What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hush's micro LED grow - Sadhu

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I don't think I've ever talked about my drying or curing methods. But I generally keep it simple. I hang the entire branches from lines strung up in the grow closet, with all their fan leaves removed. There is plenty of airflow in there and it takes about 6 days usually to get to the point where I move them to jars. All that matters is that the individual nugs can be instantly snapped off the main branch. The main branch itself will not snap at this point. If the main branch snaps, you've waited too long.

So once they're ready I take them off the lines, pluck all the nugs off the branches until I get to the contiguous, top cola buds. Then they go into mason jars, still unmanicured, to begin curing. I let them cure for about a week, with frequent airing out of the jar(s), then I take them out and manicure. At this point, the manicuring is easy. I just put on some latex gloves and go through each individual bud by hand, never even using any scissors or trimmers. Just plucking and pulling, occasionally rubbing hash snakes off my gloves.

After manicured, I put them back in jars and make sure they are filling the jars entirely, with very little air gap above the buds. I then open the jars once a day until they get to a point that I can't really describe in words... I just know when it's there. It's when they just let you know there is maximum moisture dispersion and opening the jars will no longer do anything beneficial. This is when I vacuum seal them and put them away for later...

:)

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
Hush you seem to have drying/curing down to an art

Hush you seem to have drying/curing down to an art

But here's some science that has helped me. Where I live the RH and temps change moderately for most of the year until fall/winter when I get down to the business of harvesting, drying and curing. Then things go crazy for 6 months.

This is the thread that helped me figure it all out:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=156237

I have 6 of these units and I typically use one to monitor atmospheric conditions when I have plants hanging and the rest go in the paper bags or jars to monitor drying progress as it happens.

If your weather fluctuates then these instruments will assist you in keeping your harvest in the best possible shape for long term storage and smokage :biggrin:.

I have 8 different strains in jars of 3 years old flowers and they are all awesome at this point. It's almost like a wine tasting some weekends as we sample the jars.

Note: after the seal of the jar is opened once, I replace the inner seal of the lid assembly with a new one. Once they get cranked down tight they seal well but once you open it, the seal is compromised in my opinion so replacing the flat piece is cheap and insures the quality of the buds in the jar for the long term.

Once I open the jar after long term storage, I replace the lid insert after 5-6 openings if the contents happen to last that long.....