What's new

hush's Kush x NL grow show - LED - 2x2 tent

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I just fed the plants for the first time with their new food, CNS17 Grow. I'll be feeding them with that line, and a few additives. I attempted to lower the light the other day, then after a day went by I noticed that 2 of the plants went into a droopy shock, so I raised the light again. I guess this thing is bright! So yeah it's back up to like 2 feet above the plants.

Pics from today:

vrhvLqf.jpg

2pscG2K.jpg

Vsjpn3R.jpg

Here are those 2 plants that cowered from the light:

c2HB94J.jpg

1y2CPWy.jpg

Hmmm. THATS when you start feeding your plants?!? That explains a lot of my problems...about what strength ferts are u applying at this stage?

biggoron

Have a 200w led in a 2x2 tent as well. LED makes the most sense at this scale and I'm subbed to see how you get along.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
In a hydroponic grow like this, yes you have to start feeding young. Coco has no nutrients in it. It's not like soil, even if it looks like it. I'm feeding a weak mix for the first week then going up to a "normal" level the following weeks.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I propped up the ones that flopped with some coat hanger wire. Everything's fine. Things are looking good, and the plants are still growing!

O9pcJ6V.jpg

wimImve.jpg

DVmhHQE.jpg

Xh2t0Db.jpg

talktosamson

Veteran
Love this grow, I have a 2x4 space I've been thinking about switching to LED. If your yeild
Is good, I probably will switch. :)

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
those things are speeding H what day is this ?

Day 8 from being planted, day 11 from cracking. :tiphat:

Love this grow, I have a 2x4 space I've been thinking about switching to LED. If your yeild
Is good, I probably will switch. :)

Thanks man! Yeah if the yield is good, I might consider replacing my 1000 just so that I can have a room filled with shelves of LEDs. I believe the quality and quantity would exceed that of a 1000w HID, and still use the same if not less wattage. Plus, I could have multiple strains and still garden like I'm monocropping. Also, I could run perpetually a lot more efficiently.

I'm totally envisioning a room with banks of LED lighting on shelves against the wall. Maybe about 6 gardens, each about 2x2 feet. Each garden bringing in about 5 to 6 ounces each for an average total yield of about 30 to 36 ounces in a space previously harvesting only about a pound a time.

I've been daydreaming lately...

Damn hush! Sure can't wait til i get shit dialed in the way u do. By my 11th day I'm usually administering CPR and trying to figure out what went wrong. Lol ...guess experience goes a long way.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Experience is helpful... but the real trick is just keeping things simple.

Way back in the beginning for me I made things too complicated. The best thing I learned for myself was to eliminate variables wherever possible. For me, that meant no more using soil with organics in it, and only using inert media. That led me into hydroponics, which helped me out immensely. It forces you not to cut any corners, thus eliminating further variables here and there. You can't cross your fingers and hope your pH is good... you have to actually test it and adjust it as necessary. Then you have to resist the urge to go with the most hyped up nutrient lines with all their additives. Just go with tried and true formula, like the GH flora or floranova series. Or a good one-part like Maxibloom or Jack's.

Right now, in this garden, I have things extremely simple, which is why the plants look so good for such a young age. It's by OVERdoing things that we usually screw up, not underdoing them. I learned this in other hobbies, too, not just this one. It happens frequently in aquarium-keeping: people kill their fish because they feed too much, or change too much water, or too frequently.. it's always things being done too much instead of not enough. So, to get things to where they are now in this garden, all I did was exactly this:

1. Plant seeds directly into starter plugs and put the plugs into the inserts (so they stand up).
  2. Put the inserts into one of those cheap little seedstarting, self-watering "greenhouses" they sell in the garden section at big box stores (mine is by Jiffy).
  3. Put the mini greenhouse with lid on under a single CFL and don't touch it until the seedlings have popped up.
  4. Still don't bother the seedlings even after they've popped unless they haven't automatically shed their seed husk on their own, in which case, gently remove it for them.
  5. After they have already grown out their first set of true leaves (not the cotyledons) you can remove the lid from the greenhouse and leave alone for another 24 hours or so.
  6. Take the entire starter plug and plant it in containers filled with an inert, tried-and-true soilless medium, like Pro Mix or coco (my current favorite).
  7. Water the containers until you get runoff, and only use pH-corrected tap water, no nutrients.
  8. Place them in proper environment with appropriate climate controls and lighting. Leave them alone.
  9. After they grow their 3rd set of true leaves, feed them with a dilute mix of a tried-and-true, COMPLETE nutrient mix. In this case I've gone with CNS17 for coco. I didn't even add any additives yet.

That leads me to the present day. I haven't even given them their next feeding yet, but I will increase the dosage every feeding until I see the beginnings of burn on the leaf tips, and then I will back off to the previously-used dosage, before the burn occurred. The real tricks here are simply using inert media and a complete nutrient mix that uses the least amount of bottles possible.

I hope that helps at all. It is as basic as it gets, and it works for me, 100% of the time.

Hush. do u let ur tap water sit out for 24 hrs like i hear a lot of people recommend?? I think ur right about the keeping it simple being key....I feel like I'm trying to make the plant grow instead of letting it grow...trying all different kinds of mediums/nutes/magic potions (even considered just putting cash in my res and seeing what would happen lol) will definitely take your advice and try to simplify and eliminate some variables. Hopefully I can manage to save my ghs slh seedlings. Thanks for all of your help and posting details on what works for you. Your plants are looking great btw.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Hush. do u let ur tap water sit out for 24 hrs like i hear a lot of people recommend??

No, actually. I've never let my tap water sit. Ever. I'm pretty sure that the only reason why people do this at all is to attempt to offgass any chlorine in the water supply. But most municipalities use chloramines instead of chlorine, and those don't offgas like chlorine does. So it's actually pointless to let water sit, if that's the reasoning anyway. But ultimately, the only reason to let the chlorine offgas, provided you already knew there were no chloramines in your water supply, would be because you are growing organically and the chlorine might kill your microbial colonies. For those of us who grow hydroponically, a little chlorine is actually a good thing because it keeps microbes from establishing colonies, which you don't want in a hydroponic setup.

Chlorine is actually a required element for plant growth. ;)

jump /injack

Veteran
Hush, on that other grow with Peak's Sweet Skunk do you know if that is the same as Island Sweet Skunk? I've grown most of the old Peaks line up, glad to see your doing a grow on his Kush X Northern Lights, that'll be next. Nice set up, those lights are the way to go, such a simple, clean grow. Here for the trip.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
It's related. MJ from Peak is on record stating that the original mom is an ISS. I believe it's ISS x Sk#1 but I'm not exactly sure so don't quote me on that. All I know is Peak used to call the strain Skunk and then they added the Sweet to reflect the ISS parentage. At least I think that's the story.

:tiphat:

Hush. Do the led lights seem to make the buds more dense? I have only used cfl's and the buds seem kinda airy...guess it could just be the random badgseed genetics.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I have always used CFLs and never experienced my buds being airy from them... So I'm guessing that is just a characteristic of your bagseed genetics. Or, maybe your CFLs are a little too far away from the plants? But to answer your question, in my experience, LED lighting doesn't really change the denseness of buds of any of the strains I grow. That seems to stay the same whether CFL, HID, or LED.

:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts