What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to stop stretch

joseaf

When I notice that two of my badseed where sativa, I started tying them down, this only cause the plant to grow more parallel with the lamp. The problem with that is the plants covered other indica plants.

Bushmaster works, but you have to be mindful of the doseage and length of time it is used. My planst with bushmaster are short with buds that are very closed.

I will continue to use it on my next crop, but I will veg until the plant is at least 24" high then move to flower area with bushmaster for 2 days at 2ml/gal in my ebb/flow setup.

M

mexilandrace

Interesting. I've heard & seen the use of veg nutes for the first week or two of flowering help fight stretch.

Actually it's to encourage the stretch. I have some plants(sativas,duh) that stretch to 6x if I keep the nitrogen high going into flower. If I drop all nitrogen ferting going into flower the only go about 3 times. I grow in soil so there is residual veg ferts in the medium that the plant uses up.

Once the stretch stops and I see minor yellowing on the bottom leaves I start giving a very light bit of N just to stop the yellowing while the plant is putting on weight.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
Just a reminder, bushmasters will stay in the medium, meaning it cannot be reused.

I like phosoload, i read and heard they took it off the shelves, but ebay still had some!

samba

Thanks for all the replies. I dropped the lights as close as I could, tied them down and they seem to be under control now at 2 week 12/12. I couldn't find bushmaster where I'm at(EU). I just hope to god they don't go wild on me, its been 2 weeks so I'm not that concerned that they would. Got rid of the bugs to, I think, sprayed them every evening at light off, maybe THIS time I'll get a proper (+0.7g/w) yield. Best so far .5g/w, yeah, I know, sad...

joseaf

The plant below is over 5' and bent:

picture.php

This is a clone of that plant after using BushMaster at 28 day 12/12. It is about 10" high.

P1280074Standarde-mailview.jpg

vprising909

bush master rocks and it never fucked up my plants. just know what you're getting yourself into. when they mean stop growth they mean STOP VERTICAL GROWTH. you'll end up with some DENSE, short, fat, and funky top colas.

E

EvilTwin

Hey Guys,
Mind if I ask a Bushmaster question?

I was wondering if it would be useful for a SCROG grower. Say, you went 12/12 too late and your screen is being overgrown. Would Bushmaster help that situation...or owuld the side branching actually make it worse? This is a thought I had while trying to help a first time scrogger who was being overgrown.
ET

joseaf

BushMaster is usually administered at the start of 12/12. I plan to grow my saliva to 24 - 30", then switch to 12/12 with bushmaster in r/o for 2 days.

I would say apply it to your SCROG to stop growth.

*mistress*

Veteran
if read the links in post 13...
should maybe find that increasing night temp to, or higher than, day temp, should halt elongation.

elongation is very much influenced by avg daily & weekly ambient temps. & difference (diff) between day/night, root zone/canopy, & actual leaf temps.

chemicals are not necessary in controlling elongation, mainly light & temps.

enjoy your garden!

S

StealthyStalks

The best solution I know of for reducing stretch is pounding the plants with a metal halide through veg and the first two weeks of flower. You'll have tighter nodes and way less stretch. This is where a switchable ballast really shines.

Edit: Now that I've read all the post I see I'm not saying anything new!...lol

Last edited:
E

EvilTwin

if read the links in post 13...
should maybe find that increasing night temp to, or higher than, day temp, should halt elongation.

elongation is very much influenced by avg daily & weekly ambient temps. & difference (diff) between day/night, root zone/canopy, & actual leaf temps.

chemicals are not necessary in controlling elongation, mainly light & temps.

enjoy your garden!

Hi Mistress,
Your posts are always of a very high order, but on this issue, from a practical perspective...

"Let's see, I guess I'll need an electric heater on a timer at night and metal halide lights"
or
"I guess I'll stop off at the hydro store and buy a bottle of bushmaster"

I think most people would choose the latter...
ET

brightskies

In a bubble
Veteran
Brushing your hand against the tops of your plants a couple of times a day during stretch is supposed to help a little; it is a response from the plant called Thigmotropism. Also, reducing the humidity levels during the dark cycle can contribute to tighter nodal spacing during stretch. More air circulation blowing across the tops of the plants during stretch is said to also contribute to less stretch. These ideas were all from an Advanced Nutrients video I just saw today on YouTube which also discusses many of the things already mentioned in this discussion. Here's a link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSi4VWXlksE&feature=channel

Latest posts

Latest posts