What's new

How to Keep Racoons Away!

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Zuchini's story:
Wednesday May 01, 2013 11:33 PM
We have rescued a gorgeous little cat who apparently was abandoned a few houses down from where we live by people who allegedly were foreclosed on. Just moved away and left this cat behind. We think this started in or around oct/nov 2012 as it started to appear in our backyard sporatically at that time. We have tropical forests all around and with my Wife having a giant heart for all G-ds little creatures, ( she's been feeding them all ) we have quite the regiment of everything from abandoned house cats like this one to actual Bobcats ( search youtube for Port Charlotte Fl Bobcat attacks housecat, etc and see what we have lurking in our backyards early in the wee hours ) Somewhere along the line the cat walked into a trap, for food most likely and was neutered by a trap and release team, hence the notch in the poor cats ear. That signifies to animal control that the cat was neutered and in most cases they'll just let them be as there and no no kill shelters left available for these cats. They get caught and it's all over for them.

Zuchini the cat kept appearing thru the winter and before anybody laughs we do get a hard freeze in the zip code we live in and have gotten our landscape wiped out twice in the last few years. It gets cold out there and there and different creatures here making survival of a housecat in the wilds quite the challenge. We found out Zuchini ( wife named him zuchini ) was indeed abandoned and we decided finally to see if this cat was adoptable and let me tell you, this little sweetheart is so friendly even the vet today cradled him upside down in his arms like a baby and the cat laid in his arms like a baby and purred. Our mission after getting this cat to the vet was and is a mission to find this cat a good home. We considered introducing this cat to ours and adopting him ourselves when the phone rang, it was the vet, it was not good news, the cat has been exposed to FIV . That means this loving little cat will do best in an fiv cat house or just be a strict indoor cat and he can provide someone loving companionship like a normal cat. If you are in Fla and would like to adopt a really cute and now desperately friendly and loving housecat who has had quite the story, please contact me and if I have to fly him to you I'll consider it. Just need to help save this little zuchini cat. I will pay all initial expenses for a good home.

Zuchini

Zucchini_3.JPG

More Pictures of Zuchini the Cat and 1 of the 2 cat houses I paid an unemployed contractor to build. They have real roofing shingles and a way to open the top to let it cool off a little in the summer without letting the rain in and smaller entrance holes in 2 places so they can get the heck outta there fast if they have to or lounge comfortably.
http://vietventures.com/cats.htm

UPDATE 5/2/2013 Approx 5:30PM EST, I received a call from the Veterinarians assistant in reply to my request that the cat be put on display in the lobby for adoption with a disclosure about the fiv. They have accepted Zuchini and will be moving him into the lobby tomorrow. Cats usually last a couple of weeks before getting adopted there. This is almost like hitting the lottery for this cat, at least getting a winning lottery ticket. How much of a win will be determined by who adopts him and how soon however I just recieved a note to please call someone back who was referred to me by the only no-kill shelter in charlotte/sarasota and the message is to call her at home. Hopefully a prospective rescuer. Stay tuned.

I posted that on a message board that caters to people who are in my profession or who dabble in it. It was approx. 4 weeks after the cat was in the lobby of the animal hospital that that wonderful man entered, heartbroken that his feline friend had to say goodbye, but then left with a new lifelong friend, one who needs him and who will make that man feel like a hero for saving him, while the man in turn makes this little cat feel like he won the lottery. Win win.

There's a few more of them out there and now I'm as involved as the wife is. This county has over 100,000+ feral and abandoned cats in it and that population grows every day. We're doing what we can to help these little cuties. That's all.

We like raccoons and as such we don't want to hurt them. Just make them not like it here, if at all possible.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

you've gotten a lot of inadequate & inaccurate advice Tudo.

Racoons are stone cold killers, w/a single swipe of their claws they can disembowel even a large dog, fact! These are their teeth and they are one of the biggest carriers of rabies, period.

bee0c59d-4b00-4501-9b11-9d12cb603aea.jpg

My dad used to hurl pots of boiling water @ them when they would breach our garbage cans, they came back time after time. A pellet gun will do nothing, zero. you need to kill them one @ a time.

cross.jpg

Crossbow $50 ~ Bolts $10 for 6, only 3 shown in pic.
cross1.jpg

no BANG!!! and no racoons!!!

This is a Velocity Archer Badger Self-Cocking crossbow. Self cocking is VERY important as it assures an equal draw from the left&right sides of the bowstring. If you are cocking by hand you might pull just a tiny bit harder on the right side of the string as it locks into place, this will effect the direction & final destination of your bolt.

best bet is to bait them in to a garbage can and then shoot @ them from a window above. you'll notice that they won't scare off when you open the window. Take your target practice from the same places you & the garbage will be.

My own garbage here in MN doesn't get screwed with usually, just neighborhood cats. I trap them in HavaHart live traps and scare the fuck outta them before turning them loose later. The one time I caught a ratcoon in my trap I took him down to the river and drowned his ass, I recommend you do the same thing if you don't wanna play with a crossbow.

If you seriously don't want to hurt them then stop feeding them AND the feral cats, cats can fend for themselves. You otherwise are inviting a ton of tragedy where rabies are concerned.

Westchester county NY had zero wild turkey for over 200 years because of the raccoon population, a HUGE extermination campaign was waged & now turkey have returned.

Urban/suburban raccoons need to be eliminated, if boiling water didn't scare them off then your pellet gun would be a joke, and the joke would be on you, although you might become an awesome shot because you'll have many many many years of practice on your growing problem.

btw, if you asked a professional exterminator how to 'scare' off raccoons they'd sorta just laugh even if they had to suppress that laugh in hopes of getting the job. you don't scare raccoons away from free meals, fact.

Last edited:

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Sorry Tudo but this is a no win situation. You and your wife are emotionally invested with the feral and wild animals near your home. You've brought them into your yard by putting out food and now you want them to behave to meet your desires. This isn't a Disney movie. This won't end well.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry Tudo but this is a no win situation. You and your wife are emotionally invested with the feral and wild animals near your home. You've brought them into your yard by putting out food and now you want them to behave to meet your desires. This isn't a Disney movie. This won't end well.

100% correct in a nutshell.......

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's funny. It already "ended well" with the placement of a fiv infected cat with a human. No comprende'?

I agree on the rabies. The vet told us to trap them and have this service pick them up and drop them off somewhere. Sure, I'd have the service pick them up once a week, they would "drop them off around the corner" and be back in a week
funny.gif

Ready4

Veteran
Since you seem to have a conscience about killing them, get a live trap at Home Depot, trap them and remove miles away.
Or do like I do ....: > ) Trap them and release onto someone's property who has done you wrong, screwed you over etc.
Some local idiot nearby must wonder why he has so many raccoons and possums showing up on his property. 14 raccoons this year and 4 possums....karma I must say :smokey::

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Just wait until you go to pick it up or release it. THAT'S when the fun begins.
I used to trap coons to train young coon hounds with. They can be a handful to say the least, lol Nothing like seeing young pups chasing a coon in a rolling pen.
Be careful, very careful!!! 1 bite and you'll probably have to undergo a series of rabies shots to be on the safe side. Good luck.

Red Fang

Veteran
I would like to know as well, and will read this thread more thoroughly when I have time for insight. In the past I have trapped and released them, trapped and killed them and just plain shot them. They are nasty pesky critters and when they destroy your corn or chickens or clean out your bird feeders or whatever, year after year or even every other day, you would understand. Still, they just keep coming like the borg so non-lethal means that are truly effective may be the only choice. I heard on an infomercial that mint may be a deterrent, that is mint plants growing around whatever you are trying to deter them from. I know this is far from a reliable source of info, but I do know mint does have the ability to deter stinging insects so it is worth a try! good luck and I hope we find answers that work that don't cost a fortune!

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just bought a couple of traps. The fun begins:)

take 'em miles away before ya drown 'em or you'll just be releasing them on other residents. drown 'em first & you don't need to worry about getting bit when you open that door.......

tell the wife & kids that they ran happily into a meadow (after crossing rainbow bridge). :D

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I heard on an infomercial that mint may be a deterrent, that is mint plants growing around whatever you are trying to deter them from.

Fair warning...if you plant a bunch of mint to deter the raccoons you'll soon be wondering if you hate the varmints or the plant worse. Mint is one of those plants that spreads like wildfire and takes over wherever it can spread to.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Catch and release raccoons?

Just wait until you go to pick it up or release it. THAT'S when the fun begins. ... Good luck.

And if you don't transport the animal far enough away ... just remember that most animals will only enter that trap once. And the other nine raccoons watching their buddy get captured learn an important lesson if they don't already know.

If you set a trap also consider if you're capable of lifting that trap containing a snarling struggling forty pound animal without injuring yourself. I'd consider digging a drowning pit adjacent to the trap within reach of a garden hose. This ain't pretty. There's no way around it.

edit; I've been told that studies of relocated animals show that they fare poorly when dropped off in an unfamiliar environment. They don't know the ropes and are in competition with others who have established territories. The newcomers usually die an unpleasant death.

Last edited:

iBogart

Veteran
Motion detector sprinklers. Position them in areas you wish to protect. Youtube it up. There's some funny ones with bears.

therevverend

Veteran
I have an incredible amount of respect for raccoons, they are survivors. I've seen families of huge raccoons in the ghetto foraging around the crack houses. They have a stronger survival instinct then a lot of humans. My friend in the suburbs has a terrible raccoon problem. The developers plowed down several miles of woods, built ugly condos for miles and miles. His sister started feeding them dog food. Which worked until the summer when the youngsters show up, didn't know how to behave. Chasing the cats, rampaging through the garden pulling up stakes and ripping up plants. But then the hungry coyotes showed up from the protected watershed down the hill. A lot less young rowdy raccoons. I enjoy urban wildlife. Rather deal with possums, foxes, rats and raccoons then grizzly bears. But I'd catch and release, plug a few with BB's and slingshot. I figure humans are to blame for the urban pest problems. But remember, if they have no food source they will eat cats.

justpassnthru

Veteran
Google this
Special Edition Large Barking Dogs With Motion Activated Sensor Ornamental Toy. $17.16.
and plant a few around the area.

I have one and they work rather well. jpt

edit..it doesn't work on my skunks though

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
If you sprinkle salt on their tails they will roll over and chuckle for you. Then you can bag them up ehile they are laughing. Solid plan, just for you, OP.