What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HumboldtLocals Outdoor 2010

H

humboldtlocal

Rice straw is good. It doesn't leave seeds in your garden but it does make perfect mouse habitat. I know Planty has some good mousers but I don't.

P

planty

The kittys have brought 2 voles and a mouse to the door since the pots have been filled...they already know what time of year it is I guess. I'm going to line my garden with that DeerX 3/4" black nylon fence as well as the field fence..I may just use 2 layers of the Deer X and call it a day since my place is about to be on par with Fort Knox...I also am going to put mini cages out of chicken wire around the stalks of all my ladies as yet another layer of defense against the ratones.....Another tip Tom gave to me...

nomaad

Veteran
I had the best fucking mouser in el Honduragua... "ninja"... he was more scar tissue than cat by the time he didn't come home that one night. Fought and killed all sorts of shit and came back with the scars to prove it. The day we got him, because we had moved into a house with a mouse problem (as are most catless houses in the cloud forest), I put him in the fireplace where a baby mouse had sort of cornered itself. He assassinated it in a heartbeat. The infestation disappeared overnight. At the time Ninja was a tiny little kitten. But by the time we lost him on night ops, he was just riddled with scabs, wounds, scars and tears in his ears to the point that most people wouldn't touch him. He also had some sort of weird thing going on where it felt like his cheeks were filled with stryrofoam pellets. inexplicable. I'm not a cat person... but I loved that cat. While I never really liked cats, I have always been a huge fan of efficient killing machines. Ninja taught me to respect the position of a cat in the household. I cannot stand a cat that isn't a proper assassin.

OK... somehow ICM got my ONE cat story out of me. I just realized this wasn't my thread.

HorseMouth

My Maine Coon cat, Lucy, cornered and killed a bunny that had found it's way into my Greenhouse last year. I'll find a good pic of Lucy. She is typically under the Ganja canopy in the mid summer, that dirt is so cool under there, she loves it.

H

humboldtlocal

Since we are telling cat stories. My cat ran away this winter during a big storm. He was gone over a month. We hung up flyers around the neighborhood. He showed up looking pretty beat up but alive. Not that exciting but it was cool that he survived that long. Lets call it quits on the cat stories for now.:)

My cat brought us a baby bunny for Easter a couple years back. All the way up to the bedroom before we stopped her. That was an interesting touch.

Helluva hunter she was. I'm with you nomaad, I got a ton of respect for "hunting cats". They are a privilege to have.

Oh wait, this isn't the new kitty thread? :D

Peace,
sg

nomaad

Veteran
draft_lens2327471module12969907photo_1228861650lolcat2.gif

couldn't help myself.

G

Ganja D

Just finished mixing all the soil and amendments in all the 300 gal smart pots and other holes at Humboldtlocal's garden, just in time for the rain to soak em. It was a good day of hard work. Things are looking good, lot's more work to do.

And I like dogs better then cats.

G

Ganja D

How did you mix it all?

In a cement mixer or just with a shovel in each hole and/or container?

With a shovel and a lot of muscle. A cement mixer would have been too easy, no fun in that.
My motto to mixing soil is when a normal person would say "that's enough", that's when I'm almost halfway done.

osoloco69

With a shovel and a lot of muscle. A cement mixer would have been too easy, no fun in that.
My motto to mixing soil is when a normal person would say "that's enough", that's when I'm almost halfway done.

Have you ever tried mixing on a tarp and getting a few people to turn the soil on the tarp?

localhero

Mixing soil is a job. 300 gallon pots are probably what, a ton and change of soil each? Ganja D wins the golden shovel award.

Snype

Veteran
Shit's looking dope guys! That's pretty crazy about what the birds did. You guys are getting me really motivated to start doing outdoor. Good luck with all the work and I hope all goes as planned!

Stdane

Hi folks, sorry for the lack of updates. Been a little busy.:) Things are going great up here. The weather has been pretty hit or miss but things are rolling along nicely. We did have a pretty major set back that at the time seamed devastating but we have bounced back. A couple weeks back we got a heavy snow and a flock of birds made refuge in our greenhouse. They pecked the crap out of our seed starts. I have never seen anything like it. There was feathers and bird shit everywhere. All of the fan leaves were pecked off but the top growth was left untouched. This was about 400 starts and they were about six inches tall. We tightened up the greenhouse so nothing could get in and the girls have recovered nicely. I will of course wonder at the end of the season how well we would have done without this set back but it gives me some motivation for next year. It is always something. I had gotten past the slugs and the rodents and thought I was in the clear but I never thought I would have to look out for the birds. Anyone ever had a bird attack on their herb? Here is a pic right after the bird attack.
View attachment 54190

I've just startet 80 seeds in pellets and they were 2 inches high with the cotyls and 1st sets of leaves,when I put them out in the sunny weather,shouldn't have,when I came come from work that evening there was only a few left,the rest had been topped...only an inch of stalk left damn:cry:,I think they were short of nesting material,and my little ones were their favourite of the day...downside;among them was my last C-99's,Shark Shocks and Klitschkovs..last 2 fairly irreplaceable....but live and learn...next time dome and a machinegun-nest.Lol:pirate:
By the way followed yer grow last year...really inspirering,,,looking good this year too Humboldt.:tiphat:

H

humboldtlocal

Stdane, sorry to hear about your bird problems. That is terrible. I would have been devastated if I had lost some of my strains. I hope you can recover.
We are getting a ton of rain right now. There was a spot here in Humboldt that got over five inches in 24 hours.
Here is a shot of some of my OG clones moved out to one of my GH's with their supplemental light. Used the rainy weather to bump up some other clones today.
IMG00010-20100427-1748.jpg