What's new

How to spot quantum quackery

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
curiously though on thoughts of quantum mechanics

were does sound come into play

where in the definition of quantum mechanics does sound energy measure

it may be off the original source but i wonder if quantum mechanics cant be used as a proof behind some physical alternative treatments such as sound therapies

a phonon is the quantum of sound, as far as I can remember.

The explanation for the sound therapies and for most everything we can observe is not explained by quantum mechanics.

I think much of the speculation about quantum mechanics is based on not understanding the basics of quantum mechanics...

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Weird, I will admit a tendency among some of the regular posters in these threads to discuss topics that some of our membership will not fully comprehend when reading about them for the first time. Some members here have an interest in certain areas that gives them a baseline understanding of the topics before opening the thread, and using this understanding to discus the topics in a way that requires that understanding to fully interpret the posts in the way they were designed to be interpretted. If someone else wishes to get into the discussion, especially when they have a background that has generated opposing views to those already held by the core posters in such threads, it can become confrontational, but that is rarely the intention of most members. Rather than stating that what is posted is wrong, someone who doesn't have the background necessary could perhaps ask for an explanation of what they dont understand, and perhaps some of those core posters could approach the topics of spirituality with more compassion, I realise that I myself am guilty of not doing so. However you must realise that discussing spirituallity and scientific approaches to the same subject in the same thread is difficult, as the starting points are completely different. Spirituality uses an approach that can be refered to as a sophists approach, it tells a story that seems to explain why that which we dont have an understanding of, is. It is designed to generate an income for the story tellers, as the sophists would charge for this service. (The sophists were a bunch in ancient greece that socrates used to enjoy arguing/ discussing with). Science does not seek to impose the story of scientific theory, it simply states what has been seen, and says when we see or do this, then in each and every event, this happens. Therefore there is a link between the 2 things. Now if someone doesn't want to accept that, they are free to turn away and say I don't believe you, but that doesn't affect what happens when it is done again. It is provable and not a story once told by someone in order to generate an income for themselves or their group. Now in the strictest sense, psychology is not science, however when dealing with physics, we are clearly in the realm of science and not the realm of the sophist movement. So while you may look at quantum mechanics as another story that can be argued, it is actually just the reporting of what happens to A when you do B. Some people find that interesting, as they have a curiosity as to how things work and getting a glimpse of something new is interesting to them. Some sophists find it irritating to have their story proven false as it reduces both their credability and their income. Some even go so far as to attack scientific findings as being nothing more than the opposing team of sophists. When those who are interested in scientific findings/observations are faced with someone who does not approach life from a scientific point of view, it is tempting to dismiss them too easily. However in practice it is very hard to convert a sophist into a curious scientist, as there is so much which must be proven to be false before that conversion can take place. But if you genuinely have an interest in any particular conversation, but feel that it is outside of your experience/expertise, say so as you did in your recent post rather than dismissing the science outright to begin with. As when you dismiss science, those who follow science will follow your lead and dismiss your sophistry, even if it has genuine merit to those who follow it. I am willing to admit that in the past, it has had a great deal of benefit, however I am of the view that in this day and age, we have the ability to move forwards and leave it behind. Perhaps I am wrong in that, perhaps those who still follow it are wrong, or perhaps there are those who no longer need it and those who still do. All I can say is that while I do not hold any respect for sophistry in any form, if asked outright for an explanation for my beliefs I will try to explain them, as I'm sure any other poster would unless their beliefs are based on sophestry, as in this case there is no explanation other than "its what I have been told to believe" which in a great many cases, and I will be quite frank here, is the case in many scientific beliefs too. However the difference, and why some of us feel justified in dismissing those who believe because they were told to, while believing because we were told to, is that in our case, the basis for believing that scientist is that they conducted research and found it out, rather than they made it up to make a quick buck.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
sound is different, you see where as light is both a particle and a wave, sound is nothing more than a wave. Its like whipping a towel at someone, rather than throwing something at them. For light to travel, a light photon is created and sent along its path, for sound to travel, nothing is generated, just the molecules that already exist in the air/water/matter around that which generates the sound, are moved, vibrated to be exact. The particular speed of the vibration generates the pitch, the faster the vibration, the higher the pitch of the sound. When you hear something, that is just the engery of the first vibration having been passed down the line of molecules between the source of the sound and your ear drum. Like those swinging steel balls on an executives desk. Nothing has left the sound source and entered your ear other than energy waves, whereas when you see light, something has left what you see and entered your eye.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
phonon |ˈfōnän|
noun Physics
a quantum of energy or a quasiparticle associated with a compressional wave such as sound or a vibration of a crystal lattice.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
lol

quasiparticle–noun Physics .
an entity, as an exciton or phonon, that interacts with elementary particles, but does not exist as a free particle.

this could get tricky quickly

in physics, a disturbance, in a medium, that behaves as a particle and that may conveniently be regarded as one. A rudimentary analogy is that of a bubble in a glass of beer: the bubble is not really an independent object but a phenomenon, the displacement of a volume of beer by carbon dioxide gas, but, because of the characteristics of the surface of liquid in contact with the gas, the bubble retains a certain identity as it rises and floats. It, like a quasiparticle, carries properties characteristic of objects, such as size, shape, energy, and momentum. Two bubbles can bounce off each other; quasiparticles, too, undergo collisions. Some specific quasiparticles are the exciton, phonon, magnon, and polaron

quasi-

a combining form meaning “resembling,” “having some, but not all of the features of,” used in the formation of compound words: quasi-definition; quasi-monopoly; quasi-official; quasi-scientific.

quasi (ˈkweɪzaɪ, -saɪ, ˈkwɑːzɪ) adv as if; as it were

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well darn..I thought for sure this thread had to be about the bullshit I spew out everyday...

..some of the regular posters in these threads to discuss topics that some of our membership will not fully comprehend when reading about them for the first time.
GMT I am 55 and I think I've learned more from the threads and posters such as you and H3ad here at IC than I did in high school, and I was just experimenting with weed back then. Thank you guys for that...DD

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
DD thankyou, thats really nice of you to say, I must admit when I saw a mod enter the thread my heart sank a little expecting it to be shut down.

lol head, yeah complication is to be expected. And that phaser, wow another star trek fantasy being turned into reality lol. Though I suspect as with so many of these things, the implications for a weapon is plain to see. Crowd control, or in more serious cases, on the battlefield, the ability to burst the ear drums of your enemy would Im sure be seen as an advantage. Interesting though, while scary.

Last edited:

sac beh

Weird, I will admit a tendency among some of the regular posters in these threads to discuss topics that some of our membership will not fully comprehend when reading about them for the first time. Some members here have an interest in certain areas that gives them a baseline understanding of the topics before opening the thread, and using this understanding to discus the topics in a way that requires that understanding to fully interpret the posts in the way they were designed to be interpretted. If someone else wishes to get into the discussion, especially when they have a background that has generated opposing views to those already held by the core posters in such threads, it can become confrontational, but that is rarely the intention of most members...

All well said, GMT. If I have come off as confrontational to someone, I hereby declare that it was not my intent. peace

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Weird, I will admit a tendency among some of the regular posters in these threads to discuss topics that some of our membership will not fully comprehend when reading about them for the first time. Some members here have an interest in certain areas that gives them a baseline understanding of the topics before opening the thread, and using this understanding to discus the topics in a way that requires that understanding to fully interpret the posts in the way they were designed to be interpretted. If someone else wishes to get into the discussion, especially when they have a background that has generated opposing views to those already held by the core posters in such threads, it can become confrontational, but that is rarely the intention of most members. Rather than stating that what is posted is wrong, someone who doesn't have the background necessary could perhaps ask for an explanation of what they dont understand, and perhaps some of those core posters could approach the topics of spirituality with more compassion, I realise that I myself am guilty of not doing so. However you must realise that discussing spirituallity and scientific approaches to the same subject in the same thread is difficult, as the starting points are completely different. Spirituality uses an approach that can be refered to as a sophists approach, it tells a story that seems to explain why that which we dont have an understanding of, is. It is designed to generate an income for the story tellers, as the sophists would charge for this service. (The sophists were a bunch in ancient greece that socrates used to enjoy arguing/ discussing with). Science does not seek to impose the story of scientific theory, it simply states what has been seen, and says when we see or do this, then in each and every event, this happens. Therefore there is a link between the 2 things. Now if someone doesn't want to accept that, they are free to turn away and say I don't believe you, but that doesn't affect what happens when it is done again. It is provable and not a story once told by someone in order to generate an income for themselves or their group. Now in the strictest sense, psychology is not science, however when dealing with physics, we are clearly in the realm of science and not the realm of the sophist movement. So while you may look at quantum mechanics as another story that can be argued, it is actually just the reporting of what happens to A when you do B. Some people find that interesting, as they have a curiosity as to how things work and getting a glimpse of something new is interesting to them. Some sophists find it irritating to have their story proven false as it reduces both their credability and their income. Some even go so far as to attack scientific findings as being nothing more than the opposing team of sophists. When those who are interested in scientific findings/observations are faced with someone who does not approach life from a scientific point of view, it is tempting to dismiss them too easily. However in practice it is very hard to convert a sophist into a curious scientist, as there is so much which must be proven to be false before that conversion can take place. But if you genuinely have an interest in any particular conversation, but feel that it is outside of your experience/expertise, say so as you did in your recent post rather than dismissing the science outright to begin with. As when you dismiss science, those who follow science will follow your lead and dismiss your sophistry, even if it has genuine merit to those who follow it. I am willing to admit that in the past, it has had a great deal of benefit, however I am of the view that in this day and age, we have the ability to move forwards and leave it behind. Perhaps I am wrong in that, perhaps those who still follow it are wrong, or perhaps there are those who no longer need it and those who still do. All I can say is that while I do not hold any respect for sophistry in any form, if asked outright for an explanation for my beliefs I will try to explain them, as I'm sure any other poster would unless their beliefs are based on sophestry, as in this case there is no explanation other than "its what I have been told to believe" which in a great many cases, and I will be quite frank here, is the case in many scientific beliefs too. However the difference, and why some of us feel justified in dismissing those who believe because they were told to, while believing because we were told to, is that in our case, the basis for believing that scientist is that they conducted research and found it out, rather than they made it up to make a quick buck.

I admit I am an oddity

I am a intellectual and spiritual

let me explain in regards to modern medicine

PHds is a common level of education in my family with 3 generation of surgeon (no im not a rich privileged or a trusty i abandoned the paradigm of standard education)

I have been afforded the best in medical care including a year inpatient and decades of pharmaceuticals

and I am still intelligent to understand the dynamics of modern medicine

But at the base of my being, below my operational intellect I felt the differential in my being when i used marijuana opposed to american pharmaceuticals

my spirituality was expressed in a non-intellectual internal observation that trumped the physiological, social and intellectual paradigms that were built and were :enslaving: my potential

this spirituality lead me to build a relationship with a plant that led to believing in what I sense balanced against the intellectual

in this manner I have found it easier to disseminate someone who is lying to you for their own benefit, because often my "gut" reveals an "instinct" or "feel" that betrays my intellect

i have found that my intellect is no match for the magnificence of the whole of my being, that i cannot comprehend life better than it is represented in the grand design of the human body

this said I feel that I can "understand" at a higher level than I can express with my intellect

its the understanding of this phenomenon that normally forces me to interact in debates like this

not that quantum mechanics cant exonerate some of the alternative healing philosophies teachings, but the article was written from an presented IMHO as a piece that dismisses the whole of alternative non-scientific mainstream medicine and I think that while there is a benefit to knowing what is real or not, the way it is being presented frowns upon people looking outside the corrupt mainstream for solutions

there is nothing fundamentally wrong with science or spirituality just the application there of

and that application as seen in the buddhist perspective might be considered karma

that is my contention, not with the intellectual of IC mag, but with the presentation of information that would alienate a segment of our diverse community

my name is weird, I hope that sets the expectations I have for everyone :)

really i bring no judgement i just wish for harmony among us as we celebrate our differences because that is where you build strength in community

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
well the truth is that medicine is not truly scientific in itself. whereas one atom of iron will always react the same way as another atom of iron, one persons body will not react the same way as the next. Therefore medicine works on the principle of what NORMALLY works. Its history is one of anecdotal evidence, ie, a patient who got well, would say this doctor is skilled, and a patient who dies doesn't say anything, therefore the reputation of doctors throughout history has been as skilled physicians. Having said that though, I would rather go with what has been medically scientifically proven to work, combined with what I can say works for me, than rely on someone else's belief system to magically cure an ailment. And some will say that this or that belief system works for them, and if they feel that, good luck to them, but someone who has a broken leg will normally get it put in plaster and wait for it to heal, than wave a feather over it and hobble around as if it feels fine. But due to this being about physics rather than medicine, I'm leaving that one there.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
This is from a couple of years back, but seemed topical since both quantum physics and douglas adams were being discussed.

In 1972, the physicist Freeman Dyson wrote an article called “Missed Opportunities.” In it, he describes how relativity could have been discovered many years before Einstein announced his findings if mathematicians in places like Göttingen had spoken to physicists who were poring over Maxwell’s equations describing electromagnetism. The ingredients were there in 1865 to make the breakthrough—only announced by Einstein some 40 years later.

It is striking that Dyson should have written about scientific ships passing in the night. Shortly after he published the piece, he was responsible for an abrupt collision between physics and mathematics that produced one of the most remarkable scientific ideas of the last half century: that quantum physics and prime numbers are inextricably linked.

This unexpected connection with physics has given us a glimpse of the mathematics that might, ultimately, reveal the secret of these enigmatic numbers. At first the link seemed rather tenuous. But the important role played by the number 42 has recently persuaded even the deepest skeptics that the subatomic world might hold the key to one of the greatest unsolved problems in mathematics.

Prime numbers, such as 17 and 23, are those that can only be divided by themselves and one. They are the most important objects in mathematics because, as the ancient Greeks discovered, they are the building blocks of all numbers—any of which can be broken down into a product of primes. (For example, 105 = 3 x 5 x 7.) They are the hydrogen and oxygen of the world of mathematics, the atoms of arithmetic. They also represent one of the greatest challenges in mathematics.

As a mathematician, I’ve dedicated my life to trying to find patterns, structure and logic in the apparent chaos that surrounds me. Yet this science of patterns seems to be built from a set of numbers which have no logic to them at all. The primes look more like a set of lottery ticket numbers than a sequence generated by some simple formula or law.

For 2,000 years the problem of the pattern of the primes—or the lack thereof—has been like a magnet, drawing in perplexed mathematicians. Among them was Bernhard Riemann who, in 1859, the same year Darwin published his theory of evolution, put forward an equally-revolutionary thesis for the origin of the primes. Riemann was the mathematician in Göttingen responsible for creating the geometry that would become the foundation for Einstein’s great breakthrough. But it wasn’t only relativity that his theory would unlock.

Riemann discovered a geometric landscape, the contours of which held the secret to the way primes are distributed through the universe of numbers. He realized that he could use something called the zeta function to build a landscape where the peaks and troughs in a three-dimensional graph correspond to the outputs of the function. The zeta function provided a bridge between the primes and the world of geometry. As Riemann explored the significance of this new landscape, he realized that the places where the zeta function outputs zero (which correspond to the troughs, or places where the landscape dips to sea-level) hold crucial information about the nature of the primes. Mathematicians call these significant places the zeros.

Riemann’s discovery was as revolutionary as Einstein’s realization that E=mc2. Instead of matter turning into energy, Riemann’s equation transformed the primes into points at sea-level in the zeta landscape. But then Riemann noticed that it did something even more incredible. As he marked the locations of the first 10 zeros, a rather amazing pattern began to emerge. The zeros weren’t scattered all over; they seemed to be running in a straight line through the landscape. Riemann couldn’t believe this was just a coincidence. He proposed that all the zeros, infinitely many of them, would be sitting on this critical line—a conjecture that has become known as the Riemann Hypothesis.

But what did this amazing pattern mean for the primes? If Riemann’s discovery was right, it would imply that nature had distributed the primes as fairly as possible. It would mean that the primes behave rather like the random molecules of gas in a room: Although you might not know quite where each molecule is, you can be sure that there won’t be a vacuum at one corner and a concentration of molecules at the other.

For mathematicians, Riemann’s prediction about the distribution of primes has been very powerful. If true, it would imply the viability of thousands of other theorems, including several of my own, which have had to assume the validity of Riemann’s Hypothesis to make further progress. But despite nearly 150 years of effort, no one has been able to confirm that all the zeros really do line up as he predicted.

It was a chance meeting between physicist Freeman Dyson and number theorist Hugh Montgomery in 1972, over tea at Princeton’s Institute for Advanced Study, that revealed a stunning new connection in the story of the primes—one that might finally provide a clue about how to navigate Riemann’s landscape. They discovered that if you compare a strip of zeros from Riemann’s critical line to the experimentally recorded energy levels in the nucleus of a large atom like erbium, the 68th atom in the periodic table of elements, the two are uncannily similar.

It seemed the patterns Montgomery was predicting for the way zeros were distributed on Riemann’s critical line were the same as those predicted by quantum physicists for energy levels in the nucleus of heavy atoms. The implications of a connection were immense: If one could understand the mathematics describing the structure of the atomic nucleus in quantum physics, maybe the same math could solve the Riemann Hypothesis.

Mathematicians were skeptical. Though mathematics has often served physicists—Einstein, for instance—they wondered whether physics could really answer hard-core problems in number theory. So in 1996, Peter Sarnak at Princeton threw down the gauntlet and challenged physicists to tell the mathematicians something they didn’t know about primes. Recently, Jon Keating and Nina Snaith, of Bristol, duely obliged.

There is an important sequence of numbers called “the moments of the Riemann zeta function.” Although we know abstractly how to define it, mathematicians have had great difficulty explicitly calculating the numbers in the sequence. We have known since the 1920s that the first two numbers are 1 and 2, but it wasn’t until a few years ago that mathematicians conjectured that the third number in the sequence may be 42—a figure greatly significant to those well-versed in The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.

It would also prove to be significant in confirming the connection between primes and quantum physics. Using the connection, Keating and Snaith not only explained why the answer to life, the universe and the third moment of the Riemann zeta function should be 42, but also provided a formula to predict all the numbers in the sequence. Prior to this breakthrough, the evidence for a connection between quantum physics and the primes was based solely on interesting statistical comparisons. But mathematicians are very suspicious of statistics. We like things to be exact. Keating and Snaith had used physics to make a very precise prediction that left no room for the power of statistics to see patterns where there are none.

Mathematicians are now convinced. That chance meeting in the common room in Princeton resulted in one of the most exciting recent advances in the theory of prime numbers. Many of the great problems in mathematics, like Fermat’s Last Theorem, have only been cracked once connections were made to other parts of the mathematical world. For 150 years many have been too frightened to tackle the Riemann Hypothesis. The prospect that we might finally have the tools to understand the primes has persuaded many more mathematicians and physicists to take up the challenge. The feeling is in the air that we might be one step closer to a solution. Dyson might be right that the opportunity was missed to discover relativity 40 years earlier, but who knows how long we might still have had to wait for the discovery of connections between primes and quantum physics had mathematicians not enjoyed a good chat over tea. —Marcus du Sautoy is professor of mathematics at the University of Oxford, and is the author of The Music of the Primes (HarperCollins).

bs0

So what is your complaint?

There is no question by anyone in the physics field that once you get down to a molecular level the rules of 'traditional' physics go obsolete and most sub-atomic interactions can only be modeled or experimented with various 'quantum' theories.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
^ true so no explination is needed to describe reality.

To be or not to be, that is the question.

If Shakespeare had reflected, he might have indicated the "question" is a start, not a finish.

Some folks' reality isn't necessarily with the grain. At some point it becomes necessary the separate wheat from chaff.