What's new

Humboldt Natural Nutrients

SloWhite

Hey all! New to the fourm, great place here! Lots of info!

To start off, this is my first grow. Trying to keep it 100% organic, my local grow store advised me to use Humboldt Natural nutes. I have the grow and bloom listed in this link:http://www.humboldtnutrients.com/org.html Should i be useing anything else?

A little overview, while in amsterdam i grabed a 10 pack of greenhouse seeds feminised indica mix E. Out of the 10, 3 did not germ. So the 7 that did, went into solo cups with FFOF/perlite mix. Now at 3 weeks, thier in 3 gallon pots under a 250watt MH, with the same soil mix as above. I also just started to feed with the Grow, my question is, should i be useing just this or adding other stuff to my feedings?

Any info or advice would be great! I'll also try to get pics up tonite or tomorrow.

Thanks for your time!
SloWhite...

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if you like GH, try out shanti next time ( alot of strains come from shanti AKA mr nice seeds)

you can add some rock dust, seaweed, humic acid , fulvic acid, compost teas, myco's ...

3 gallons seem pretty big to me, but I guess you won't have to feed as much with that much soil for awhile,

I suggest to keep it simple and work your way up, or go at it, but remember less is more..

seaweed , humic and compost tea : http://www.simplici-tea.com/
azomite or get a 50 pound bag at feed store: http://www.wheatgrasskits.com/azomite.htm
fulvic : http://www.ec-securehost.com/FaustBioAgriculturalServicesinc./Bio_Humic_for_Crops.html

maybe someone has a good place for myco's as there was a thread a while back..

ReelBusy1

Breeder
ICMag Donor
Trying to keep it 100% organic, my local grow store advised me to use Humboldt Natural nutes. I have the grow and bloom listed in this link:http://www.humboldtnutrients.com/org.html Should i be useing anything else?
Hi Slo
I'm using Humboldt Natural too after switching from Fox Farms and GH.

I use the Grow and Bloom and Deuce Deuce, along with the Humboldt Roots, Myco Madness and Prozyme.
I use my own molasses instead of their Honey ES.
My buds are healthier bigger and smellier than ever because of the switch too.
I'm 3 weeks from Harvest and it's very noticable.

Irie_Lion

Free up the Herbs....Let the Sacrament grow!
Veteran
Hi Slo

I use the Grow and Bloom and Deuce Deuce, along with the Humboldt Roots, Myco Madness and Prozyme.

How often do u feed with the bloom and 22 in flowering? I have some here but havnt really used them much other than the grow during veg. Did u try the big bud I think its called by Humboldt too? Thanks

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Humboldt Natural Nutrients

Humboldt Natural Nutrients (HNN)

Grow Natural 3-1-3 - derived from Ocean Fish, Seaplant Extract, Quillaja Saponaria, Yucca Extract, Bentonite and Cane Molasses. $93.60 per gallon.​

You could make this concoction for less than $1.50 per gallon. If that.

Bloom Natural 0-10-0 - derived from Soft Rock Phosophate and Kelp. 2% Yucca Extract also added. $93.60 per gallon​

You could make this concoction for less than $1.00 per gallon. If that.

DeuceDeuce 0-0-22 - derived from Ascophyllum Nodosum Seaweed, Potassium and Sulfate Of Potash. $70.00 per gallon.​

Ascophyllum Nodosum Seaweed is the correct name for North Atlantic Kelp - standard kelp product. You could make this for less than $1.00 per gallon. If that.

Sound like a good business to be in. To say the least.

CC

SloWhite

3 gallons seem pretty big to me, but I guess you won't have to feed as much with that much soil for awhile,
I was worried about being new to this and stunning the plants due to a poor transplant, but everything went fine. Next time i'll go from cups to 1gal, then to 3gal. pots.

Much thanks for the info and links! Going to read over all the links, im sure they will be helpful! So im guessing that i would be safe to use what i have untill i get a better plan of attack?

SloWhite

Hi Slo

Hey Reel, thanks for the info! Im def going to do research on those products as well...
How often do u feed with the bloom and 22 in flowering?

Was wondering the same thing too...

SloWhite

Grow Natural 3-1-3 - derived from Ocean Fish, Seaplant Extract, Quillaja Saponaria, Yucca Extract, Bentonite and Cane Molasses. $93.60 per gallon.​

Bloom Natural 0-10-0 - derived from Soft Rock Phosophate and Kelp. 2% Yucca Extract also added. $93.60 per gallon​

DeuceDeuce 0-0-22 - derived from Ascophyllum Nodosum Seaweed, Potassium and Sulfate Of Potash. $70.00 per gallon.​

Ascophyllum Nodosum Seaweed is the correct name for North Atlantic Kelp - standard kelp product. You could make this for less than $1.00 per gallon. If that.

CC

So im guessing you would'nt use anything from them..LOL
Do you have any advice for me? because if its as cheap as you say it is, i would try and make it myself, but dont want to mess it up.

Dam, i hate wasting $! Just another company trying to bend over the customer.. :mad:

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
SloWhite

Let's take the first product, Grow Natural 3-1-3 as a starter.

Ocean Fish - a fancier name for 'fish meal' usually 10-4-0 and at a local farm store the price for organic fish meal is $37.00 for 50 lbs. This would be enough for 3 or 4 years as a tea.

Seaplant Extract - available online at Keep It Simple Compost Tea Brewers for $13.99 per lb. The rate of usage is 1.5 tsp. per gallon. A lb. should last you a year or more.

Quillaja Saponaria - comes from a tree grown in Chile & Mexico. It's primarily used for it's saponin content. Probably not too easy to find as it's usually sold in bulk. No big deal because they've also added Yucca Extract.

Yucca Extract - used for it's saponin content in agriculture. It's also used as a surfactant in foliar sprays and as a soil drench. You want the human grade product without preservatives. A quart is $22.50 from a good source. Gallons run $70.00. The rate of usage is 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. per liter - it goes a long way. This specific product contains 10-12% saponin. Good stuff!

Bentonite - a volcanic clay mined in Montana and other Mountain States. Cheap. Cheap. Cheap.

Cane Molasses - they're referring to blackstrap molasses. Easily available at grocery stores. Grandma's is one brand that comes to mind. Make sure that the label reads 'unsulphured' and it's also cheap.

There you go - that's just their one product.

For fish meal you can simply add it to your soil mix and let nature takes it's course. Fish meal will provide you with a good source of nitrogen. Fish bone meal is a good source of phosphorus.

You can either use kelp meal in your soil mix or use the seaweed extract that I linked to. Or both.

You're got the source for one of the best yucca extract products available and you can easily find bentonite. You may have to buy a 50-lb. bag which should run you about $20.00 - $30.00 and that should be enough bentonite for 15 years or more.

You can probably figure out the rest of the ingredient list and see whether or not there's some mysterious process that they're using other than burning the midnight oil of branding and marketing. Nice artwork at their web site.

HTH

CC

C

CT Guy

CC

DAMN! I am absolutely speechless at those prices! I should start mixing that stuff together, throw a corny label on it, and market it for 1/2 their price and still make bank! :laughing:

In all seriousness, I agree with CC. Source the ingredients yourself.

~CT

PS: CC, I got a sample from Acadian today, and you're right it looks EXACTLY the same. I was talking to their rep. and he said that their seweed extract powder has a very unique look to it due to the flakiness associated with their processing. I'm convinced you're right.

PPS: He also sent me some great articles on the benefits of seaweed, I'll see if I can figure out a way to post them. Does this site take attachements at all?

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
PS: CC, I got a sample from Acadian today, and you're right it looks EXACTLY the same. I was talking to their rep. and he said that their seweed extract powder has a very unique look to it due to the flakiness associated with their processing. I'm convinced you're right.

PPS: He also sent me some great articles on the benefits of seaweed, I'll see if I can figure out a way to post them. Does this site take attachements at all?
CT Guy

Most of the products found in indoor garden stores labeled 'organic' contain Acadian Seaplant Extract.

One thing you might want to ask their sales rep is the availability of their human grade organic seaweed extract product.

Acadian Seaplants manufacturers at least 3 different soluble powders. One of them is the one that I mentioned. I'd like to hear your feedback after testing it with your teas. I'll even send you up a sample if you're interested.

CC

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
CT Guy

Here was my favorite - Bloom Natural 0-10-0 - derived from Soft Rock Phosophate and Kelp. 2% Yucca Extract also added. $93.60 per gallon

That's more than making bank - that's almost extortion. Soft Rock Phosophate runs $15.00 for 50-lbs. Kelp meal runs $62.00 for 50 lbs. That's a lot of 'Bloom Natural' eh?

Wee!

CC

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Irie_Lion

Reading labels on indoor garden 'nutrients' is always informative. Or at least entertaining if nothing else.

CC

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I would like to get to the bottom of this and see if you have acadian seaweed 100 %. there acting like "drug dealers" and not letting anyone know much..

I would be interested in the articles also

I guess also one thing, one could do is get a bunch of seaweed companies tested, and look at nutrient content ( but I sure it changes every season.. ) and that's only half of the testing, as real world testing needs to be done to crown a champion.. but this is all talk from a perfectionist.

I'm in the middle of testing some ideas, and will hopefully later have the space to start doing some hardcore testing on the side when I have more space. my plans are big, 6 mini rooms each climate controlled and tuned to have the smallest variance possible and then have at, testing ideas to prove information / test new ideas / see what works better or not... I guess I'm bored waiting for real information, and I guess as it's said, if you want something done right, do it yourself..

SloWhite

SloWhite

Let's take the first product, Grow Natural 3-1-3 as a starter.

Ocean Fish - a fancier name for 'fish meal' usually 10-4-0 and at a local farm store the price for organic fish meal is $37.00 for 50 lbs. This would be enough for 3 or 4 years as a tea.

Seaplant Extract - available online at Keep It Simple Compost Tea Brewers for $13.99 per lb. The rate of usage is 1.5 tsp. per gallon. A lb. should last you a year or more.

Quillaja Saponaria - comes from a tree grown in Chile & Mexico. It's primarily used for it's saponin content. Probably not too easy to find as it's usually sold in bulk. No big deal because they've also added Yucca Extract.

Yucca Extract - used for it's saponin content in agriculture. It's also used as a surfactant in foliar sprays and as a soil drench. You want the human grade product without preservatives. A quart is $22.50 from a good source. Gallons run $70.00. The rate of usage is 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. per liter - it goes a long way. This specific product contains 10-12% saponin. Good stuff!

Bentonite - a volcanic clay mined in Montana and other Mountain States. Cheap. Cheap. Cheap.

Cane Molasses - they're referring to blackstrap molasses. Easily available at grocery stores. Grandma's is one brand that comes to mind. Make sure that the label reads 'unsulphured' and it's also cheap.

There you go - that's just their one product.

For fish meal you can simply add it to your soil mix and let nature takes it's course. Fish meal will provide you with a good source of nitrogen. Fish bone meal is a good source of phosphorus.

You can either use kelp meal in your soil mix or use the seaweed extract that I linked to. Or both.

You're got the source for one of the best yucca extract products available and you can easily find bentonite. You may have to buy a 50-lb. bag which should run you about $20.00 - $30.00 and that should be enough bentonite for 15 years or more.

You can probably figure out the rest of the ingredient list and see whether or not there's some mysterious process that they're using other than burning the midnight oil of branding and marketing. Nice artwork at their web site.

HTH

CC

Wow, cant belive that! Thanks for all that info CC, well im stuck with a gal. each of grow and bloom. So i was thinking of getting a KIS compost tea kit (as from the above link) and useing that with the grow/bloom i have, till i run out.
What do you think?

C

CT Guy

I would like to get to the bottom of this and see if you have acadian seaweed 100 %. there acting like "drug dealers" and not letting anyone know much..

I guess also one thing, one could do is get a bunch of seaweed companies tested, and look at nutrient content ( but I sure it changes every season.. ) and that's only half of the testing, as real world testing needs to be done to crown a champion.. but this is all talk from a perfectionist.

I'm in the middle of testing some ideas, and will hopefully later have the space to start doing some hardcore testing on the side when I have more space. my plans are big, 6 mini rooms each climate controlled and tuned to have the smallest variance possible and then have at, testing ideas to prove information / test new ideas / see what works better or not... I guess I'm bored waiting for real information, and I guess as it's said, if you want something done right, do it yourself..

Habeeb,

My source is very protective of his sourcing, and as a businessman I can respect that. Their company has an excellent reputation and has always supplied us with the highest quality seaweed and humate products. I know they make the humates themselves, but they refuse to disclose their mining sites or processing methods. It's the way the owner has chosen to run the business and he's been very success, quite simply because he gets results.

As far as seaweed products, the Acadian people have done a TON of research to support their product and I believe they have one of the most consistent and best seaweed products on the market.

I'll look into adding attachments right now.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Wow, cant belive that! Thanks for all that info CC, well im stuck with a gal. each of grow and bloom. So i was thinking of getting a KIS compost tea kit (as from the above link) and useing that with the grow/bloom i have, till i run out.
What do you think?
You couldn't make a better investment, IMHO. Their compost tea brewer ($140.00) outperforms units costing 7x in field tests conducted by the folks at the Soil Food Web.

I've purchased their humic acid and some other items. They ship very fast and thoroughly, i.e. great customer support.

Good people up there!

CC

Clackamas Coot

Veteran

Habeeb

There aren't that many seaweed extract processors in the soluble powder deal.

Maxi-Crop processes theirs in Norway as they have for about 60 years. It's shipped to the US as a powder and is then mixed with water and shipped to nursery stores and such. They also sell their powder but at the prices charged online or at nurseries, it's 2x the price of the product from KIS. And Maxi-Crop is processed chemically which reduces the quality.

Acadian Seaplants in Nova Scotia is the other major manufacturer that uses the same kelp variety that Maxi-Crop uses. Their seaweed extract is processed completely different than Maxi-Crop which keeps the beneficials at a higher level.

Most of the kelp meal sold in the US is also processed by Acadian Seaplants under another label, i.e. Light House. This is the product found in potting soil mixes, fertilizer mixes, etc. It's a very high quality product and priced well.

There are some products being marketed out of China which uses a different kelp than the kelp found in the North Atlantic. This kelp product does not have the 80+ year history of being tested again and again around the world.

There are a couple of 'clear' seaweed extracts. One out of South Africa called 'KELPAK' is one that many hydroponic nutrients contain because it's clear and doesn't interfere with their color schemes for the different concoctions. KELPAK uses a different kelp than the products out of China and the North Atlantic.

Then there's a product out of Japan called 'KelpGrow' which is manufactured in the same process as KELPAK but uses yet another variety of kelp.

Given the cost to set up a seaweed extract processing operation, it's pretty safe to bet that if you find a seaweed extract that performs consistently it's going to be one of the 3 products from Acadian Seaplants. It's not like people hit the lottery and decide to start processing kelp on the North Atlantic Ocean.

I would buy the product from KIS other than the fact that when I found a source for the Acadian Seaplant product, the minimum purchase was/is 3 lbs. I still have over 2 lbs. from the purchase in December 2007.

You're good to go with the KIS product.

CC

C

CT Guy

CC,

We don't have a minimum with the seaweed or humates, just the bulk compost and foods.

:)

Latest posts

Latest posts