What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to properly mix Neem Oil pictorial

Somatek

I was mixing up some neem oil/potassium bicarbonate the other day and decided to snap some quick pics as properly mixing it is a common mistake I've seen beginners make. Hope this helps

20220808_132903.jpg

Nothing special needed, neem oil and dish soap (ideally something like Dr Bronner's which anecdotally seems less phytotoxic) and something to mix them in. I also add potassium bicarbonate as an anti-fungal as it's more effective with a carrier oil, so may as well combine with neem.
20220808_132948.jpg

Neem oil measured out (amount varies based on neem oil source as the azadirachtin can be highly variable, anywhere from 10-30ml/gallon seems to be a safe/effective range)
20220808_133038.jpg

Soap added, roughly half as much as the neem used despite most recommendations to just use a couple drops.

20220808_133150.jpg

The crucial step, stir the soap and oil together until it emulsifies to get the neem oil into a proper suspension when mixed with water as otherwise you'll have water with globs of oil floating on top, lots of residue left in your sprayer and uneven coverage on your plants.
20220808_134124.jpg

Successfully mixed together you should have a consistent creamy/off white mixture and not soapy looking water with visible oil on top that needs constant shaking to try to mix them. If there's any questions don't hesitate to ask, always happy to clarify anything that isn't clear.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
That is a kick-ass super way to use neem. Since potassium bicarbonate is an antifungal it prevents and kills mold and powery mildew. Bugs and mold. A super mix and super information. Thanks 😎

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Water and isopropyl is so much more effective. Thanks for the great write up though. ;) Bunny urine for the win though... nothing like turning your plants into bug killer.

Somatek

I tried this stuff before and the aroma annoyed me too much.
It isn't a pleasant smell but at least it doesn't stick around long and an excellent/ever present reminder why it shouldn't be used in flower.
Have you found that the ND Neem oil is better than other brands?
I use to use Einstein's Oil way back in the day (cold pressed with a guranteed 300ppm azadirachtin) but since I started growing again I've just bought my neem oil from wholesaler's and noticed little difference other then costing a fraction of the price. I've read that the azadirachtin content of neem trees is highly variable, so it'd make sense that they're could be differences in quality/effectiveness but practically in my anecdotal experience I haven't seen any so far.

Somatek

That is a kick-ass super way to use neem. Since potassium bicarbonate is an antifungal it prevents and kills mold and powery mildew. Bugs and mold. A super mix and super information. Thanks 😎
I've found it effective but I have to stress this is purely anecdotal and I have no idea if there's any chemical interaction between the neem oil and potassium bicarbonate. The study that I read which mentioned how carrier oils increase the effectiveness where using standard horticultural oils, for all I know they could actually be diminishing one another but anecdotally it seems effective.

Somatek

That's the beauty of growing, there's as many ways to grow as there are growers. I prefer neem/potassium bicarbonate and BTi in the water to keep pests out at a low cost but beneficials, predatory insects and nematodes work wonderfully as a controll. What matters is having a solid plan for IPM and using proper cultural practices to support it. Which is why I shared the pics as I've often heard people complain it's not effective when the issue is they aren't mixing/applying it properly.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I have been using 'green clean' to kill SM and PM, which I observe to happen together. The results weren't the best, as the bastids keep springing back. This run I have added a little OMRI registered neem to the solution, with much better results. The eggs don't turn into mites, and the tiny mites die better. This is my best run to date bug wise.

Douglas.Curtis

Neem, neem, neem... this is 2022.

Clean water, touch of surfactant and one oz of 70% or stronger in a gallon of water. Cover the roots and FULLY spray your plants in veg every 3 days for 5 treatments.

Move them to flower room with filtered air (you do filter... yes?!) tend only with clean clothes after shower.

No bug issues, no chems (organic or otherwise), just cannabis. ;)

Last edited:

Somatek

I have been using 'green clean' to kill SM and PM, which I observe to happen together. The results weren't the best, as the bastids keep springing back. This run I have added a little OMRI registered neem to the solution, with much better results. The eggs don't turn into mites, and the tiny mites die better. This is my best run to date bug wise.
Never used green clean as between neem oil and pyrethrum's I've never had a problem controlling pests, although living in the great white north if you keep pests out of the grow room in the fall you're generally good for the rest of the winter until the next growing season comes up which is my goal. Preventative spraying in the fall for a 6-8 weeks so I don't need to worry for the rest of the year. Generally weak plants with a low brix attract bugs and are also more susceptible to fungus which is probably why you see them together but when I worked at hydro shops they'd often by isolated issues. Especially PM as the spores are persistent and it tends to pop back up if things aren't properly sterilized (which often home growers can't really do effectively) between grows.

Douglas.Curtis

Bunny urine, diluted, is turning out to be gold. It has the ammonium nitrate, boron and other trace elements which the plant uses to increase brix and build anti-bug proteins. 8 to 20hrs later the bugs go elsewhere or die eating.

Healthy plants are amazing. :)

Ca++

I have been getting my neem from the hair department at a local food supermarket (here in the UK, Morrisons). It's really quite cheap. It's like wax from the fridge, yet liquid when a bit warm. Making mixing it warm a lot easier. So very little wetting agent is needed.
I tend it use is as a drench for spring-tails and fungus gnats. It's a one hit wonder. I have not needed a bug spray in years, but control of these two is common. Once treated, they are not coming back that cycle

I forget my dosing. It's about a teaspoon in a liter. The numbers would be really useful here... sorry

Somatek

I have been getting my neem from the hair department at a local food supermarket (here in the UK, Morrisons). It's really quite cheap. It's like wax from the fridge, yet liquid when a bit warm. Making mixing it warm a lot easier. So very little wetting agent is needed.
I tend it use is as a drench for spring-tails and fungus gnats. It's a one hit wonder. I have not needed a bug spray in years, but control of these two is common. Once treated, they are not coming back that cycle

I forget my dosing. It's about a teaspoon in a liter. The numbers would be really useful here... sorry
I'm a big believer in avoiding the stoner tax as much as possible by sourcing things like neem outside of grow shops. Too many products are charged a premium for no reason other then being marketed to pot heads. I've never used it as a soil drench myself, BTi takes care of most root pests and a mosquito dunk left in the RO res means I don't have to think about it. Thanks for sharing though, there's as many ways to grow as growers and the more you know the better off you'll be.

Vandenberg

Many Neem oil (leaf shine) products have had the azadirachtin content removed for sale to the insecticide industry. If a product implies but does not specifically brag about its cold process azadirachtin content I would move on to another, higher quality source. Its kinda like unknowingly drinking a non-alcoholic beer, technically its a beer, but it doesn't deliver the usual anticipated chemical reaction being its missing its primary active ingredient.
I once used a Neem marketed as "leaf shine" and you could almost hear the bugs laugh at me as they continued ingesting away.as the much desired "lose their damn appetite" almost immediately effect did not occur.
Baffling to me at the time as to its ineffectiveness but it was very affordable compared to others for some reason. "Penny wise, dollar foolish" I think is an old saying that may apply here as far as getting what you think your paying for. I suggest spending your Neem Oil money wisely by reading the labels carefully before purchase.

Happy gardening
Vandenberg :)

Somatek

Good to know, when I worked in hydro shops 15 years ago neem products were sold as "leaf shine" because they couldn't be called a pesticide but the gov wasn't functionally paying attention. The wholesaler I picked mine up from did specifically mention using a cold press process to preserve the azadirachtin, I'll be sure to mention that in the future when I'm talking about it though. Thanks for sharing

Just grow healthy plants.. Don't be a neemnuts. Like, come on guys, seriously? Gag me with a spoon. Read a book or something. You guys waste so much time, it's like trying to explain to a Christian how science and technology have proven the earth is older than 6000 years. They don't wanna hear it, they love the bullshit dogma created to take advantage of them.
20220808_213232.jpg

Nutrition is as straight forward as can be. Do you also spray your children with neem and give them vaccines while feeding them McChickenbeak nuggies?
20220830_101507.jpg

Somatek

Just grow healthy plants.. Don't be a neemnuts. Like, come on guys, seriously? Gag me with a spoon. Read a book or something. You guys waste so much time, it's like trying to explain to a Christian how science and technology have proven the earth is older than 6000 years. They don't wanna hear it, they love the bullshit dogma created to take advantage of them.
View attachment 18750858

Nutrition is as straight forward as can be. Do you also spray your children with neem and give them vaccines while feeding them McChickenbeak nuggies?
View attachment 18750859
Lol, it's cute you don't think IPM is part of growing healthy plants and ignore the reality that shit happens and dealing with problems is part of life. Not to mention the obvious issue of bringing new clones into your garden, which if you don't use pesticides is the equivalent of unprotected sex with a complete stranger.

Your advice is especially irrelevant for beginners who may not grow plants perfectly and need to have an understanding of how to deal with pests. It's the same cookie cutter replies you post all over that have no real relevance as they utterly lack nuance combined with your simplistic solutions which usually suggest a superficial understanding of growing combined with the need for external validation to boost a low self confidence. How's that working out for you as it seems most people discount your opinion/posts right off the bat? Your comment about preaching to Christians is especially ironic as the projection is just a wee bit thick, where exactly did I say neem was the best/only way to handle IPM as I quite specifically replied previously that the beauty of growing is everyone has their own way. Those of us who don't tie our ego up in growing can acknowledge other peoples approach without talking down to them like children who need to learn basic manners and social skills because no one else recognizes how "special" they are like their parents do...

I'm not sure why you're posting about cucurberts when the discussion is about ganga and PM, here's a resource for you to read though as you seem pretty clueless and fixated on one aspect of preventing pathogens while utterly oblivious to the other sources.

Latest posts

Latest posts