What's new

hush grows up! 1000w MH/HPS in 4x4 tent

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Picture from this morning:

IMG207_zpse379c5ad.jpg

The plants are now showing me noticeable growth every day. I've been feeding with FloraNova grow, 5mL per gallon. I'm now debating whether I should top them or LST them. I don't normally top, but I was thinking maybe when growing such large plants that maybe topping promotes stronger, thicker stalk?

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
So, I installed a drip manifold today, along with a 35 gal reservoir, in order to automate my setup. After getting the spaghetti tubing in place and securing everything, I decided to test the system.

I manually started the pump and let the water run for exactly 60 seconds, then unplugged the pump. I couldn't help but notice how even though the pump was off there was still a good stream of water coming out of the tubing, and it took a little while to slow down to a trickle. I knew something wasn't right, but it was time for dinner.

Immediately after dinner, a half hour or so later, I checked on the buckets, and they were completely overflowing, submerged in nutrient water, and the reservoir was almost empty. Only then did it dawn on me what happened, and how stupid I should feel... The reservoir is higher than the buckets, and a siphon was created while the pump was on.

I had to clean up a huge mess, which I'm still in the middle of, and now of course I'll have to whip up another batch of nutes. I also took care of the problem by puncturing a hole in the 1/2 inch tubing, just above the water line in the reservoir, to act as an anti-siphon valve. I tested it out by turning on the pump for 5 seconds, then off again. Sure enough, that fixed that. Now, when the pump is turned off, the streams of water into the buckets stop immediately afterward. There is no trickle or anything... They are streaming water, then they stop, lol.

Sigh. What a dummy I am.

You can't learn without making a few mistakes now and then. Good thing you were smart enough to check it and able to find a fix for the problem.

P

PerroVerde

Good uncensored report hush. I hadn't thought of a siphon forming in that type of system but I will now. Thanks hush, it takes a bigger man to hold his short falls to the light then hide them... :)

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Thanks for the kind words, my friends. I just finished cleaning up the mess tonight. I was already smelling a mildewy smell coming off the mylar floor. So I took everything out, mopped up all the water, and wiped everything with bleach. After I put the plants back in the tent I increased the lighting to 750w. They are growing very well!

Here is a picture from tonight, where you can see the drip lines on a couple of the buckets:

IMG005_zps0e967c54.jpg

Feijao

Sweet little setup Hush. I would put a T in the end of each of those feed lines so that your plants can get watered on both sides. I run 2 feed lines per and T those so that I can get 4 spots wet.

P

PerroVerde

Or put in a T and make your own mini hydro hoops by cutting notches or poking holes in the circle you made with the drip line... :)

P

PerroVerde

I can't wait to see those branches become tops. I love Mandalas genetics and how sturdy the branching is on there plants... :)

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I always thought that with hempy buckets it doesn't matter if the water enters by one stream? I guess I could put tees on them, or the hoop idea like Perro said. I just thought the wicking action of the perlite would even things out pretty good?

Anyway, I appreciate the help guys, always welcome!

I just LST'd the plants tonight:

IMG056_zps307c682c.jpg

Jhhnn

Veteran
Great move, hush. 1000W of HID is excellent for 16 sq ft, 62.5W per sq ft, to be exact. With everything else dialed in, growth & yield will be fantastic, even with tropical sativas. When the clones are firmly rooted, go ahead- turn it up! With heat tolerant Mandala genetics, warm temps in veg just give better growth.

You'll never go back to a lesser setup if you can help it. It's like high noon in the Imperial Valley, not a cloud in the sky for as many hours a day as you want. You'll have plenty of top shelf stash if everything else goes well!

P

PerroVerde

My only thought is with even watering around the root ball may encourage a better fresh O2 exchange rate in those large buckets. We know Mandala plants have some massive root systems when established so give them juice all the way around... :) lol Just a thought

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Well I don't see how it can hurt to go ahead and adjust for this, so that is what I shall do. Making those drip rings is easy enough... I guess that's the route I will take. I'll do that this weekend. Thanks, to those of you who suggested this. :)

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Jhnn, your post makes me grin from ear to ear with anticipation and excitement... Thank you for that! :)