What's new

Hydro bucket (hempy with extra reservoir)

dudin

Okidoki but then maybe a small airpump or something might be a good idea. Someone already metioned that.
Thanks for the heads up.

St3ve

a small air pump is not necessary with that shallow of water.. plus I always try and save electricity whenever possible. Just having a fan blow across it while its already on blowing the plants is plenty good enough. Plus one more thing to NOT have to spend money on that will eventually need to be replaced.

The buckets are just plain 5L 1$ buckets with 10 holes drilled in the side and in the bottom. Filled with 3parts perlite and 1 part vermikulit.

View Image

This is nothing like a hempy bucket. This is like sticking regular plant pots in an external rez. No resemblance to a Hempy bucket at all imo. Sorry.

Also I think your plants look over watered. Are they sat in water 24/7?

dudin

This is nothing like a hempy bucket. This is like sticking regular plant pots in an external rez. No resemblance to a Hempy bucket at all imo. Sorry.

Also I think your plants look over watered. Are they sat in water 24/7?

Ok. The hempy really is a holy cow it seems. You dont think it looks/works like hempy at all ok. Noted. And thank you for pointing out the obvious also thanks for the great input.
Yes they are sitting in water 24/7. The water is just 3-5cm deep.

Just bought a tiny airpump 50L/h. Hope it works.

dudin

Do something very similar,

Big net pots (8") sit on bottom of my rez (2 gallon).
filled with hydroton

air lines fit into the bottom of net pot. (cant be removed)
AND NO AIRSTONES ! never again!

works wonders. plants love it!
less likely to tip over vs using small net pots.

Sharing is beautiful. To be on the safe side I stole your idea. Inserted one air tube at the bottom to each bucket.
The airpump is just a 3w 50L/h, so 25L each. Hope it speeds growth a bit.
Now I can agree with the critics. Its not a hempy.

St3ve

with the airpumps its give and take. It does add o2 to the water and roots but it also adds heat.. which isn't good. Just keep an eye on it.

St3ve

and FYI I use oversized drip pans under each of my plants that holds 4" deep of water, I sometimes top it off everyday, and I've never had rot or any problems with not aerating it.

dudin

with the airpumps its give and take. It does add o2 to the water and roots but it also adds heat.. which isn't good. Just keep an eye on it.
I have strange growing conditions so the added heat is not a problem. At night it can drop to 15c and daytime its 25-28 c depending on the weather. The extra heat is just a +.

real ting

That's a nice simple setup you got going. You could change them to a ppk style by just raising the pots a little and adding a wick, either microfiber or a media wick in a tailpiece like D9 does. The benefit would be it would lower the perched water table, allowing your plants to use more of the rooting space in the pots.

dudin

@ Real_Thing Looked att the ppk and it looks interesting but i think the pump did solve the problem for me this time. Will have it in mind when I plan my next grow.
2i0uous.jpg

2v10jkk.jpg

dudin

The strech is about to end soon i think and I´m happy about that. Cant see my gilrs until monday so keep your fingers crossed.
38pkg.jpg

2ppg008.jpg

zeke99

Ok here is my passiv hydro setup. I think its a hempy but some didnt so I run it in a new thread.
I have some hempy experience and I really like the result of it. At my new location i sometimes need to leave it for longer periods so i modified the hempy bucket to a extended reservoir hempy.

I love the creativity, but urge all passive hydro growers to try this:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=5232882#post5232882

The results will be like nothing they have seen before.

ghostly

Have you noticed if the added air in the root zone helped? I added airstones to my top drip and that 'dead zone' of water at the bottom of the 5g buckets turned into a vigous rootball! SSPX0843
Couldn't find the rootball picture... But
even if it's just a small bit of water, I say add air!

Good luck

dudin

@zeke do you mean ppk or vert. Both are interesting. But I need to keep it "fail proof" and must be able to leave it 4-5days. When I can tend my garden every day I will go vert.

@ghostly Well they exploded. Hard to tell if it was the stretch that kicked in or if it was the added air, probably a combination. This is a cheap simple setup and now with extra air it works ok. If I did a traditional hempy I still would put some air straight to the roots.

Latest posts

Latest posts