorted out and moms selected I have a couple plans for this little lady...one of which includes a shitload of S-1's...

G

Go AL go.......

You should LOVE soils as they WILL give
a way better flavor and with BIG pots MORE
and MORE yields not just a bud like that suckerpunch?
That shit flowers quick and that can be good given long veg!
Just dont get mites,unless you got avid an sturripM hahaha..
Update soon!

Lougrew! said:
Go AL go.......

You should LOVE soils as they WILL give
a way better flavor and with BIG pots MORE
and MORE yields not just a bud like that suckerpunch?
That shit flowers quick and that can be good given long veg!
Just dont get mites,unless you got avid an sturripM hahaha..
Update soon!

Thanks for stoppin Lou, I've enjoyed lurking in your threads :rasta: Uh oh, the hydro vs soil flavor battle lol As a long term hydro guy I don't think I'm supposed to agree with you...but I will say this, I have 2 strains that are a challenge in the flavor dept in my garden 1 is a heavily indica (bagseed actually) strain that definately tastes better in dirt, the second is the suckerpunch. I have not yet flowered the suckerpunch in dirt so we will see with that one

Here are a couple pics

First plant I every flowered in dirt, this is the bagseed under indirect light only - just over 3oz dried and desticked

Unfortunately, this is the best pic of the suckerpunch I have when it has not been stunted by over pruning (front of tray)

Update...

Transplanted D39 & Lemon Stinky into 1gal pots @ day 21
before

After

1 of my 2 Golden Pineapples is female...large plant in pic above.

Here are the suckerpunch, bigbud and powerplant 1 week flowering

Kalichakra 21 days

Double Stawberry Diesel and Hashberry have sprouted...my streak of at least 1 germinated seed from every strain hardening off is intact :bashhead:

I'm a no veg SOG grower and am not really setup for veging a bunch of plants in dirt pots. So, I am throwing lights and plants wherever I can at the moment

Y

yamaha_1fan

I am lost bro. All the different strains, timelines and veg areas has my head spinning :D As far as the strain go, I am just not up to speed on whats good and whats not :(

Are you going to make your whole flower area dirt too? Will that be temporary or just while you remodel?

I dont normally come in this forum, so I missed it when you posted it. I should check in here more often as this is where all the grows should be

hey yamaha-

I'll tell ya what, this is the most I have ever had going on strainwise in my garden at one time. I am new to buying seeds online and have always started maybe 1 new strain a year and those always came home the hard way :badday: Now that I have gotten past my paranoia I can start 6-8 years worth of strains at one time....but it sure gets confusing at times.

As for the flower area, the dirt is temporary as it is is easy for me to move the pots out of the room while I am working on making upgrades to the room. E & F will always be my main method...it's just too simple to give up :rasta:

All these pics were taken today

Lemon Stinky and D39 day 29 - topped 2 days ago

Kalichakra day 27

Hashberry (red cups) and DSD (blue cups) 11 days

Interesting looking DSD

Golden Pineapple LST and put into flower today (currently sitting on the pots from my just harvested trays :bashhead: )

Suckerpunch 14 days flower

Big Bud 14 days flower

Powerplant 14 days

Last edited:

Dr Dog

Veteran
Some impressive growth here man
Can I see another angle on that suckerpunch? That is a crazy looking LST