What's new

Male turning female? or just hermi ?

sgapetti

Veteran
I am looking for some male for some pollen cucking, here a cross between Sam the Skunkman freebe ( very hazy ) and a c99bx1 ( F2 or IX1 )male. So far so good, Inspecting the maturation today i found this

picture.php

picture.php

looks like the top is trowing mainly female flowers now

picture.php

I understand a female going hermy due to genetics or stress, but never heard off a male trowing female flowers, he started his life as a male , at least what i can tell. Anybody seen this before?
Thx in advance, help appreciated.
Peace S

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
most likely it was a Hermie that showed the male parts first. I would not use that to make any seeds with..Looks kinda strange.. Those male pods look different. I would keep an eye on it just to make sure it is a Hermie and not a female mutation..You could take a pod off open it and see if there is Pollen in it..

sgapetti

Veteran
i did, pollen present in lower preflowers, i am not going to use it for breeding , but i have 5 female sexed at 12/12 and revegged, stresfull i guess for genetics prone to hermi, well, shit happens i guess, i all see what happens, thx hammerhead
Peace S

igrowone

Veteran
i had a male, a california orange, that did something very similar
it formed a tiny cola at the tip of the plant, rest of plant was normal male
what's male/female in cannabis can get pretty blurry

Adze

double post

Interesting, I double posted just once.. somehow my real post was removed.

This is the information I had posted before it was removed:
This is a quote from JD Short:
"A quick word on "backward" hermaphrodites? declared males that eventually sport female flowers? as opposed to the usual female-to-male hermaphrodites. These are semi-rare occurrences, usually sterile but sometimes viable, that I have found at times to be valuable in their genetic contributions. Some of the most resinous and desirable males I have encountered exhibited this trait. This trait almost seems to guarantee against unwanted hermaphroditism in subsequent generations as it also increases the female to male ratio in its progeny."

Last edited:

sgapetti

Veteran
thank you very much , you just made my day sir. i will definitely read about it. I understand bananas ( hermi male flowers ) in female plant , but not a male showing male preflowers first and male flower cluster , and the female preflower and female flower clusters after that . This is a cross where the mother , sam the skunkman freebie , mainly haze genes and the father was a sativa pheno found in the F2 i made from mosca c99bx1, i have a lot of seeds and i was hoping to find a mom so, thx again adze, kudos to you
Peace S

Mister_D

Veteran
Got to run right now buddy, but i'll be back later to add some input. Was going to mention the reverse hermie quote by dj short also. I'd pm either tom hill or chimera about this, both are exceptionally well educated about genetics.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I got one...I was doing PP from CBG and got a full on male out of a S1 line. I had a long discussion about this with Tom and a few others. The conclusion was not so rare. I have a thread in the breeders lab about this..

Phillthy

Seven-Thirty
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i have had several of these. 1 was male first then added pistils after a few weeks. the other was all female until cloned then never expressed female traits again. was male from that point on.

fungzyme

I had a C99 that did the same thing, although this was after a couple weeks of extreme stress. Was a nice looking male with a great smell, harvested some pollen and then threw it outside under a shrub and forgot about it. Remembered about 2 weeks later and found it still alive but eaten up by slugs and mites and suffering pretty extreme dehydration. On all its tips pistils had begun to sprout, and some of the newer male pods were huge, extremely resinous and sporting both bananas and pistils. I used some of the pollen just to see if it was viable, and boy was it ever. Haven't grown out any of the seeds yet, but I plan to be extra watchful for any hermie traits. I tried to self it by pollenating some of the pistils with its pollen, but the plant was too far gone to recover from all the abuse.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hermie's can be very sporadic no matter how well a plant was grown they can still Hermie. Some plants this trait not much you can do about that..If it's in the genetics. To add plants will also nanner late in flower its in there genetics to produce seeds so they nanner as a last resort to breed..

ixnay007

"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"
Veteran
I've always wondered if it's a generalized trait (I'm mono let me throw flowers of the opposite sex) or if it's a separate trait in males or females. In the second case it would be interesting, if the stress reaction was to throw more pistils..

maybe that's what foxtails are.

sgapetti

Veteran
Thx all for the input, appreciated . He may be a mutant then ,i am guessing it is in the genetics , as he as been on 12/12 from seed , no ligth changes no nothing, his sisters are sexed @ 12/12 and switched back to veg @ 18/6 and no issues atm.
However , that DJ article got me curios now, about high percentage of females in offspring and resin production. I will keep him around a little longer to collect pollen and see how he grows . I have some female that i was planning on pollinating, maybe i should just dust some pollen and make a test batch of seed and see what comes out, sound very interesting.'¨I try to take a better photo of the top in a few days to see if he is truly changing sex or just mixing male/females flowers.
Peace S

sgapetti

Veteran
For the record sake, i had a successful pollination with the male ( sam the skunkman haze cross X C99BX1 ) and dusted a blue mystic from nirvana. When time come i will update with the results. The funny part is that both males turned females, confirming the genetic mutation i guess.
Peace S

symbiote420

Veteran
Hey how are these "backward males" going for you guys?

I have some C99 f2 that has done the same thing .....maybe it's something in the Cindy's genetics that causes this rare anomaly ...seeing C99 mentioned alot when this has occured!! He started out full male, even tested him outdoors and everything was fine .....took cuts and right as a was about to start a breeding project I noticed female pistils growing out of all his pods, wth? I was pointed in the direction of DJ Short's theory too, seems interesting! I kept the male around, I plan to use him after I make seeds with my Chem 4 x Aliendawg f3 and Bubba'91 x White'91 males!!! I have my fingers crossed, supermanlives have had good success with his it seems worth me taking a shot, hell what have I got to loss?

symbiote420

Veteran
Hey how are these "backward males" going for you guys?

I have some C99 f2 that has done the same thing .....maybe it's something in the Cindy's genetics that causes this rare anomaly ...seeing C99 mentioned alot when this has occured!! He started out full male, even tested him outdoors and everything was fine .....took cuts and right as a was about to start a breeding project I noticed female pistils growing out of all his pods, wth? I was pointed in the direction of DJ Short's theory too, seems interesting! I kept the male around, I plan to use him after I make seeds with my Chem 4 x Aliendawg f3 and Bubba'91 x White'91 males!!! I have my fingers crossed, supermanlives have had good success with his it seems worth me taking a shot, hell what have I got to loss?

Latest posts

Latest posts