What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hush did a gardening

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Here's the after:

q24d1QF.jpg

It's just a bunch of tucking. I don't clip leaves if I don't have to. When they start dying on their own I remove them. But otherwise, it's just tucking. Then of course, I'm repositioning branches. But I never weave them through the screen. Just pull em down from below and pop em up somewhere else. In this after photo, notice how the leaves have pretty much all been tucked under the screen. They'll still process light, but they're out of the way. Then it's a matter of trying to flatten the canopy as much as possible.

Then repeat.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I was having some issues with the screen warping, due to it being too big, essentially. So I shaved the screen down a little bit and stretched it taut. I think that should help out with holding branches better. Pics later.

Iamnumber

Hi, Few questions to double check that I have understood things correctly.

You have four main branches going out towards each corner.
The lower left corner branch seemed to grow bit longer and faster than rest so you turned it to grow towards upper left corner ?? (to occupy the space left of the plant). Right?

Did you do more redirecting of the main branches (towards vacant space) or did you just let them turn up when they reached the corner?

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi hush,

I apologize for my absence, i had my hand injured and i'm trying to catch up all the threads now that i have just started to be able to type again.

I think you did a wise move to choose to SCROG a single plant and strain, it will be easier to keep the grow under control regarding size, and your latest updates seem to confirm it ;)
The Panama has filled up nicely all the growing space ... try to feed her abundantly, Panama likes to face the flowering stage with a full stomach.

Hopefully you can explore the Golden Tigers in your next cycle, she is much easy to handle from clones.

Best wishes for the rest of the flowering! :)

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Hi, Few questions to double check that I have understood things correctly.

You have four main branches going out towards each corner.
The lower left corner branch seemed to grow bit longer and faster than rest so you turned it to grow towards upper left corner ?? (to occupy the space left of the plant). Right?

Did you do more redirecting of the main branches (towards vacant space) or did you just let them turn up when they reached the corner?

Yes, I'm always redirecting toward empty space. I don't particularly want to let them grow upward once they reach the edge of the screen, if they are still in stretch mode, because that will lead to some buds being taller than others. The idea is to try to keep every growth tip at the same level. So when I get to the edge of the screen, I try rerouting in a different direction. Sometimes, I can pull an entire branch downward and reposition several growth tips all at once, if needed. It just requires patience.

The beauty of the SCROG method is that you can crisscross branches if necessary, you can spiral them around the screen many times, you can even just pull most of a branch downward from below to even out bud heights. It's a very forgiving method. It's just tedious, and requires a lot of attention. I like putting on podcasts while I work. Makes it more meditative.

:tiphat:

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Hi hush,

I apologize for my absence, i had my hand injured and i'm trying to catch up all the threads now that i have just started to be able to type again.

I think you did a wise move to choose to SCROG a single plant and strain, it will be easier to keep the grow under control regarding size, and your latest updates seem to confirm it ;)
The Panama has filled up nicely all the growing space ... try to feed her abundantly, Panama likes to face the flowering stage with a full stomach.

Hopefully you can explore the Golden Tigers in your next cycle, she is much easy to handle from clones.

Best wishes for the rest of the flowering! :)

Glad to hear from you, amigo. I heard about your injury, so no worries. I'm glad you're on the mend now! I did miss you though, and wished you could have commented on a few things here and there, but you had a pretty good excuse for not being around, so we'll let it slide. :biggrin:

Yes, I feel like doing a single plant scrog was definitely the best idea for this round, and I think it has worked out quite well. I don't normally SCROG such old plants, though, like this one was. That was a new experiment for me. Worked out okay, but the branches are woody and tougher than younger plants are, so there have been some minor issues. Also, the plant didn't stretch as much as I had expected it to, so the screen won't be entirely filled, but that's okay too.

Soon as this grow is harvested, I'll be putting one of the GT clones in there and doing the SCROG method right from the very beginning. It's just easier that way, rather than growing a plant upward, then topping to get 4 main tops, then supercropping all 4 of those tops, laying the branches flat, and building the SCROG from there.

But it was a fun, and successful, experiment.

SolarLogos

Hush, I can't believe it was barely 3 weeks ago you had the metal divider from your dog cage training them (great idea) and now this? One of the best scrogs I've seen on a single plant. I learn a lot from reading your posts. Thanks very much my friend.
Peace, God bless

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Wow, what a canopy! Hush, how would you do a SCROG setup with a low stretch plant that was on the Indica side of things? Would you train it the same way as this or if not, how would the techniques be different?

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Wow, what a canopy! Hush, how would you do a SCROG setup with a low stretch plant that was on the Indica side of things? Would you train it the same way as this or if not, how would the techniques be different?

First, you have to accept that there are some plants that just don't do well in a SCROG setup, and when you know that ahead of time it's probably better to use some other techniques... but that said, if I were going to try it out (and I have done this with stretchless indica dom plants before) I would actually veg the plant for a long time, allowing the screen to be filled before I even flipped to flowering. Some plants don't stretch at all, and/or the internodes don't get wider, so in these cases I would actually fill the screen and let the growth tips come up several inches before flipping.

In practice, this might end up taking way too long, and I might think to myself that next time I would just grow out bushes, or try out some light LST, or maybe even go for a dense SOG, because time is money, and when it takes longer to prepare the screen than the actual flowering time of the plant, that's something to consider.

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
Great thread hush.
Your scrog skills are impecable, i´m sure that lady is going to give plenty of love back to you.
Thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Latest posts