What's new

How-to Hempy (Easy set-up guide for coco hempy bucket)

caregiver77

only gardening topics. only questions about syentific, fysical & kemikal facts.
The animosity I was referring too doesn't really concern the topics but the manner in which you approach them. Whatever though, perhaps I have an overly sensitive animosity detector.

*then why post that it is to prevent "salt build up"?
I guess I misspoke. I used "salt build up" where I probably should have said nutrient imbalance or incorrect ratio of nutrients in the reservoir. Is my mistake using the word "salt" instead of something more encompassing?

yes... a complete list of the chemical "salts" that can "built up" in the media. member caregiver77 posted that salts build up... which ones? & why?[...] why should not a complete listing be made?
I don't know. Thought I made that clear.

what is "lock-up"?

how is it diagnosed differently than "toxicity"?
Most of your post seem like some kind of quiz so you can berate me when I answer unsatisfactorily, but what the hey I'm game. By lock-up (should have said lock-out) I meant nonavailability of a particular element due to incorrect pH. By toxicity I meant an overabundance of a particular element or compound that would have an adverse effect on the plants health.

describe the "issues"... member caregiver77 has had.
I've encountered some spotting and necrosis, early leaf drop in flower with some strains when I or the grower did not feed to runoff.

so, 3oz of solution comes out of hole?
I'd imagine yes approximately.

if interested in passive & soilless tek-neeks, maybe read member delta9nxs thread "passive plant killer". that member encurages input from passive hidr0 gardeners
I've looked at a bit of that thread a few months back, very interesting design and LOTS of info in there. I will definitely do some re-reading/catching up on it. Especially now that I feel like an idiot for not being able to answer your specific questions about retention/flushing of particular compounds. I hope you don't get the impression that I don't appreciate and encourage input. I think I mentioned that just a few posts in.

The intent of the original post was not to educate you, delta9 or any other experienced grower. The intent was not to start a lively discussion about rhizospheric interactions. That wouldn't be a bad thing at all, there is definitely a place for it and I enjoy reading those types of conversations very much, even if I don't always retain 100%. I don't participate in that type of conversation because I'm not yet qualified to.

What I am qualified to do is help people grow cannabis. That was the point of this thread, to provide a novice with a place to start. I was going for clear and concise, not comprehensive.

scurred

How is this method better than just using 100% coco, or mixing coco/perlite and hand-watering? Meaning no "res" at the bottom of the bucket.

caregiver77

How is this method better than just using 100% coco, or mixing coco/perlite and hand-watering? Meaning no "res" at the bottom of the bucket.

The reservoir at the bottom allows you more time in between watering/feeding.

As for 100% coco vs. 50/50 coco, my reasoning was addressed earlier in thread.

I wouldn't say generally that this method is "better" than any other. I would just say it has worked best for me compared to other hempy-style configurations I've tried, and my friends have had good results as well.

scurred

Forgive me, not trying to knock your idea, just a minor concern I have. But do the roots grow down into the "res"? If they do, wouldn't they just be sitting in an unaerated puddle of water, and can't that cause root rot?

*mistress*

Veteran
no. unaerated small reservoir doesnt cause root rot. passive (hidroponics) soilless gardening.... the nutrient solution is used by the plant in 24-48hrs.

roots can survive & thrive in an unaerated reservoir. shallow res of 1-2in can become filled w/ roots - w/out any machanical aeration. maybe...

if lack of oxygen causes issues, it can be supplemented by adding holes to the sides of the containers. environmental air should circulate into the container & into the medium...

btw, what is "root rot"?

OpiO

first off,
this is my first hempy run and so far i am overstrained with growth.
well that' s more a strain issue but only to bout 60%...
already had 2 strains before and growth just exploded also with these two..

as said before, i also added an airstone to 2 of those buckets rez.. just to compare..

there is a insignificant stronger growth in the aerated buckets..
the stems are thicker and stronger aswell as hight.. but not too much..

girls are in flower since 15 days now and i reached already the capacity of my tent, never had this issue before in coco ..
hope the main strech is over but i am afraid its not..

strains are

Casey Jones
Chiesel
TrainWreck

those 5" cuttings were transplanted into hempy cups and veged for 12 days then transplanted into 3gal buckets, 100% perlit in the rez and 50/50 coco/perlite above the rez

12 days after putting RW cube in cup....

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

index.php

picture.php

index.php

picture.php

index.php

picture.php

nice evening !

opi

vostok

Veteran
...And very nice it is too.....lol

Ok OK you guys as a very long time soil user, what do you guys do with this stuff once you have harvested the plant, I can just see mounds of perlite, vermiculite, and coco coir piling up growers neighborhoods ..and attracting a lot of unwanted attention

please how do you get rid of it ...?

peace
"V"

G

gloryoskie

...And very nice it is too.....lol

Ok OK you guys as a very long time soil user, what do you guys do with this stuff once you have harvested the plant, I can just see mounds of perlite, vermiculite, and coco coir piling up growers neighborhoods ..and attracting a lot of unwanted attention

please how do you get rid of it ...?

peace
"V"

Re use it.
I let the coco dry out and pull big root bits.
Add about 50% new rinsed coco and it's
ready for use.

I use napa oil spill gravel in the bottom res.
just coco on top, but after a few runs the napa
stuff kinda gets in the mix. No biggie.

If you need to dump the coco, just put it
in your neighbor's trash, natch.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
thank%20you.gif
[/FONT]