What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to select a male?

Ganja baba

Veteran
i choose a strain that has no bad phenotypes then i grow the females out find the keeper then rub the stem of the males find the similar smells to the female .i look for similar traits to the female that took my fancy , this way you get more chance of a male that has the traits of the chosen female

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
If your looking for diversity then use a few different males from the same line, thats what Rez did and it seems to work real well.

HGO

L

LouDog420

^^ That... I always try to use multiple males. I don't keep males around after they drop, so it makes sense to use the most vigorous and multiples to keep the line worthy of continuing on. Gives a better representation and can be sorted through later with all those genes still intact...

Oh, and what's up with all the feminized posts?? Coming into a thread on how to select a male, and I gotta read through all the S1 business.... Psh you lesbo lovers. Gimme that man meat anyday when were talking about breeding, and take your stressed pollen elsewhere ;)

Talking reversing males?? That's a bit more interesting :D

mofeta

Veteran
The only way to know if you've got a winning male is to breed with him and see what traits he passes on.

This is the correct answer. ^^^

After 25 yrs of smoking males, rubbing their stems, reversing them to check their resin, etc., I changed my ways. I would go ahead and pick the one that by smoking, rubbing etc seemed best and used it. I would also pick one or two totally at random and use them too.

To make a long story short, I found that (for me anyway) trying to predict which male would produce the best progeny was futile. In fact, it was detrimental. No matter how firmly the breeder feels that that stinky, frosty, potent male should be the one, it doesn't make it so.

Many people feel that breeding is something where you impose your will on the line, and make it conform to the vision of your goal. To an extent, this is true of course, like when you are preserving a line. It is also true for simple traits like flowering time or overall growth habit. When trying to come up with something new and special though, it is a different story.

For the traits that make the magic, that have to do with the resin profile, I think it is best to go fishing. Instead of deciding what you want and trying to force it, see what the plant is offering. Do some random matings and check them. When you see something you like, then form your mental image/goal. Draw it out and run it down then with the standard techniques (with a heavy emphasis on progeny testing :) ). The gold is where you find it, not where you think it should be.

The Better Question ...

The Better Question ...

Mofeta has it right.

The better question is "How to Select Males".

Groups of males are the best way to stabilize traits while avoiding genetic bottlenecks & dead-ends.

Even assuming a 50 / 50 split in the usual "pack",( and assuming the seeds are a cross & with little or no attempt to stabilize the strain ) getting 3 or 4 decent looking males is a crap-shoot. The odd runt or hermi can skew the odds significantly. Better to use 2 than one, and 3 or 4, better still. From the results of that mix, on clones of all the non-runt females, you'll be able to produce a much larger number of males from which to select a "gene pool". ( and a large group of well-marked seeds to cure and freeze for later use )

Selecting the females is the fun part, but you already know that.

Inbreed the results of the next round, and the next, and then backcross to the ( preserved by freezing ) pollen from the second "pool".

This type of breeding scheme was first popularized by "Vic High" way back in the day. Still makes sence.

Ganja baba

Veteran
This is the correct answer. ^^^

After 25 yrs of smoking males, rubbing their stems, reversing them to check their resin, etc., I changed my ways. I would go ahead and pick the one that by smoking, rubbing etc seemed best and used it. I would also pick one or two totally at random and use them too.

To make a long story short, I found that (for me anyway) trying to predict which male would produce the best progeny was futile. In fact, it was detrimental. No matter how firmly the breeder feels that that stinky, frosty, potent male should be the one, it doesn't make it so.

Many people feel that breeding is something where you impose your will on the line, and make it conform to the vision of your goal. To an extent, this is true of course, like when you are preserving a line. It is also true for simple traits like flowering time or overall growth habit. When trying to come up with something new and special though, it is a different story.

For the traits that make the magic, that have to do with the resin profile, I think it is best to go fishing. Instead of deciding what you want and trying to force it, see what the plant is offering. Do some random matings and check them. When you see something you like, then form your mental image/goal. Draw it out and run it down then with the standard techniques (with a heavy emphasis on progeny testing :) ). The gold is where you find it, not where you think it should be.

your right mate . i for got to add the part that that in the end you just cant tell what the male will do until he's done his work and the seeds grown out

Greenheart

Veteran
My thanks to all the sage words from the vets around here. Got a little stoned and took awhile to come back but what I treasure I found.

Those pics. WOW!

:jawdrop:

C

ChemFrog

Hi peepz, i have a chemchiesel male i wanted to use for breeding for my own stash but recently i have noticed female flowers on the male ball sacs??

should i ditch this male?

sgapetti

Veteran
Hi peepz, i have a chemchiesel male i wanted to use for breeding for my own stash but recently i have noticed female flowers on the male ball sacs??

should i ditch this male?

wsup chem , only the plants grown from the seeds you make with that male can answer that question.If you are really curios you can allways pollinate a lower branch and find out. I said this because I pollinated 2 different females with a male that turned partially female

I am a very curios person :laughing:
Here you may find some usefull info
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=242683
Peace S

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
I did read in another thread that when a feminized seed was pollenated. That it will have a greater chance of throwing hermie prone seeds depending on which way the seeds were feminized. Giberelic acid was believed to cause a greater amount of hermie plants I would like to know how it changes from plants grown indoors then seedling raised outdoors and vise versa. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Adze

farmerlion,

Feminization doesn't cause hermies. If you feminize hermie prone genetics you get hermies. Feminization does not change the genes. However if you’re inbreeding, using the same female for the pollen and mother, using a sister plant etc. then you’ll see both more of the recessive traits and more hermies. It has to do with inbreeding not feminization.

K

K.O.Genetics

1. Yield vs flowering time - Gmax has an excellent chart demonstrating yield over a year based on flowering time
2. Stretch - Growing trees at the time so more stretch is required. SOG grows require little stretch....
3. Quality - This encompasses taste, smell, bud density, bag appeal, and effect.
4. Branch strength - I don't bother with weak stemmed/branched plants
5. Resistance to stress - be it bugs, fungus, over/under feeding, high/low temps and humidity, etc. These things are purposely tested.
6. Root mass - Larger more aggressive rooters produce bigger buds, and over all healthier plants
7. Vigor - I don't bother with slow growing plants.....
8. Natural growth shape - I don't like having the train the shit out of my plants so I look for plants with a shape that lends itself to my grow style. i.e christmas tree look for tree gardens, and totem pole shape for sog gardens
9. Rooting speed for the clones

I Found This While Researching How to Properly Select Keepers .. I use this for males and females.

K

K.O.Genetics

males u just need to change yield and flower time.. to how quickly they start droppin pollen.. and yield change to how muchsacks are created.. is it lanky. or does the male have big sacks that are almost like nugs of sacks..

Trying to choose a male, questions about leaf shape ?

Trying to choose a male, questions about leaf shape ?

Namaste all,

I have recently pulled some Grape OG males aside from DNA genetics. Have 3 males , seems like a stable seedpack. 3 Fem, 3 Males. Only 2 Phenos of each sex which seems pretty promising. Of the 3 males ( 2 Phenos) and looking at leaf structure, I was wondering if there is any clues that the leaf shape , especially edges or the sharpness/jaggedness of the leaf is important in determining a strong male?? I am selecting the male for all the general characteristics/traits mentioned in this thread as well. I remember back in the day one of my buddies mentioning leaf edge, so just wanted to see if there was any validation. Peace

Bom Shankar Bom Shiva dum maro dum

TheRealHash

Horticultural enthusiast
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Namaste all,

I have recently pulled some Grape OG males aside from DNA genetics. Have 3 males , seems like a stable seedpack. 3 Fem, 3 Males. Only 2 Phenos of each sex which seems pretty promising. Of the 3 males ( 2 Phenos) and looking at leaf structure, I was wondering if there is any clues that the leaf shape , especially edges or the sharpness/jaggedness of the leaf is important in determining a strong male?? I am selecting the male for all the general characteristics/traits mentioned in this thread as well. I remember back in the day one of my buddies mentioning leaf edge, so just wanted to see if there was any validation. Peace

Bom Shankar Bom Shiva dum maro dum

You have to grow it out to see if theres a difference in phenotype in the finished product from the two leaf variations. If ones better then select it

:plant grow:

TheRealHash

Horticultural enthusiast
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Inter-sex traits

Inter-sex traits

wsup chem , only the plants grown from the seeds you make with that male can answer that question.If you are really curios you can allways pollinate a lower branch and find out. I said this because I pollinated 2 different females with a male that turned partially female
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=31920&pictureid=917850&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=31920&pictureid=917851&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]
I am a very curios person :laughing:
Here you may find some usefull info
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=242683
Peace S

Usually inter sex traits are not what you want.

TheRealHash

Horticultural enthusiast
ICMag Donor
Veteran
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=49442&pictureid=1204770&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=49442&pictureid=1204769&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]
Morning

I´m doing some hobby breeding with this Blueberry male.

I learnt interesting thing with this article written by Shantibaba:
http://www.mrnice.nl/dhtml/media_articles_seed_breeding.php

May be most of you know the info there, but I let the link.
easy Reading.
I knew nothing about hollow stems before Reading this article.

got this off page 2

"The importance of selecting plants for the traits that are useful to the breeder/grower is the main reason genetics have evolved as they have. Male plants of this species need to be carefully selected to avoid a lot of laborious work, which means one will need to do a lot of testing of F1 seed made from a particular male to verify if the sex linked traits are real or not. Males that auto flower irrespective of daylight hours are normally eliminated to insure against hermaphroditism or unwanted male traits. Males that flower too quickly or too tall are also not the best for breeding since they put too much energy into fiber production which is not the trait one is looking for in a medicinal plant. Males that have large hollow main stems are sought out rather than males that are more pith-filled stems - the main reason are that large hollow stemmed males are better THC producers than other plants. Males that produce tight floral clusters rather than airy sparse floral clusters are usually better to breed with. Finally if you rub your fingers against the stem of a developing male and are able to get strong odors or aromas (terpines) you will be advised to use these males as trichrome production and flavor are directly related to plants that produce odors early on. There are several other traits to look for in a male but these are rather advanced and need microscope help which is not really relevant for the hobby grower/breeder."

:plant grow:

Latest posts

Latest posts