What's new

Hydro bucket (hempy with extra reservoir)

jay-toker

picture.php

dudin

No problem. Cant you just put hydrotons or perlite on top so the soil doesnt get exposed to the light. Think that will keep the top soil moist if that was your problem.

I will use bottom feeding in my auto grow. Like it better then regular "top watering". A couple of cm with hydrotons a sheet of landscaping fabric and homemade smart pots. Guess its a wick system.
Know you have seen it but anyway.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=245042

dudin

Well this is the mess after the super cropp. Have started to defoliate, harder on the Blue widow the white berry is pretty much left alone. Did it after the pictures were taken.
29biu88.jpg

x6k9xu.jpg

34ir8zr.jpg

FRIENDinDEED

A FRIEND WITH WEED IS A . . .
Veteran
fucking phenomenal grow style dudin!!! nuff props to you, just do me a solid though just in case i missed it, what is the exact setup that you have? the parts and everything if youdont mind a lil list?

im thinking about something like this but i would do it later on down the line with a 1k HID and maybe a 2gl bucket inside of a 5gl bucket as a rez; connect those to a controller bucket; controller bucket connects to a bigger rez.

i'd have to do the research but how many buckets like the a fore mentioned would i be able to put under a 1k light?

sorry, bumped into this thread and am a lil high right now, so the mental wheels are tuuuuuuuurning!

dudin

@friend thanks. Its not complicated at all. Most of the info is in the start of the thread the only thing I had to add was the airpump. Should have put it in from start as they showed signs of over watering pretty fast.
Now I can leave it 1 1/2 week if I want (8-10L reservoir).
Never measure ph or ec use water straight from the tap. I use hesi bloom soil and hesi pk for hydro and supervit. Super simple.

My next grow will be in selfwatering pots, hempy mix and added air to the roots. Think that will give me 3-5 days without watering. Hempy ala DWC/SWC.

FRIENDinDEED

Veteran
@friend thanks. Its not complicated at all. Most of the info is in the start of the thread the only thing I had to add was the airpump. Should have put it in from start as they showed signs of over watering pretty fast.
Now I can leave it 1 1/2 week if I want (8-10L reservoir).
Never measure ph or ec use water straight from the tap. I use hesi bloom soil and hesi pk for hydro and supervit. Super simple.

My next grow will be in selfwatering pots, hempy mix and added air to the roots. Think that will give me 3-5 days without watering. Hempy ala DWC/SWC.

damn dude please do that!!! this all sounds like a pland to me, slow hydro without the constant watering, just check levels every week or so and your good . . .. . dude, once again phenominal fucking grow style yo, you get applause from me hands down.

not too many moving parts, ony thing that would really get shit crackin is to hook up a float valve somwhere in one of the rez (if you have mutliple sites) OR you could set up a float valve on the one site you have and hook it up to a bigger rez

lol, this is why i always never have money, always tryin out the new shit, BUT i wont try it if i know it doesnt really benefit

nice

FRIENDinDEED

Veteran
Ok here is my passiv hydro setup. I think its a hempy but some didnt so I run it in a new thread.
I have some hempy experience and I really like the result of it. At my new location i sometimes need to leave it for longer periods so i modified the hempy bucket to a extended reservoir hempy.

Dont know if it works but I cant see any reasons why it shouldnt.
If i fill the tank up to the blue line in the picture I get at 10L reservoir. Hpe it atleast gives me a week. The buckets are just plain 5L 1$ buckets with 10 holes drilled in the side and in the bottom. Filled with 3parts perlite and 1 part vermikulit.

View Image

The light: a 150w dimmable HPS and a magelux v reflector. Just flipped to 12/12. Want them short! the light is closer then in the picture about 20 cm from the plants.

The strains are white berry from paradise seeds and blue widow from DinaFem.

Nutes: Using Hesi Bloom soil 15ml/10L water and two drops of Supervit

All is fitted in an old safe 50x55x150cm.

View Image

edit: The metric system rules.

dudin,

i gotta ask for specifics, when you planted these plants were the roots able to touch the bottom or rather to the water line of the rez? OR were they deep enough to get the wicking action of the periliter/vermiculite mixture?

heres a scenario:
say for example my buckets are a 1' tall but my cuttings roots are about 10" to a 1' themselves. so say you drill holes at the bottom 2" of your buckets, then you would get a wicking action of, say maybe, 3" - 4" above the rez level.

so you've got 1' - (2"+3")= 7" so that means that my cuttings roots would have to be atleast 7" or longer or does that even matter?

i can do this correct the first time once ive thought everything through, some of the fun of growing is figuring out the little details of something to get it right the first time.

when i saw the word hempy and looking at your setup for the first time i would automatically think that there was some manner of pump involved since with hempy youve have to water more frequently - then i noticed there was no pump so the plants have to be relying solely on the wicking action.

so, if you've noticed already, how far up does the wicking action go above the rez level in relation to the top of the medium surface

dudin

Since the water in the bucket (hole in the bottom) is at the same level as the water in the rez its just to ad more if they look thirsty. My experience is that its moist all the way up, a bit too moist therefore the airpump is necessary for good growth.

It really is silly simple. I think a reservoir that lasts 8-10 days is pretty good, after that you probably need to adjust the nutes anyway.
Take a good look at big selfwatering pots. I think they will work great with hempy mix and added air.
Here is a link to my new grow switched to a hempy ala dwc/swc. Air not added yet.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=245042&page=2

FRIENDinDEED

Veteran
Since the water in the bucket (hole in the bottom) is at the same level as the water in the rez its just to ad more if they look thirsty. My experience is that its moist all the way up, a bit too moist therefore the airpump is necessary for good growth.

It really is silly simple. I think a reservoir that lasts 8-10 days is pretty good, after that you probably need to adjust the nutes anyway.
Take a good look at big selfwatering pots. I think they will work great with hempy mix and added air.
Here is a link to my new grow switched to a hempy ala dwc/swc. Air not added yet.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=245042&page=2

ok couple of things i went and looked at the link and thats a cool setup

i went back to pg2 of this thread to see the ins and outs of adding the air pump and i have at least 4 double outlet pumps and another 3 single outlet that i split with a 1/4" T-connector, a back flow valve on each end to act as a air flow "limitor". they were/are for my 12 site 2gl DWC for when im ready to go there, but i definitely want to run your style at least once or twice. i think in hydro anywhere that you can add passive airflow will give some manner of benefit BUT theres still the factor of moving parts (its not a big deal but you still want to try and decrease the need where you can IMO)

also i noticed on pg2 that someone had mentioned that it wasnt a true "hempy" style grow but the medium mixture is hempy none the less, and traditional hempy style or no, the fact that you added at least an entire week to what is supposedly a every 2-3 day watering process speaks volumes of how effective what your doing is. its actually better than the hempy style of growing imo

really dont know why ppl love to constantly water these things so much, i always thought that when you grow cannabis you were supposed to decrease the time that you spend at the grow site/area best you can, and eliminate as many moving parts as well.

anyway, i think that this style more resembles a combination of "hempy" and "emily's garden" (if that is in fact the actual name). its pretty much hydro but you are supposed to have the plant pots in a rez tray and an airstone in the rez.

the hempy mixture is awesome because its a soilless medium/mixture with damn near the same benefits/characteristics as soil. complete downside to hempy is aaaall that time spent constantly watering, i dont know about you or anyone else but i aint got that kinda time.

i like what your doing and where your going with it, stick with it and this one will DEFINITELY catch on!!! just a couple more additions/subtractions via brainstorming that could get it just right and eventually be a complete/full proof grow style that you can claim . . . hell, it may be just right the way it is!!

i dont mind popping a couple holes in my 2gl DWC buckets (that i could cover back up with black duct tape), some trays that i could cover, and give this a whirl on a grandiose scale, say 12 - 16 sites?
woudl truly need that float valve

if you use HESI you dont need to check the PH , I have seen some videos with HESI and they say is not necesary to check it , i never use it , but in appropiate future i will give it a try , your girls look awsome

keep it safe!

dudin

@friend dont go cutting a nice fully functional dwc. The parts to this one is under 20$ probably could find it even cheaper. Go with one and see how it stands against your other.
This is the first grow and I dont know if it works a full cycle. Also remember that I only vegged for 14days. Dont know how it works with a long vegg time.
Got my ass spanked in the hempy thread for calling it a hempy. If I would add anything it would be a bigger pump. My next run I will use a dimmable 4 outlet pump. If I remember correct 700L/h.
Love dimmable things just makes it so much easier.
Looked at the em garden and yes it looks like the same basic idea. Nice one.

@frun didnt know that about hesi. Works like a charm.

@jay hell yeah. I am stoked. Maintenance is close to zero.

FRIENDinDEED

Veteran
@friend dont go cutting a nice fully functional dwc. The parts to this one is under 20$ probably could find it even cheaper. Go with one and see how it stands against your other.
This is the first grow and I dont know if it works a full cycle. Also remember that I only vegged for 14days. Dont know how it works with a long vegg time.
Got my ass spanked in the hempy thread for calling it a hempy. If I would add anything it would be a bigger pump. My next run I will use a dimmable 4 outlet pump. If I remember correct 700L/h.
Love dimmable things just makes it so much easier.
Looked at the em garden and yes it looks like the same basic idea. Nice one.

@frun didnt know that about hesi. Works like a charm.

@jay hell yeah. I am stoked. Maintenance is close to zero.

only problem ive ever had is being indecisive about what particular style of grow to choose to stick with, and that constant testing, buying supplies and researching has led me to one basic principle:

plants need amounts of air/light/wind/water and those amounts have to jive harmoniously.

people who "swear" by any one style/technique or argue about it/over it are narrow minded IMO. choosing a grow style is done by what fits who you are and what your about. most of the arguments on here are seriously pointless to say the least.

you've got all the right things working in harmony and very well, and your technique is a pure example of the principle i believe in about growing.

and dont worry about it, that hempy thread is full of those 47% romney was talking about, to have all that time to be watering plants like that! roflmao. watering every 2-3 days?! please, that style of growing was waiting for an upgrade and you just did it!

dudin

@friend totally agree with your principles.

Would love to tend my garden every day but thats not possible. Fuck I work have a family and dont even have access to it so then the option is to quit or adapt.

Said from the beginning that its a experiment and it still is. Have a couple of bad ones up my sleeve but this is working really nice.
Trying out new things is fun. The added air was not my idea but it was a great advice.