What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hyb's Subterfuge#1

Actually, I may be wrong...:biggrin:

They don't show the usual preflowers and the buds look a little weird. The male definitely looks "different" and its definitely male. But the big one may just be less developed. Still no pistils in sight...

G

Lost my original auto bastard to wildlife. Put it back in soil after being dug up and damaged. Flowered out of shock as a very small plant. Was amazed by the smell of the little purple bud. It was like a fruity candy smell. Put in a replacement plant and can definitely say auto bastard grows far more vigorously than site 4 abc

teide

Veteran
Sorry to hear that, liltree. too bad it turned out tiny. Still growing it, or have you tossed it? I am still waiting for the very first smoke report of auto bastard here on icmag.
Nice to hear the slowness is bred out. Colors and aroma of buds seems also possible to alter by outcrossing, so good news after all.

How is you subt1 going, Holderchert? Three weeks since last post, are they both male?

hellfire

Do you guys have any Subt #1 crosses planned? Or inbreeding?

Keeping an eye on this one, definitely some wild looking plants.

teide

Veteran
I have four humboldt csi c99 x abc f1s going atm. Hoping to get a c99 aroma and effect in the abc.
Also crossing abc with auto jack herer by LBH, and cinderella jack by DP, working the abc to auto.

I also want a landrace cross. Haze or SEA. When I get subt1 pollen, I will dust my ACE Thai Chi and drGrinspoon. Long flowering strains by themselves. With subt1 also being very slow growing, I wonder about the outcome of that combination..

Sava

Subt#1 male i ended up with, was very branchy and bushy. No one will ever said it is cannabis plant. Collected flowering branches and now it is drying. I think a quicker pheno of Subt#1 can mature here at 55N in greenhouse. Sorry but i had no Subt#1 female

ABC Site4 Start to flower a month later than Subt1. But it's overall structure is close to Subt...
Here are few pics of yesterday

ABC Female

As you can see it just started to flower and no chance to mature outdoor. But...if it will, the yield could be potentially reasonable.

Male plant

teide

Veteran
They both look nice, Sava! I would really like to have red stem phenos. Is the stem of the subt1 true red, or just looks like it in the photo? Are there red stem phenos in regular abc?
I like the fact that subt1 has one month earlier flower, that's substantial.
Do you feel the leaves are bigger in Subt1? I think that was one of hyb's goals, but in the photos they look the same.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Subbed, I had heard that hyb had given up on this line, glad to see he didnt

Sava

Hi Teide, both Subt males i had in greenhouse was green. No purple in it from start to end. I ve pulled off one because it was poorer in structure and starts to flower about 2 weeks later.

On the pictures is ABC site 4 male. It has purple stem since early veg and now became even darker because of night temp drops.
ABC female is green and only showed some purple as a defficiency wich was treated by adding more nutes.

Subt1 ive collecting pollen from has noticably bigger leaves than ABC. But the male i've pulled off has the same sized leaves.

teide

Veteran
Ok, my mistake, Sava, I thought the male in the last photos was Subt1and the female was abc.
Will you pollenate the site4 with the harvested subt pollen? If you have no more subt seeds and got no females.
I wonder what is the best way, dusting the abc and get 100% abc leaves in the progeny. Then selecting for potency, as the abc most likely lowers it.
Or use the pollen on a non-abc and get even higher potency. Then select leaves in f2.
My vote is for an outcross!

Last edited:

Sava

Subt# leaf vs ABC (green)

Subterfuge male....i do cutting branches with flowers from it and collecting pollen for future projects. Today i cut off...i think 90 percent of it and look how many remained...Absolutely amazing plant. I hope ill get females next time.

G

Thanks for sharing!

Did the sub grow faster than the heirloom 'site 4' ABC? Which ended out the biggest?
I've noticed that the fastest growing ABC's have larger leaves. Although I personally prefer the looks of the mini leaves. Did you find anything similar?
Auto bastard 1.0 has large leaves.

Sava

Liltree, my Subt grew faster, but it was in greenhouse and ABC plants were planted outdoor without much attention to them, so comparison from this pov would'nt be correct

G

Auto Bastard 1.0

Really enjoying this little plant. Got a few weeks left to bulk up. Smells great, got a sweet candy funk going on and very resinous.

Would definitely not grow for yield, the mutation + auto gene results in a small plant. In saying that I love it and have big plans for breeding.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201105-210510~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20201105-210510~2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 63

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Has anyone else run into germination issues with the Subterfuge1 and Autobastard?

0 of 15 Subterfuge1 seeds popped.

Started 5 sets of 3 seeds using different methods;
straight to soil
soak in water overnight then put in soil
paper towel
freeze 24hrs then to soil
freeze 24hrs, soak overnight, then to soil

and not a single tail.

Autobastard is starting to look the same, 0 of 3 so far.

G

Only about 70% success rate for me. Sucks when each pack costs as much as they do

Greatdalas

The same thing happened to me, I still have some seeds saved, they are curious plants but don't expect tasty marijuana, it smells like herbal lemon

Sava

blynx, yes, the germination rate of Subt1 was below average with mine seeds. i have also found that they takes more time to germinate.
I have no isues with Autobastard...my bud, who i gave remained pack said all AB seeds popped and growing.
I ve asked Hyb about Subt germination rate and here is what he answered:

'Bastard' seeds are a little less energetic than regular seeds, for sure. They will also grow SLOWER than you are used to, due to the mutation of the foliage.

There are some germination procedures I recommend, so you'll get more plants.

Place potting mix into cell trays, place ONE SEED PER CELL, and cover with 1/2" of potting mix. Water gently but thoroughly. USE A SPRAY BOTTLE EVERY DAY OR TWO, misting the soil surface. Make sure you do not have any fungus gnats in the grow space. They LOVE germinating seeds as much as YOU do. ;) Keep the seeds moist for 2 weeks, with no interruption. The sprayer also provides high Oxygen

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
blynx, yes, the germination rate of Subt1 was below average with mine seeds. i have also found that they takes more time to germinate.
I have no isues with Autobastard...my bud, who i gave remained pack said all AB seeds popped and growing.
I ve asked Hyb about Subt germination rate and here is what he answered:

Yea it appears all the freaks grow slow. Freakshow is the same way. Slow to germ, slow veg. Freakshow cross F2 non-freaks germinated normally, the Freakshow cross F2 freaks took longer to germinate and grow slower.

Even tho I didn't see any tails pop from the methods I tried with the Subt1 , I did put all the seeds into soil and have been keeping the soil moist. It's been almost three weeks since first batch of three went into soil, the rest were staggered after. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

One AB did break soil and took almost two days to get the seed coat off. Cotyledons still haven't opened.