What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

how to deal w/ wealth Q?....and having to cut my damn dreads for it (in a way).

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOKUY

Veteran
So in fact you do not live paycheck to paycheck, cause you couldn't even afford to live your lifestyle without your parent's money as it is..

well i could live the same lifestyle....they pay the medical for their piece of mind....(i dont get sick)....and they pay for my sons school so that he has better opportunities...other than that we handle everything fine, and are better off than most....we live in the mtns in colorado so it's far from a cheap place to live.... i make 25/hr and do tons of overtime.... u cant live here for much less than that.

R

raypack

I bet it would feel damn good to turn down their millions just to keep the hair though. Until you fully realize what you've done haha..

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
I still don't believe you. I think your clamoring for attention.

Brother Bear

Simple kynd of man
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As your dreads have not locked up very much, i think you could get away with brushing them right back out. Then you still got the length at least. Once you got the $$, start the process all over again without having to grow the hair out beforehand :yes:

this is too funny. your dreads are all you care about.
this thread can't be real, you are just obsessed with getting people to talk about your dreads, and nobody cares.

StinkyGreen

One more thought ... spend some time to put together a family budget. Do some research to determine the best available health insurance for your family, and school/activities for your kid. Have a rough plan for how you would use some extra money. Bring this to your meeting. It will demonstrate that you are thinking responsibly about you would use the extra income, and will speak louder than anything you could say, or do to your hair :)

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
well,

first off, money isn't going to buy you a heart. your messing that up already doing as people expect you to do.. ( hair )

your also going to find if you do cut your hair, your money won't replace that, and your gonna be pissed you "sold out" over money

your going to see all your friends turn to hate you and be pissed you have money, they'll expect you to buy everything whenever your around them, and if not there going to get pissed and say, you have money

your dreams will be crushed and will live in absolute reality, because only the poor can dream, you get to see the side of reality how people really treat people

your going to see money changes not much, you can buy cool shit, but that's going to wear off, you can buy whatever groceries you want.. then you can worry about driving in your nice car and people following you home to cut off your finger for some of your change, also don't put it past people to kidnap kids..

your going to not have the luxury to fuck around. you think you can work at target when you have money. if your not actually doing what your heart desires, now you can, and your gonna see it's good in a way ,and bad as you don't get poor people excuses

you get to worry every month if your money is fucked or not, you thought living paycheck to paycheck was stressful, trying managing money and keeping it

your going to find your "bad" life was better before your money "life", and you maybe shouldn't have complained so much

people are going to expect you to act professional, or your gonna get called some very bad names behind your back..

well all in all good luck. your a little old for your parents to be making you setup up things to there "standards". it's called your family is controlling. if they were good, they would give you your money and say, good luck, hope you don't fuck up.. but everyone I've seen gets put into an account setup, like there babies... have fun trust fund kid.. that was a joke, but I guess I'm getting you use to it.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i still ride bmx bikes.....and 39 and wife and kid and work 50+ hrs a week and grow weed....what more can i do?

You can grow up. That sounds harsh, and maturing certainly can be. If you have to spend even a moment debating about this particular choice, then you obviously have a ways to go in the maturation department. In the final analysis, hair doesn't mean shit. It sounds as though your folks are using this as a benchmark to try and determine if you've gotten your priorities straight, and if not, to help determine the necessary steps to keep you from fucking yourself. You take pride in the fact that you have worked hard under adverse conditions, and this is as it should be. However, it sounds to me as though you have done this with the bone-deep knowledge that your parent's are never going to let you truly fall on your ass, and this has kept you from a full understanding of what financial security really means.

My impression is that you really need to take a step back and do some self-analysis on why your dreads are such an important, all-consuming factor in your life. Will you still be the same person if you go bald? From what I've seen of your posts, you aren't that immersed in the spiritual side of Rasta, so it appears that you are embracing the dreads to help establish your independence and individuality, as well as to keep people at arm's length. Since the vast majority of people find them unattractive at best and repugnant at worst, you force people to either accept you as you are, or to avoid you. This is fine for an adolescent that is unsure of his place in the world, but not necessarily a great thing for a father approaching 40.

If you like to read, you might want to check out The Last Lecture, by Randy Pausch. It is a short, fast read about imparting wisdom to the coming generation, and is an excellent book.

tr1ck_

It seems odd to me that he is getting more negativity than positivity from the responses thus far. I personally think its great he isn't getting this money until later in life. He has already learned how to work hard, and the value of money, he found himself wife who wasn't a gold digger and he can trust, and he seems happy with a family he loves even with the stress of living paycheck to paycheck.

In the short term, cut your hair, dress up nice, play the part your parents want you to play. A few people said you would regret cutting your hair.... WRONG.... you would regret not cutting your hair 100x more later in life. Hair will grow back, however securing financial freedom, and top notch health care for your family for the rest of their lives is peace of mind that everyone wishes they could have but very few are lucky enough to get.

Now if he uses his money wisely, and doesn't love his roots, he has the ability to do lots of great things for his family, his neighbors, and his close friends. If he plays his cards right he will live out the rest of his life surrounded by good people who love and cherish their relationship with him.

I know lots of people who do struggle and have lots of stress about keeping their wealth though. So be smart about it, spread your wealth out in lots of places; property, hard assets, banks in multiple countries, and then hire someone you completely trust to do all the worrying for you. And if you truly get a ridiculous sum of money, let your money manager know that you will be hiring people to audit his work on occasion to keep him from getting creative.

I dont think you will not want to completely quit working for the rest of your life, that doesn't seem to end up good for a lot of people. I would urge you to look at working from home, or possibly starting your own home business, personally I would suggest working online, I am able to create my own schedule, make a decent living, and have VERY low stress compared to all other jobs I've had. This way you still have a drive, and you can still be proud of your accomplishments, meanwhile being home for your family at all times. That way you won't miss any childhood memories that nearly every rich person I have known regrets later in life. You will also be around just in case some bad person tries to hurt you or your family for their financial gain.

Lastly, contrary to what others have said, don't completely grow up. Keep riding BMX's, grow your dreads back if you love them, and be the father who is always down to take his kids skiing or sledding, and then hiking and rafting in the summer. Focus on finding healthy outdoor hobbies that you and your wife and kids can enjoy doing together with all of your new found time and freedom.

gonzo`

i'm not sure if i want to laugh or cry at your situation...

if it was me I'd just play the game, respect my parents wishes, cash out and then use the proceeds to enjoy life with my family and friends :)

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
Money didn't make you who you are, Nokuy. I suspect that your life experience will allow you to make the most of the opportunity without getting out of control. Like you said, you have a son to worry about and that has to take precedence over everything else.

I do major project consulting and investment due diligence. If you don't understand what these people are saying to you or you need some help, feel free to PM me.

You can do this. Some things will be different, but some new doors are going to open for you - and more importantly - your son. Take the bull by the horns and show your son that you are a man of quality.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

a bit less hate and some more happy is in order here imo regardless of what you think about NOKUYs hair and prior financial issues. one thing's for sure in that he doesn't come here and blow smoke (lies) up anyone's ass, NOKUYs always been truthful on the boards even when stating something he knows will draw criticism. if/when someone asks him a question he doesn't dodge the issue even if the answer could reveal something embarrassing or awkward about him.

imo it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.......

L

longearedfriend

I hope you manage that money well Yukon..

It sucks that you have to become someone else to gain your parent's acceptance but that's small bread to most people.

I have to say man, your family is very fortunate to have made that money, all the best to you all.

what if your parents are testing you, see if you will be strong and hold your beliefs ? :)

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
Nokuy,

I'm just curious why your parents would want to sell their share in the company. Nat gas prices have gone up since 2009 and only look to go higher in the near future. Seems odd that they'd want to sell now that the Nat Gas market has finally got some footing after many years of lackluster growth. Heh. Whatever.

Congrats to you and your family. The best advice I can give you is to put everything in a trust for your wife and son in case something happens to you.

Good luck.

HB.

tr1ck_

Nokuy,

I'm just curious why your parents would want to sell their share in the company. Nat gas prices have gone up since 2009 and only look to go higher in the near future. Seems odd that they'd want to sell now that the Nat Gas market has finally got some footing after many years of lackluster growth. Heh. Whatever.

Congrats to you and your family. The best advice I can give you is to put everything in a trust for your wife and son in case something happens to you.

Good luck.

HB.

I think natural gas prices have actually gone done in the last year or so, and if you look at how many natural gas wells are about to come online I would guess the prices will drop even further. There is also a growing dislike of fracking which could be bad for producers. If NOKUY is 39, his parents are probably at the age where they just want to relax for the rest of their life, and not be worrying about a huge company. Selling now seems smart to me.

blackone

Veteran
I'm happy for you Nokuy. I've had long hair since I was 16 and until 6 years ago when my gf convinced me to cut it.
Anyway now I'm finally growing it out again and you will too:) You can't change your parents - you should have raised them when you were small but now it's too late.
Sacrifice the dreads but before that start some seeds so that your dreads are at least growing on the inside when you go to see them:)

Snagglepuss

even
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just cut your hair and make clean appearances to get a secure financial future.Then go back to having your dreads, or living however you want.I've had to change my appearance to simply have a halfway decent job .The rest of my life however remains the same as it always was .You won't or don't have to change.Just your appearance temporarily.

Im finding as i get older that being secure money wise is affecting, my whole life including my relationships.Growing to have the extra money i "Need" is keeping me single.But things like this are temporary,like cutting your hair for gain.

Someday in the next 15 yrs ,my long hair will be back.I won't have to work or pass drug tests.

Your not doing anything that can be changed ,back the way it used to be .Unless you wanna "actually" grow up.I don't reccomend that at all,theirs a big shortage of unique groovy people.With their own styles...and personal uniqness is something i admire........

Red Fang

Veteran
hey I wish I had your kind of problems! I would gladly cut dreads for a few million, but I have no dreads to cut and no wealthy family members. One aunt I can't stand and can't stand me that may have a mil or two plus a house. But I will not see any of it, and don't want to. She has a way of holding everything she ever did against you, and my guess is she would find a way to continue doing so beyond the grave. my bro kisses her ass constantly and goes there on holidays and puts up with all her bossy manipulative BS and brainwashing. She has stole belongings from a supposed friend before she died, and now it seems that friend may pull out of it, she says "she would want me to have it" well we will see about that. I pray for that woman most every night. I feel she has some dark magic or something as I often have nightmares with her ripping me a new one. I do not want her money, my bro can have it, prob is she is so strong my bro will prob be 70+ before inheriting any of it. And I will long since be dead. My bro aunt and I are the only family we have left, it is so tragic, but she will not accept anything but being in total control and my bro bitches about it but will not stand up to her, and I am on her shit list. So do what your personal dignity and principles say you should, sorry I could not be more helpful than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.