What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HUNTERS vs. YOUR CROP

• Thread starter Plant n Prosper
  • Start date

festerous

Veteran
ARGH! That's my only problem here, I don't know whether this one spot (my best location actually) is private or public land.

Is there anyway I can look up if a certain plot of a land is public or private that you know of? This is so frustrating!

There aren't any posted signs like I see EVERYWHERE else in the county, and the hunting posts/tire tracks in the forest bordering the swamp (my location) look very aged. The only thing is there are these bird-house type constructions in my swamp... which raises a flag because although they look old as well, a human had to put them there.

Take a look:
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=44373&pictureid=1047364&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=44373&pictureid=1047363&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=44373&pictureid=1047367&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=44373&pictureid=1047368&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=44373&pictureid=1047360&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Think those bird houses are too risky to plant near? My site would be in the distance on the far shore if there was any security risk involved, as I doubt hunters would treck through or around the swamp all the way to the other side.... but I would! muhuhaha

That trail looks as though it hasn't seen any use for quite the while hence the abundant growth of moss on the edge of the ruts. By late spring it will be overgrown and densely populated with black flies and such. This is simply an old logging road from the days of Budweiser and brickweed. The bird houses appear to be pre Northern Lights also.

Monitoring the local hunting forums is a good way to see what adjustments you need to make.

PuReKnOwLeDgE

Licensed Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't know about you but I always do and did my best work at night when everyone is tucked in tight. Way less of a chance running into anyone especially if you mind light and noise discipline. I always found spots via satellite images, I would look for the furthest point away from anything. A good half mile or so away from anything or anyone at least. Also stay far away from paths, whether you can tell if it is recently used or not. People always take the path of least resistance. So you should take the path with the most resistance without leaving a trail yourself. Running out trespassing in the daytime is high risk activity, if I seen you the first thing you would hear is the .45 or M4 going off into the air if you are lucky. Stay safe and good luck finding some killer spots and good luck this season! You have me reminiscing on my old gorilla days :)

S

Slip Kid

I was talking about this yesterday wth a friend who asked me about growing in the tree tops.When I was a kid I used to grow with 5gal buckets in the tops of huge spruce trees in southern Colorado only because the deer and elk were always eating my plants.Anyway long story short a hunter caught me coming down a tree one day.I jumped out of the tree, looked up and this big ol' dude was sitting there quiet as could be.He said he was walking by looking for elk( because Sept was muzzle loading season) and saw water pouring down the trunk of the tree...and I thought I was the only one who had ever set foot there!!I knew the main seasons for rifles start in Oct but I forgot about the bowhunters and muzzle loaders...Of course I never thought about the water leaking out of the bucket and down the tree.All the guy did was laugh and thought I was pretty dedicated to go so far to grow a plant.:) I ended up going back to NM and growing on private land.Hunters are everywhere and know all kinds of shit.I was just a youngster so I learned my lesson!! EDIT: There are places where the hunting sucks so I used to look for those spots.Like 50ft away from where the hunters all park! Serious.

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I follow game trails during the winter. In the summer, people won't find them. I've never had problems with deer eating my seedlings. Piss all over your perimeter in order to mark your territory; if you are a female, please find a male to mark your spot.

Be more worried about extracting your harvest..

R.Fortune

festerous

Veteran
I would plant/ replant a bunch of "briers and brambles at the trail head to discourage further trail use..

PuReKnOwLeDgE

Licensed Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I said in to the air, that's if they didn't pose a threat. Trespassers are fair game as far as I am concerned. Just be careful you never know who's land you are trespassing on. Not saying I am against it at all, done it plenty of times myself, also been on the wrong end of an ak before for trespassing where I shouldn't.

B

BasementGrower

another thing.. if u got an area thats hunters and other atvs nad shit in the area.. just dont be seen out there unless u need.. the less people see u out there.. the less they will think to themselves what are u doing..

iuno lately.. i just spark a conversation with people walking by.. and just ask them hey im out walkin my dog. was wondering if u knew any areas by here that quads and dirtbikes arent flying around.. id like to let my dog off leash but i dont want him to get hurt or ran over.

LOL i use the dog excuse and it works alot. never a problem. i know of 2 spots to use this season. for like 25 each huge trees.. now im lookin for smaller spots

A

Alone

Places like this are good if you run autos.
I wouldnt risk a strain thats out there for 5 or 6 months.
I guerilla grow on protected land where there is no fishing, hunting, hiking, dirtbiking, or tresspasing.
I just go at night with a green filter lense on my flashlight.
Dont leave a car on the side of the road either. Get dropped off and hike in.

As far as deer (my only nemesis), use clear 4lb mono fishing line around the bushes/trees at 3ft and 6ft.
This will deter a deer from trying to enter or jump over the perimeter. You can also put 4' green bamboo plant stakes in the ground in your garden and outside your garden to deter a deer from jumping in there. If it trys, it gets speared pretty good and you only get a few plants crushed or broken as it flees. Never had a deer try and jump the line.
Ive went ther and seen deer and a huge buck standing at the perimeter but they never made it in. It was DJShortsTrueBlueBerry and smelled delisceous.