What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hush did a gardening

YukonKronic

Well, I haven't made a decision yet, and that sucks. I'm feeling paralyzed about the choice for some reason. I was hoping to get more suggestions or feedback, but in the absence of that, I guess I will resort to intuition (never lets me down).

Sooooo, in thinking about all of this, I was staring at all 4 plants, and realizing that the "twins" definitely do look like twins of each other. They are definitely of a same or similar phenotype expression. So then I looked at the other two plants and wondered what, if anything, they had in common. And it finally jumped out at me... they both have wider leaves. Even as different as the leaner and tall pheno are, their fan leaves look practically the same. So now that I'm seeing this, it all seems conclusive that the leaner pheno and the tall pheno are Malawi expressions, while the twins are Thai expressions. Having never grown genetics of either origin before, I have been going into it blind. But yeah, now I see that the fan leaves are an obvious characteristic of difference.

What this means is that I suspect that my "tall" pheno is a typical representation of the Malawi-leaning side of this hybrid, and that my "twin" phenos are a typical representation of the Thai-leaning side of things. That's a very basic, intuitive assessment, but it's all I've got.

Now, I also suspect that there is a difference between my two twin phenos, mainly because one was the first of the four plants to show her preflowers, and the other still hasn't shown any preflowers, even as I type this. So I suspect that means one will be a longer-flowering variety (and could technically even be a male, still). But other than that, the twins still look pretty much identical, with the known-female having a slightly nicer, branchier structure.

Seeing as how I still don't know the sex of the tall [Malawi] pheno, and seeing as how the creeping [Malawi] pheno looks like it will be a relatively low yielder, I guess I'll go with the known female of the twin [Thai] phenos. And honestly, that one and the tall one are the two plants that look the most gorgeous, so that works out for me.

All of that to say, I guess, that I'll put the remaining three in the mother cab, and I'll prune the selected one down to prepare her for the SCROG. I hope I'm making the best decision here, but at the end of the day, I don't expect any of these plants to suck, so there's that...

:biggrin:
You'll be just fine with that decision come harvest I'm pretty sure :dance013:

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Haha, that makes two of us then! It's gonna be even stranger because I'll be using the existing plant, rather than a fresh clone. It's a lot more vigorous at this stage than a young clone with few roots.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Haha. I honestly don't know. I'm still considering it. I'm just gonna flip a coin or something. :biggrin:

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Alright. The decision has been made.

pY65qAS.jpg

I thought about it, and ultimately the decision was cast in consideration of the Panama's loneliness. There's only one. And she's a female. And this way I can concentrate my efforts on all 4 of the GTs, giving them all their propers, rather than rushing through them. And I won't have to plant any additional seeds for some time, so that's nice. Anyway, I'm going to setup the mom cabinet now and get that going. I'm keeping the large plants alive for the moment, but their clones are rooted, and living life without a humidity dome for the past several days now, so it looks like they will be able to replace their former selves successfully.

So there it is. This is now a Panama grow out journal. Which is pretty cool because honestly that was the variety that drew me to Ace in the first place, many years ago. I'm only just now getting around to trying it out. Finally! The GTs will have their place in this thread in due time. I promise.

I trimmed the bottom branches away, and supercropped the main four. They were woodier than I was hoping for, so I did crack a few of them. They'll survive. Cannabis is tough as fuck.

M7WrpC6.jpg

Now I need to install a screen, which will happen after I get back from vacation, which is all next week. So while I'm gone, I'm just going to rest a heavy grid on the plant, to keep everything nice and low. I've done it before, and it buys some time before needing to install the screen. I use a partition that came with my dog's crate. I guess it's designed to split a crate into two so that two dogs can use it at once. But it actually works pretty well for this task.

So when I come back from vacation, I'll be removing the weight, installing a permanent SCROG screen, and let the tucking begin.

SolarLogos

Is that a pump and dump system? I've heard heard about them, but never seen one. Sounds like it might be a lot less work than what I go through in my room. I have one of those partitions that came with my dog's cage. The weight would actually be just right, not too light, not too heavy. Trains for a scrog until you can get your screen up. Brilliant idea!
Enjoy your vacation and hopefully, you can be somewhere that has some smoke. I recently spent some time in Mexico at a resort. When I got there, I went straight to the beach, spotted the guys that rent out the jet ski and paracell, pulled out a 20 and said start the bidding. All 4 of them tried to sell me their goods. I picked up some decent Mexican, still green, not bricked. I smoke a lot, so I ended up buying a 1/2 oz for

$40. I even smoked with the old guys that go around cleaning the beaches. I mailed the seeds back home, but they did not arrive. Next time, I will ship them DSL. It was upsetting because the seeds were huge. One seed in particular (I took a pic of) was the diameter of a cigarette! They told me it was the local smoke and the old guys said it was the same stuff they had been smoking most of their life and told me to expect about 6 months of flower. I really liked it a lot. We are going back soon and I really would love to have that strain to play around with and try cleaning up.
Have a pleasurable and safe vacation.
Peace, God bless

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Hey thanks. :tiphat:

Is that a pump and dump system? I've heard heard about them, but never seen one. Sounds like it might be a lot less work than what I go through in my room. I have one of those partitions that came with my dog's cage. The weight would actually be just right, not too light, not too heavy. Trains for a scrog until you can get your screen up. Brilliant idea!

I'm full of those, I just don't know how to capitalize on them. :biggrin:

I don't think I've ever heard the phrase "pump and dump" before, but it could work, I suppose. It's a flood and drain setup. Also known as ebb and flow. It's a recirculating hydroponics method. It's my favorite, for small scale gardens.

YukonKronic

Sweeeet that Panama looks awesome all spread out like that. I'm absolutely just as stoked for this as GT... maybe a little more so just because it's on my next to buy list.

Pretty sure Panama will be a decent analog for GT re: stretch and jungle psycho tryffyd vigour. Let the wrasslin begin!..... when you get back. Lol.
Safe and super fun trip brosef! I'm jealous... I need a vacation too.

Iamnumber

Can you elaborate (sorry if you talked about this already) I did follow more on GT as they seemed to be under more focus..

so.. .. I see four big branches starting at what seems like single point (?) .. or perhaps two points very close together (?).. did you FIM and got 4 way split or did you do two standard toppings?

It looks like super cropping (if I got my terms correct) .. crush the stem just enough to create a sharp bend .. then let it heal. Did you use any bracing to support the bend or pull down the tip? if you did.. can you elaborate on 'how' more?

I do understand that this is more about following up the grow .. but I am keen on learning about specifics.. so if you have time/ energy / etc. before and after pictures would be appreciated as would be info on Why you do something and why you do it at this point or what triggers the action in question. Also any specifics would be appreciated if you can describe .. such as how much crush or when it has been crushed enough on super cropping. I think I now have understanding on this (after said failures). so this more as an example of a spot where more info can benefit new growers.

I do understand that these things are trivial to you but ...

... devil is in the details .. I have managed to spoil few (chilies and basil) plants when I have tried some new techniques ..

Iamnumber

recap panama:

9-12-2018 .. 2 sets of leaves ( week? 10 days old? two week?) old. guessing 01-09 as seed germination start day.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] the Panama under 165w LED. I'll be using coco, in fabric pots[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]inch by inch rock wool cube.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9-24 panama with 2 sets of big leaves and 3rd set just pushing. (3 weeks)
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]10-17 panama shows pistils. (6 weeks)
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]24-10 panama standing tall and[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]27-10 panama super cropped and pruned. (8 weeks )
[/FONT]

YukonKronic

Supercropping is crushing the plants internal vascular structure to promote an area of scarification/tissue build up. This creates a strong point on plants stem to help hold later weight as well as the creation of additional vascular tissue within to transport nutrients. Supercropping can by used to slow down faster leads as well as to condition weak stems to hold large buds in late flower.

Just crush stem enough to make it crunch and get a little soft. Overdoing it can cause her to flop and then you gotta support it until it heals. A gentler method is to grasp stem above and below point you wish to supercrop and lightly twist in opposing directions until you feel/hear the stem tissues "pop" and the top spins past point of resistance. You can do it every day as long as plant continues to recover overnight. A little practice on less important branches and you'll get better at balancing how much to crunch so they don't just flop broken.. it's a useful technique and i have seen it help with weak/thin stems.

Edit: GT and many other sativas are VERY resilient to stem damage. More care is needed on smaller branches but as Hush has shown large stems can be "broken" and moved with a great deal of.... exuberance and still recover in a day or so. Indeed my GT and Zam plants are akin to Gumby in that I can pinch and bend a branch into most any position and it will stay put and grow there. I have SHARP bends in my SCROG where a branch has been doubled back on itself to fill a hole in the screen. Took a day and half for that branch to recover from wilting (I was ROUGH) and another day for it to growing vigorously again.

YukonKronic

Also I could be wrong but I think he topped normally it was just early enough that the plant still had really short internodes when topped and consequently looks fimmed. If your plant is very healthy it will have extremely short internodes until it gets past seedling and "adolescent" stage and begins "shooting" extremely vigourous vegetative growth.
Topping at between 4 and 8 inches or so of growth will typically get you a structure similar to Hushs Panama.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Yes! Better explained than I could have. Thanks, dude. And also, the shortness of the internodes is partially due to having started all of the plants under LED light. That makes a regular topped cut kind of look like a FIM cut. But all I did was remove all of the branches except for the main four, then the bondage began.

YukonKronic

Yes! Better explained than I could have. Thanks, dude. And also, the shortness of the internodes is partially due to having started all of the plants under LED light. That makes a regular topped cut kind of look like a FIM cut. But all I did was remove all of the branches except for the main four, then the bondage began.

Lol was going to mention LED too... I really like LED or CFL for early veg because they encourage such short internode spaces. I think it has to with ratio of infrared/heat to usable light on leaf surface. I.E there's more infrared from HID lighting causing plant to stretch for better airflow and cooling in what will eventually be thickest growth at bottom of plant where mould can spread from detritusphere.
Evolution is cool.

YukonKronic

I think if I start topping my sativa clones at transplant into flower box I can achieve more even growth and probably get a little closer to that homogenized screen we were talking about.. the loss of a few days growth is worth it when you consider the jungle I have now.

Next run I'm tryin 4 mains on each plant.

YukonKronic

She looks so sexy already! I'm thinking the last time I put a plant with as thick a mainstem into flower it gave me a monstrous yield... this is gonna be wicked kewl to watch :)