What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial How to Make Full Melt Dry Sift!!! photo essay

Is Sam using a gold panning motion (circular motion) to separate stalks and heads? any updates form anybody on getting this magic step #3 down. I don't think it involves carding or does it? the fact he does it so quick is deff a different method then carding screens.

Vibration or sifting back and forth over a statically-charged surface is the way in envision the process, similar to electrostatic separation of mineral ore.

stikypete

Can you statically charge a screen? I though i read that sam figured it out in africa with no power can you charge a screen with no power? hahah is Sam just twriliing pantyhose over his head lol.

You should really check traditional Afghani or Moroccan techniques, they have been mastering the art of sieving for a few thousands of years

bubbleman

Veteran
I have definitely checked out traditional screening methods from those countries Frenchy, but believe it or not they surely have not been doing it for 1000's of years. If you read Rob Clarke's Book HASHISH, you will learn that Morroco only produced Kief, a tobacco and herb mixture pre 1960's. Not until the Nigerian " mustafa" showed up with Lebanese screening technique's did Morocco start producing half of the worlds hashish.
I would also add, that with as many years as they have been doing this world wide, it wasnt until recently that we started showing people how to isolate these gland heads from the rest of the plant matter on the same level as Water Hash. Which makes it easy for anyone to isolate the glands from the plant matter. Dry sifting is a whole other level, and really the amount of people that can regularly produce the 99% pure gland head sift, is a very small number of people.. but slowly gaining popularity, as people learn the techniques we have been sharing.!!!

Morocco was the last producing country to come on the world market but the techniques they use come from Lebanon, middle east and the Hindu Kush.
I disagree that we started showing people how to isolate these gland heads from the rest of the plant matter on the same level as Water Hash, I have seen to many awesome Hashish in producing countries.
I can't wait to visit canada with TC and do a session with you. I do not know how clean was the resin that my Afghani friends were making but I have hardly smoke Hashish as good as their private stock ever outside some Red Lebanese that I will remember my whole life and the Charas we were making in India.

Ollie

Veteran
Some of the good, but rare qty imports can be in the areas of 50/50 trichomes/contaminants , would surprise me if they would go beyond.

In terms of the private stock, it would be super interesting some HPLC and macro shots.

With the traditional techniques, I would imagine it extremely hard to get cleaner than 50/50 and we also have to ask ourselves, what the heirloom sift techniques seeks as a end result. yield vs work labor, workable end product and most important, flavor.

Its great to get insight and debate going, from some of the most admired in the hashish world.

keep sifting it

I have worked in a few producing countries with amazing Hashishins, I have never look at Hashish with a macro lens so I will not be able to tell the percentage before press. On the other hand once the resin heads are pressed in a mass of resin that is corrosive your Hashish will be very close to 100% after 12 weeks or so. I do not have any tangible proof to offer outside my experience but I will be testing pressed resin on a weekly basis for twelve weeks on a ball of 20 to 30 g to offer the science behind traditions

theJointedOne

Veteran
screens should be getting here the next day or two, hoping to get some sift going by next weekend when a friend brings some trim by. Ill post some pics

So given the same logic.. if one were to take like.. a "b" grade sift.. and do the same thing.. the same thing would happen?

First i've heard of this.

Not to the same level obviously, it is still all dependent on the resin quality. I am talking only about high quality.
I understand that it is new here but it has a very long history in all producing countries.

In a nutshell:The transformation of loose resin glands into a resinous form brings out the fragrance of the flowers when breaking the membranes surrounding the resin heads and “locks” the fragrance and flavors into the Hashish, the terpenes are “bound” in the mass with the cannabinoids through the pressing process. The resinous mass is “corrosive”, meaning that it will gradually absorb the resin gland’s membranes and most microscopic vegetal matters in the first twelve weeks of its transformation, resulting in a cleaner Hashish with a richer, more complex nose. Hashish should then be aged to truly reach its peak.
I have personally smoke often enough 1 to 5 years old Hashish and the oldest I had the chance to test was 8 years old, you would not believe how tasty it can get.

I am teaching all that in my workshop and I have been trying to "spill the beans" as you say for quite a while in fact. I had to get a lot of credibility to have people trying to hand press their Ice Wax, on the other hand once you have pressed resin heads into Hashish there is no going back. The science behind the traditions is what I am studying and there is still a long way to go but it is fun.

Sirdabsalot46n2

Veteran
One of Frenchy's very first posts on the other forum, he explained this exact subject.

So, having the respect I have for this gentleman, I put it to the test.

Made batches of hash,pressing half, leaving half as loose resin.

I'm currently smoking on my second batch as my 3rd and 4th are curing aging.

Both batch 1and batch 2 and even the 3rd batch (which was only recently pressed)
The pressed hashish bubbles more, melts cleaner and most prominently the flavor gets richer and richer with each passing week.

Batch2 particularly.. Because it was made from very aged trim, while it melted,tasted and bubbled well as a loose resin, after pressing, all capacities improved.

I keep in mind that this may be a placebo like effect, it is not.
I have 4 batches in front of me, all consistent...

Loose hash is good, pressed Hashish takes it to another level.

It has been custom to be pressed for a VERY long time, no?

I have to believe the guys that were pressing hash in those producing regions,are doing so for good reason.

To top this off, I'm a BHO fanatic,absolutely love it.

But after following the teachings of Frenchy and trying aged pressed Hashish, BHO is still utilized and a necessity for my pain control. But, now my love for Hashish Paramounts my love for BHO.

Just try it.
Take 2 grams, press 1 leave the other loose.

Cure a minimum of 2weeks, the longer the better...try 4months.
Compare..
I will send you one wheat penny if the loose is better..
Haha...lol

Sorry bout the rambling, just drank a big cup of joe with a bowl of hashish..