What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

how to deal w/ wealth Q?....and having to cut my damn dreads for it (in a way).

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

guest8905

shit for a million dollars get a fucking haircut, clean up your act, dont go stoned...and get that money..

pretty fucking convenient i must say....i always wonder if some of the dreaded kids who wander height street pretending to be broke are really all trust fund babies who are set for life..

im sure sure not all but some are for sure

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
Keep the dreads man i dont want another year of im growing out my dreads shit again...

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
I saw on taboo on nat geo this dude that is a multi millionaire hobo. Lives in a mini mansion but takes off for weeks at a time to ride freight trains and eat out of the trash.

I

Iron_Lion

Nothing beats a nice fade, and a few mill in the pocket even better :D

It's just hair, I would easily agree to have a hair cut I didn't like for a while for financial security for the rest of my life. Who wouldn't want to have loads of money and never have to worry about a job and bills.

I

IE2KS_KUSH

Re: how to deal w/ wealth Q?....and having to cut my damn dreads for it (in a way).

If this is true don't you think that with the information you gave that is a security concern potentialy? Just looking out Congrats that would be a fucking dream come true God fucking damn dude Congrats to ya.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The part that I don't believe is the 39 years of age thing. Perhaps I was that fixated on my ponytail at 19 (uh......maybe not), but certainly not after I had a wife and kids to take care of. Jesus.

NOKUY

Veteran
The part that I don't believe is the 39 years of age thing. Perhaps I was that fixated on my ponytail at 19 (uh......maybe not), but certainly not after I had a wife and kids to take care of. Jesus.

i still ride bmx bikes.....and 39 and wife and kid and work 50+ hrs a week and grow weed....what more can i do?

A middle aged teenager with Peter pan syndrome and poor judgment is gonna come off all hard in a Rep message.lol...grow up.

I believe a petition for banning the word dreads is in order.

gingerale

Veteran
Sounds to me like your parents did an absolutely horrible job raising you. They clearly didn't teach you a thing about how to manage money, which is why you're still living paycheck to paycheck at 39 and your sister is a crackhead.

Did you know most wealth (fortunes over a million dollars) in the U.S. is accumulated within a single generation? In the vast majority of cases, it's then lost and spent away over the next 1-2 generations. "Old money" is and always will be a rarity. Statistically speaking, you probably grew up pampered and probably still receive monetary gifts from your parents, never having learnt to be completely independent, and likely will continue to do so until the day you die.

Even now you're unable to decide if not compromising your beliefs and feelings on a matter that is clearly important to you (i.e. telling them to go fuck themselves over the dreads) is worth cutting off access to that all-important financial teat. You are clearly used to being controlled by and submissive to them, judging by your comment on their worry you will do what you want to with the money, rather than what THEY want FOR you.

I predict this fortune will be frittered away and be gone within 5-10 years, leaving your kids penniless, same way your parents probably started.

H

HighPlainsToker

Some time ago, I unexpectedly ran into a windfall, and had to make those decisions on my own, because it was my money, not inherited or anything like that. I made it a point to keep other's hands out of my pockets, and educated myself about how to deal with it.

"Wealth managers" are worthless parasites that make money by pissing yours away. They're going to put you into a bunch of expensive "managed" investements with a chain of managers, each and every one of whom makes money at your expense, without adding any value.

If it was my call, I'd learn enough to take care of it myself, invested conservatively, not always chasing those high returns. Constantly watching big money, following the markets day-to-day and trying to stay positioned can become a real burden.

You have my sympathy in having to deal with these weasels on a regular basis. It sounds as if you're going to be locked into this scenario because your parents are calling the shots. Good luck!

NOKUY

Veteran
Sounds to me like your parents did an absolutely horrible job raising you. They clearly didn't teach you a thing about how to manage money, which is why you're still living paycheck to paycheck at 39 and your sister is a crackhead.

Did you know most wealth (fortunes over a million dollars) in the U.S. is accumulated within a single generation? In the vast majority of cases, it's then lost and spent away over the next 1-2 generations. "Old money" is and always will be a rarity. Statistically speaking, you probably grew up pampered and probably still receive monetary gifts from your parents, never having learnt to be completely independent, and likely will continue to do so until the day you die.

Even now you're unable to decide if not compromising your beliefs and feelings on a matter that is clearly important to you (i.e. telling them to go fuck themselves over the dreads) is worth cutting off access to that all-important financial teat. You are clearly used to being controlled by and submissive to them, judging by your comment on their worry you will do what you want to with the money, rather than what THEY want FOR you.

I predict this fortune will be frittered away and be gone within 5-10 years, leaving your kids penniless, same way your parents probably started.

no i wasn't raised horribly as you indicated....far from it.

i learned the value of hard work, not of money mgt.

i have busted my ass working hard all my life...and still do...and still do...and was never pampered. i've worked on commercial fishing boats in alaska....no one does that for fun :dunno:

i do get financial support from my family.....my sons daycare is taken care of...and it's at an expensive private place, and for x-mas we got our cars paid off. .....and i get my medical insurance paid for....it's in their best interest tho....i have type 1 diabetes and they don't want the bill that i can't afford if i get really sick.

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
my parents HATE dreadlocks....so i'm gonna have to cut mine before i meet w/ my family this month at their house in beaver creek, as it will make a difference in what goes down.

....super fucked up that it's like that, but it really is..... and i've been told in no uncertain terms that me showing up w/ dreads is not gonna fly.

...but for my family and especially for my son's sake i'll play the game.

...once everything is ironed out tho....i'm not gonna cut or comb my hair ever again.

...sounds petty and stupid to most i'm sure, but i've had dreads literally half my life (im 39) ...3 dif. times...and wanted this to be my last....i guess ill have to start over again...errrrrrrrrrr!

any advice or thoughts about all that....also i'll clarify anything if needed.

...and please give me advice for how to deal w/ this on my end...like i said i don't have a clue here.

Bet your dad puts a condition on your trust that if you ever grow dreads again you will cut yourself off from the trust forever. New trust fund baby.
How to handle it? Once you get that much money you could ask Paris Hilton, the Kardashian's, of Charlie Sheen. Seem like all that they do is drugs and sex tho.
Hire someone to manage it for you so you don't burn it all up.

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
no i wasn't raised horribly as you indicated....far from it.

i learned the value of hard work, not of money mgt.

i have busted my ass working hard all my life...and still do...and still do...and was never pampered. i've worked on commercial fishing boats in alaska....no one does that for fun :dunno:

i do get financial support from my family.....my sons daycare is taken care of...and it's at an expensive private place, and for x-mas we got our cars paid off. .....and i get my medical insurance paid for....it's in their best interest tho....i have type 1 diabetes and they don't want the bill that i can't afford if i get really sick.

So in fact you do not live paycheck to paycheck, cause you couldn't even afford to live your lifestyle without your parent's money as it is..

StinkyGreen

Congrats! My 2 cents ...

First off, you should consider yourself very lucky. You're about to join the ranks of the top n% wealthiest people in the world, where n is a very small number. You have the opportunity to virtually guarantee a good life for yourself and your family. Your top priority should be not to fuck it up.

As your parents are getting professional advice, they will most likely put your money into a trust fund where you can't touch the principal, but get regular payouts as an "income". Since you are not experienced at money management, this is probably a good thing. It is very easy to lose money investing it yourself. Yes, HighPlainsToker is correct in that money managers can be "parasites", however, very few people have the skills to invest their money properly, and in your case I suspect having the money professionally managed is the right thing to do. Follow his advice though: invest for safety, not to chase large returns. You will be richer than you ever thought possible ... there is no point in risking your money to become even richer. It will not make you happier.

Resist the urge to change your life radically. I've seen people who suddenly come into money and make big changes lose their grip on reality and become depressed. Your work, your family, your hobbies ... these things keep you grounded and give your life meaning. Make changes slowly. Let go of negative things, bring in positive things. Pay off debts first. Take a nice vacation. Think about how you can use some of the money to help others. This will ultimately make you happier than anything you could with it for yourself. (But yeah, go ahead and order those expensive beans you've been thinking about ... you can afford it :))

The financial planners/lawyers you will be meeting with will likely be trying to determine how much money you should get, and what role you should play in managing it in the future (for example, you might get access to large chunks of it over time, or eventually gain control over it.) Your hair shouldn't be an issue, but it sounds like it is, so get a respectable haircut. And some nice clothes. And be on your best behavior. Very few people EVER get an opportunity like this ... again, your top priority should be not to screw it up. If they want to assign someone to you that will help you plan how you will use the money, accept their advice graciously.

Good luck. And when you're rich, don't forget to support ICMAG :)

NOKUY

Veteran
Congrats! My 2 cents ...

First off, you should consider yourself very lucky. You're about to join the ranks of the top n% wealthiest people in the world, where n is a very small number. You have the opportunity to virtually guarantee a good life for yourself and your family. Your top priority should be not to fuck it up.

As your parents are getting professional advice, they will most likely put your money into a trust fund where you can't touch the principal, but get regular payouts as an "income". Since you are not experienced at money management, this is probably a good thing. It is very easy to lose money investing it yourself. Yes, HighPlainsToker is correct in that money managers can be "parasites", however, very few people have the skills to invest their money properly, and in your case I suspect having the money professionally managed is the right thing to do. Follow his advice though: invest for safety, not to chase large returns. You will be richer than you ever thought possible ... there is no point in risking your money to become even richer. It will not make you happier.

Resist the urge to change your life radically. I've seen people who suddenly come into money and make big changes lose their grip on reality and become depressed. Your work, your family, your hobbies ... these things keep you grounded and give your life meaning. Make changes slowly. Let go of negative things, bring in positive things. Pay off debts first. Take a nice vacation. Think about how you can use some of the money to help others. This will ultimately make you happier than anything you could with it for yourself. (But yeah, go ahead and order those expensive beans you've been thinking about ... you can afford it :))

The financial planners/lawyers you will be meeting with will likely be trying to determine how much money you should get, and what role you should play in managing it in the future (for example, you might get access to large chunks of it over time, or eventually gain control over it.) Your hair shouldn't be an issue, but it sounds like it is, so get a respectable haircut. And some nice clothes. And be on your best behavior. Very few people EVER get an opportunity like this ... again, your top priority should be not to screw it up. If they want to assign someone to you that will help you plan how you will use the money, accept their advice graciously.

Good luck. And when you're rich, don't forget to support ICMAG :)

awesome advice bro...thanks :wave:
...and i'll always support icmag....and w/ dollars asap...and lots of new beans :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.