What's new

Humboldt Natural Nutrients

SloWhite

SloWhite

RE: AN Tarantula

Apply only to the soil. Their advice at the web site indicates that using it as a foliar application will have benefits.

That's patently wrong. Period.

As CT Guy pointed out, the AN Tarantula is a rebrand of the product from Mycorrhizal Applications out of Grants Pass, Oregon. Head over to that web site to see how this product should be used and disregard the information at Advanced Nutrients.

HTH

CC

CC is right. If it's a mycorrhizal product it will do absolutely no good as a foliar application. In fact, multiple applications are a waste of time as well, as once the myco has formed a symbiotic relationship then you're done in regards to myco applications for the extent of your plant's life, barring abnormal circumstances.

Thanks for the info guys! Im going to read through the site in the above link. I held off on the feeding last night, the pot was a little heavy. As i water by how heavy the post feels, has been working out really good for me thus far. I think this time im going to skip the humboldt grow and hit them with the AN tea and a bit of Tarantula tonite, well see what happens...

Thanks again...

C

CT Guy

CT Guy

I have question about applying products like 'Tarantula' (only because I'm too lazy to look up the correct spelling of 'mycorrhazel' so here it goes.

Let's say that I take a rooted cutting and apply this product to the roots as limited as they may be. So I take a rooted cutting that is treated and grow it out for a few inches and then I transplant that rooted cutting (treated) and place it into a larger pot.

Does the original treatment extend to the next transplant or is it necessary to re-apply this product to the roots for the next generation of growing or is the original inoculation enough?

Thanks!

CC

My understanding is that the first application would be sufficient, even when transplanting, however since many of you are doing what I would consider "intensive growing" I would recommend a 2nd application when you transplant (along with some seaweed at that time). It's not going to hurt anything to add the mycorrhizae again and it may help with short term gains over the single application.

The website to check out is www.mycorrhizae.com

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
CT Guy

Thanks for the info. Generally I apply the product from Mycorrhizal Applications as a slurry of water with 1/4 strength Acadian Seaweed Extract. The rooted cuttings take off like crazy.

The folks at Mycorrizal Applications recommend adding 2-3 tsp. per 1 c.f. of potting soil. Then again they're recommending for commercial potting soil being mixed 10 yards at a time and more.

RE: Stupid Grow Store Products

I stumbled on a product called 'Humboldt Gravity' which retails for $49.99 per 1 quart. I looked at the label and here's what's in it: Seaweed extract, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3 - that's it.

$49.99 per quart. It's supposed to 'add weight and density' to flowers.

Heh..........

CC

Irie_Lion

Free up the Herbs....Let the Sacrament grow!
Veteran
CT Guy

Thanks for the info. Generally I apply the product from Mycorrhizal Applications as a slurry of water with 1/4 strength Acadian Seaweed Extract. The rooted cuttings take off like crazy.

The folks at Mycorrizal Applications recommend adding 2-3 tsp. per 1 c.f. of potting soil. Then again they're recommending for commercial potting soil being mixed 10 yards at a time and more.

RE: Stupid Grow Store Products

I stumbled on a product called 'Humboldt Gravity' which retails for $49.99 per 1 quart. I looked at the label and here's what's in it: Seaweed extract, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3 - that's it.

$49.99 per quart. It's supposed to 'add weight and density' to flowers.

Heh..........

CC

Hey funny u should mention that as I always see ppl on the boards saying to get it that its an awesome product etc...hehe so its just a lil b vitamins mixed with seaweed. Im sure that one can be made for less 50 cents a gallon like the other recipes/ingredients u posted as opposed to $200!!! yikes:jawdrop:. This thread should be an eye opener to those who are or thinkin about spending big $$$ some of these products mentioned...

D

dongle69

Be aware that that what is listed on nutrient bottles isn't the full list of ingredients.
That goes for every nutrient manufacturer.
Sure makes it tough to decipher.

C

CT Guy

Be aware that that what is listed on nutrient bottles isn't the full list of ingredients.

That's a good point, and something to keep in mind. In addition, it doesn't necessarily tell you ratios or sourcing on the raw ingredients. All that being said, you can source these ingredients separately and probably get comparable results on many products. I think some of the enzymatic products would be or mycorrhizal products you just have to suck up and buy from somewhere. (though I know some people grow or harvest their own)

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
You couldn't make a better investment, IMHO. Their compost tea brewer ($140.00) outperforms units costing 7x in field tests conducted by the folks at the Soil Food Web.

I've purchased their humic acid and some other items. They ship very fast and thoroughly, i.e. great customer support.

Good people up there!

CC

I'm glad there is a thread on this. I saw their product and was curious. Those prices are insane. I guess if you slap "Humbolt" on it you can charge those prices LOL. To the original poster, you can never go wrong with the Botanicare care. I've used Pureblend pro for hydro and Pure blend for soil for probably the past 5 years. That is if you want a simple nute to just add water to. If you want to go more nature like you can do like Clackamas Coot states. I personally don't have the time to make teas like I used to but the plants love it. And to you Clackamas Coot, awesome posts bro.

PS. Why purchase a tea brewer? I've been making teas with a 5 gal bucket and a 4 port air pump for years.

:yeahthats
im interested in seeing the test you are talking about Clackamas Coot. do you have a link?

this is an awesome thread about making your own ferts
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=128172

peace

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
That may well depend on which state that one lives in.

Here's the application that Humboldt Naturals, LLC submitted to the Oregon Department of Agriculture, specifically their Humboldt Natural Bloom 0-10-0 which, again to THEIR application, contains the following: Humic Acid, Indole3 Butyric Acid, Naphthaleneacetic Acid, Phosphorous Acid, Kelp, Vitamin B1, Polyacrylamide, Potting Soil, 2% Yucca Extract (listed under 'Other Ingredients')

Here's the submission to the Washington State Department of Agriculture on the same product - here

Indole3 Butyic Acid is listed in Oregon as a pesticide. Because SuperThrive contains this agent and refuses to list that ingredient on their label, their product is banned in Oregon, Oklahoma and Minnesota. California and Washington are scheduled to ban it as well.

Contrary to the claims made by the grow store 'fertilizer' manufacturers, their products do, in fact, have to have their ingredients submitted and approved for retail or wholesale sales.

As the way that it should be.

CC

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Except no testing is actually done by the approving agents to determine the ingredients.
Most manufacturers do not list everything that is in the products, even on the applications.
Otherwise their "trade secrets" as they call them would be compromised.
The only way to know would be to be there when they made it.
Wrong. Companies (thankfully) are NOT allowed to manufacturer some 'magic elixir' and tell state regulatory agencies that their mixture is a 'trade secret' - see SuperThrive as one example. Dutch Master Penetrator is another example (which was banned earlier this spring).

I'm assuming that you've never been involved in getting a 'fertilizer' product to market or at least in a state that tightly controls what is sold and will be applied to crops that will affect the water tables. States with heavy agriculture and horticultural operations have to know what is being applied.

That's pretty obvious on any cursory reading of the applicable laws and regulatory agency's edicts.

CC

C

CT Guy

My experience is that not everything makes it on the label (even with our products), BUT everything is disclosed to certifiers or if you need an MSDS sheet in order to be compliant with current laws.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
CT Guy

The state that you live in, Washington, has some of the most stringent laws in the nation behind Oregon, California and Florida. Some of the products banned last spring when the laws changed in Oregon removed several dozen products from the shelves.

Again - as it should be.

CC

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Obviously reading for 'intent' is beyond your capability. List the ingredients and you can get approval.

Try and hide ingredients and your product is 'dead on arrival' - pretty much basic English 101.

YMMV

CC

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
How would they know you are hiding anything if they don't test?
That's known as a 'strawman argument' - i.e. YOU make the CLAIM that products are NOT tested. You provide absolutely NO information to support that position.

Then you continue to make the argument that testing is not done. That's total and complete 'bovine excrement' in that you obviously no NOTHING about what it takes to bring a product to market.

Stick with hanging out at 'indoor garden centers' and ply their stupidity. Don't actually do any research - just quote the usual stupidity from the stoners promoting their silliness.

Then again, like you told me the other night, only youngsters like you know the 'real deal' - people who have been in this industry longer than you've been pissing yellow have a clue on what the f*ck is going on.

Noted.

Thanks for your input. Stick to quoting the gibberish from the stoner crowd. Negate any REAL information on how and why fertilizer laws work. Obviously it's beyond your skill and education levels.

Noted.

CC

maryjohn

Veteran
Lol how would a pissing contest between you and clack prove anything about product safety and fraud? I have a policy of not posting pics to resolve a factual disagreement unless the pics contain the answer to the disagreement. I very much hope clack feels the same.

Really though, get a grip. Clack knows his shit, sure, but what he is telling you can be verified by research. He's trying to tell you the current regime does not rely on spectrographic analysis and csi style techniques in the process. It would make no sense to do so when the industry has a long history of cooperating. Furthermore the agencies in question are regulatory by nature; they are not law enforcement. Should a plausible fraud allegation be brought against a ag company then perhaps a product would be tested, but most likely the damning evidence would be the shipping logs, receipts, etc...

There is a supposition of good faith. And deterrent penalties. If you think that is too lax, check out the FDA, which is supposed to be watching over the things you put in you body. None of these agencies can order tests and analysis with the impunity and disregard for budget that you see on CSI.

If a law went on the books today requiring all ag products to be independently tested through blind analysis to determine ingredients, that would be the end of most new products, especially organic ones. Instead, we just ask the cook what's in the soup, and he tells us - maybe even shows his purchase orders - and we believe him until we have reason to think otherwise.

even the superthrive people abided by the law and disclosed the ingredients.

BigForest

does any body know what in botanicares cns17 i belive its called.These guys at the grow store says its reay good ive used pure blend but never heard of cns17 a grow and bloom plus a ripener or finisher they couldnt realy tell me whats in it ,it has a npk reading but idk? maYBE THERE JUST TRYN TO PUSH IT OFF ON ME.They tried with the humblodts but i wasnt buying it tell i hear folks using it.

Last edited:

Omerta

humboldt nutrients co is a big joke. they served up some good unique beer at the last show but other then that their line is overpriced crap, another advanced nutrients trying to cash off the humboldt name.

if you want true organic products buy earth juice products, botanicare has a line of organics as well, general hydroponics is releasing their organics line soon. plenty of quality companies out there who are interested in selling fertilizers and not artwork

Work2much

does any body know what in botanicares cns17 i belive its called.These guys at the grow store says its reay good ive used pure blend but never heard of cns17 a grow and bloom plus a ripener or finisher they couldnt realy tell me whats in it ,it has a npk reading but idk? maYBE THERE JUST TRYN TO PUSH IT OFF ON ME.They tried with the humblodts but i wasnt buying it tell i hear folks using it.

Chelated chemical nutes.

Reading off my bottle of CNS17 coco/soil bloom:

Calcium nitrate
Magnesium Sulfate
Potassium Nitrate

Also three more for the micro's but the above are the big three.

Best nutes I've ever ran. Super easy, but of course no where near organic.

maryjohn

Veteran
Gee thanks. Maybe I should give up on my convictions for the sake of better living through chemistry.

Latest posts

Latest posts