What's new

How to "cook" soil when its winter?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Aridbud - I disliked your post - saying as much because when I do, I don't like to hide behind the anonymity of it...

What you are saying is NOT correct...not ultimately. If you are having pest issues, your soil isn't healthy in the first place. Pests attack, thrive and make home in weak environments, ie environments lacking their natural predators that prevent them from gaining a foothold.

I can understand not re-using a soil that is full of chem salts, etc...but otherwise, your inability to recycle an organic soil successfully is simply a lack of understanding on how to do so...not because it is the BEST mode of action.

BigShrimp - thank you for all you points made about the anaerobic smells, etc...that is 1000% correct. :respect:

dank.Frank

Matter of opinion, d.Frank. I can see if cooking, then amending soil, then yes, reuse. Reusing soil having nutrients/amendments forcing blooming...I prefer not, even if flushed.

Have seen friends acquiring mites, thrips reusing same soil.
I see your point.

Just my opinion, not carved in stone.

Kind of like not letting fields fallow. Similar premise.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Amended organic soil / super soil whichever you call it it's still the same thing lol.

But to each man his own... if it works for you then more power to you. I haven't wandered in that area yet bc I'm a control freak, and losses with super soil are costly compared to being able to flush with hand-fed techniques, ya know? You shouldn't be so set on your old ways! I know master growers that have 40 + years under their belts and they've recently changed things up from traditional methods they've been working with for over ten years and they're much better now than they ever were... and that's saying a lot. Open minds in gardening will get us further and farther than we ever would with a closed-minded "my way is the best" type attitude. Trust!

Yep, in total agreement with ya, team microbe. Again, to each their own. I'm a stickler on soil, same as you. So we spend a few extra bucks on soil....it's not coming out of dank frank's pocket....

No need to get knickers in a twist over new soil or reuse soil, es todo. I thought this was a forum...differing ideas and let everyone choose to do what's best for them...not lambasting a different point of view or experiencing problems. Buggers are the real deal....doesn't have to be a weak plant. They are hungry/opportunistic....nice warm environment, humidity....why not start chomping....green fodder.

Team Microbe

Veteran
Yep, in total agreement with ya, team microbe. Again, to each their own. I'm a stickler on soil, same as you. So we spend a few extra bucks on soil....it's not coming out of dank frank's pocket....

No need to get knickers in a twist over new soil or reuse soil, es todo. I thought this was a forum...differing ideas and let everyone choose to do what's best for them...not lambasting a different point of view or experiencing problems. Buggers are the real deal....doesn't have to be a weak plant. They are hungry/opportunistic....nice warm environment, humidity....why not start chomping....green fodder.

I hear you aridbud...

It's funny because most of us have a little bit of an ego when it comes to gardening (mine used to be huge) because we think our method is the best, so we tend to get a little stubborn when we run into another technique that a person swears by when you've been running run after run in new soil without any problems.

Thennn at the end of the thread everyone makes up and learns a thing or two from on another... I know I've seen it happen more than once lol. (My outdoor thread last year got VERY heated from the input of one guy, and it turned the entire thread around into a huge learning experience for guerrilla growers!)

Like for example - I'm gonna run a side-by-side with the SS I'm using at the moment to see for myself if recycling improves quality.

Drama / no drama - icmag does it's job! :tiphat:

S

shuswap

is the tga soil the supersoil recipe? I have been using the original supersoil recipe from vichigh for a long time,but starting to want to try other recipe,i find the original supersoil doesn't yield well unless grown in large pot,10gallon actually,running smaller 2 gallons lolipooped for a single bud or topped just never came close to yield with chems,yes yield is part of it for me,but the taste and smells cant be beat with organics,looking to sharpen my pencil

Team Microbe

Veteran
is the tga soil the supersoil recipe? I have been using the original supersoil recipe from vichigh for a long time,but starting to want to try other recipe,i find the original supersoil doesn't yield well unless grown in large pot,10gallon actually,running smaller 2 gallons lolipooped for a single bud or topped just never came close to yield with chems,yes yield is part of it for me,but the taste and smells cant be beat with organics,looking to sharpen my pencil

Yep, same recipe.

7 gals work well I've found, I wouldn't go under that though. It's all about feeding the soil with organics, not the plant. So even though it's water-only soil, I'll add white widow and brew compost teas to foliar feed with and to add to my water. I get hydro-like yields off of small plants when I dedicate myself to keeping the microbes happy!

IMO chems are for cash croppers, and TLO is for high quality medicine. Pretty much have to figure what kind of grower you are before you choose your methodology...

S

shuswap

how long do you veg in a 7 gallon container? I ususally veg from 4 inch pot to 2 gallon to 10 gallon usually 2-3 weeks in 10 gallon is enough before flip