What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to Garden By The Moon

Rock.Steady

Gram
Lola lives in an area hit hard by the ice storms that crossed the US last week. She has yet to reply to my emails, her power did go out last week, so i figure she's got no power and may have had to evac.
I hope she's ok and expect her to reply as soon as she can.

I looked and found this post
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=2100476&postcount=26
i think you (and I) just missed optimal germ phase last week.
next one is prolly a couple weeks. i dont know the schedule tho.

greenatik

Wow.. I planted 5 seeds (2 Purple Erkles, 1 Chronic, 1 Gods Gift x Blue Goo, and 1 bagseed) on Friday the 29th

and...

I now have 5/5 perfectly healthy seedlings

Just found this thread and saw those dates and glad I planted em when I did :laughing:

Thanks Lola, hope all is well with you!

Green

C

Cracky

wow, positive thoughts going out for the folks dealing with all that grief.

d4twamp

Hope Lola and the rest of you out there are Ok and staying as safe as you can....I wish all the best, for you and your's...

Makes me almost feel guilty, for enjoying the nice weather in my neck o' the woods....

D:joint:

Che

Veteran
It's still a good time to plant seeds, the moon is in first quarter. I hope I understand that correctly.

Lolagal, wishing you well and hope your power returns soon; Stay Warm!

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The moon phase is not a make or break situation. Our seeds will more than likely pop with the same rate no matter what the phase the moon is in. Using the moon is an enhancement, and there is evidence, if nothing but anecdotal, that suggests the chances are increased by using the moon.
Never let the moon phase get in the way of your laid out plans.

The storm has really been a devastating one. I imagine if this would have happened to one of the city's on the coasts, that it would be much more news than it is.
People are trying to survive with no power, and in some cases no water, in subfreezing weather. Last report I heard there are still about 80,000 without power.
Started out over ten times that number.
Let's hope that all are safe and well.

Mt Toaker

How do you know what Sign the moon is? I don't get that part. The phase is easy.

I disagree with all those saying this wont work, the moon affects the earths gravitational pull and I'm sure this has some effect on the plants. Sure they might pop in the same amount of time but they might not produce as productively if you pay attention to the moon phase. Personally I feel like the phase is the real important part but why not go by both?

Rock.Steady

she's ok

she's ok

I heard from Lola today, after 8 days without power, her power is back on.
there is a mess as you may imagine, broken water pipes etc, but, as i had hoped and anticipated, she's OK and of course, as i also guessed, she's running about helping others.

i'm sure she would want you all to know she's "OK"

lil public service message. ;)

Rock.Steady

yeah man, she's a pisser.
said she already got in trouble for breakin curfew runnin around helpin other folks.

gotta love that:yeahthats

L

LolaGal

Martial Law & Other Fun

Martial Law & Other Fun

Hey Everybody!

Finally got the power back on here yesterday, lots still out in the tri-state area. It's been wild! MPs running around with M16s, etc. Lost all my water & power for 8 days. Good NEWS! NONE of the plants here died!!!! It's a miracle. I got in trouble breaking curfew 2 times! I can't even be out in the 4 wheel drive truck after 8 pm. No water at my house due to frozen water lines, looks like a total replumb here.

I still can't believe the plants survived with no heat or light for 8 days. I guess this will be a good test of the theory of turning out lights at start of bloom cycle....LOL

Good to catch up on my thread and read all the comments from everybody!

GOOD PLANTING DAYS AHEAD:

The Moon enters Cancer at 11:05 PM EST Thursday Feb 5th and stays there until it exits at 11:43 PM EST Saturday. Moon is in the 2nd quarter, which will be fine for our hobby!

I will be transplanting the girls, as I wanted to do last week, but never had a chance with the storm. The pics I downloaded were only day 1 of the storm, it got much worse, with 6 inches of ice and then 5 inches of snow on top. I am SO glad to have lights back on.

I carried in about 1 ton of firewood and managed to save my Mom/Dad's water lines for them.

I'll try and get back to the individual questions as soon as I have a chance to catch up! Thanks for stopping in! Later ya'll!

L

LolaGal

How do you know what Sign the moon is? I don't get that part. The phase is easy.

I disagree with all those saying this wont work, the moon affects the earths gravitational pull and I'm sure this has some effect on the plants. Sure they might pop in the same amount of time but they might not produce as productively if you pay attention to the moon phase. Personally I feel like the phase is the real important part but why not go by both?

I agree, both phase of moon and sign it is in ARE important to me.

I use Llewellyn's Moon Sign Book to find out what the moon sign is in....Just because the moon is in say...1st quarter, does NOT mean all days in that quarter are good Moon Signs...

I believe the Moon Sign is MORE important than the quarter, as I have had good luck germinating in 1st, 2nd and 3rd quarters.

Soon there will be a 3rd quarter Moon & Cancer sign, my absolute favorite for germinating "our" seeds! The roots go WILD, which is what we are doing all this vegging for....

Thanks to all for stopping in! Come back & see me anytime....

Che

Veteran
Can you put together a guide or provide a link to help us understand where the signs fall? I have no idea how determine the signs.

L

LolaGal

Can you put together a guide or provide a link to help us understand where the signs fall? I have no idea how determine the signs.

I keep recommending ya'll get a copy of Llewellyn's Moon Sign Book. It is the bomb!

If ya'll keep tuning in, I'll put a few good days up for ya as they come up, so you don't have to buy the book. It's a lot of typing to put it up every day, so I usually just do it once or twice a week.

Right now the signs are good for planting....see the above post for specifics.

Thanks for stopping in Ya'll.

Che

Veteran
OK I'll bite, I guess I was hoping for an easy freebie link. But checking in with your thread is fine by me! I'll have a look at the bookshop for that title next time I'm there. Thanks LolaGal!

marali

Great thread and infos LolaGal. I'll post my fav info for moon planting tomorow. It's from biointensive book by JJ. Great stuff, you'll see.

jalajaslet

Hey Lola,

Was worried about you out there in the woods... Especially when you told us you were working by the light of your computer only.... Glad to see ya back girl....

I germed 17 seeds on our day last week, all popped there seed and got various degrees of tap roots, I planted the 17 taproots in soil and out of those 17, 16 sprouted through the soil with in 1 day. And that one still has not popped. so I figure it's a gonner. But thats 16 for 17, germed on Wednesday the 28th and planted on Friday the 30th.

I am also doing a lighting experiment with these 16 seedlings. I am working with the 12/12 from seed to harvest idea, so these sprouts are in 12/12 under a 400w MH and 9 (23w) CFL's. I am going to start a new thread in the grow diaries called growing by the moon in a 12/12 light cycle from seed to harvest. Please feel free to stop in and watch the progress. I am certain I will be asking for your guidance along the way....

Don't work to hard right now. I know there is still a lot of devastation around there. Congrats on saving your parents pipes though, having grown up in the TN/KY state line area I am familiar with the ice and the mess it can leave behind.... God bless you.

Jayla

L

LolaGal

Things are getting back to normal here, woohoo!

Went to town & got a few supplies in today!! Found some worm poop for my babies, got a green CFL, some perlite & dirt. What fun I will have.

Fixing to start up some new babies, since last batch turned out to be mostly boys..boohoo... Think I'll rock out some Widows this go around.

MOON PLANTING AHEAD:
Moon is in a barren spree until the 14th, so Valentine's day is a good time to start some new plants!

Moon is FULL on the 9th, in barren sign of Leo, then barren sign of Virgo until Thursday 12th. Moon enters Libra 12th at 3:33 AM EST and stays there until Valentine's Day....

I'll update later for ya'll, have fun Moon Gardening!
Lola

Doobie Nyce

upsetting the setup
ICMag Donor
hehe... I have had massive success germing seeds by the moon phases. Usually my seeds pop overnight, but sometimes they will stall out until the moon is in the right phase and BAM all cracked overnight. So yeah, Im a believer.

peace

Latest posts

Latest posts