What's new

How should I deal with my Nightmare-in-Law?

Lord Doobie

HOW SHOULD I DEAL WITH MY NIGHTMARE-IN-LAW?

I need some help dealing with a horrible 79 year old Nightmare-in-Law (a.k.a. mother-in-law). I used to be a peaceful hippie busy making videos for my website. My wife and I have lived a quiet existance in our apartment for 5 years.

However, nowadays, I'm under so much stress, I feel I'm just a shadow of what I used to be, a peaceful guy who minds his own business, very easy-going, and is fun to be around.

First, a little background. The very first time I met my future monster-in-law, she said she hated my name. I just dismissed her as just another rude person. However, since then, I've married her daughter and have been peacefully living on a ground-floor apartment for several years.

Over the years, this Nightmare-in-Law had stabbed me in the back several times...even going to extremes. She has called my elderly parents in Florida and, as a "concerned little old lady", kindly informed them I was strung out on crack cocaine. This upset my parents so much, they caught the next plane to Colorado only to find me peacefully living in a mountain cabin. When I informed them they had been hoaxed, they were greatly relieved and headed back home.

18 months ago, the nightmare-in-law moved five feet away from me in an apartment next door. She somehow finds these retarded people and quicky dispatches them to my residence informing them they can sleep over, make long distance phone calls to anybody anywhere, help themselves to food, and generally make themselves at home. Keep in mind these are total strangers to me. She is now sending Jehovah's Wittnesses over and anybody else she can think of.

The nightmare has been divorced over 40 years having caused the most bitter divorce in Colorado history (a 13 year divorce). She actually wanted the Judge to force her ex-husband back into living with her.

She has her daughter and son (who lives with her) absolutely shaking in their boots. They are very, very afraid of her. She easily manipulates them thru guilt and gets her way every time. She has always hated me because I'm not one who can easily be manipulated. In fact, although she's an expert, she's never ever been able to guilt manipulate me.

She feels comfortable coming over under the guise to see her daughter. However, it's just an excuse to just abuse me. She ignores her daughter and starts in on me having been successful in driving me out of my home three times in an eighteen month period. She has trained her son to do the same...come over, call me a bunch of names in my own home, then happily
walk in front of my window on his way home to mommie, dearest.

The nightmare seems to be filled with hate, anger, jealousy, and just about every other anti-social trait I can think of. After 18 months of Hell, I'm to the end of my rope.

We came home early from a vacation once and found my nightmare-in-law rifling thru our belongings. She had manipulated my wife into giving her the key to our apartment under the guise of feeding the cats. Obviously, growing is out of the question.

My nightmare also continously keeps my wife upset. I tell my wife to stay away but now, my wife is suffering from "do the opposite disease" and runs right to her. I've also noticed my wife becoming more and more argumentive with me...something she never did before. Since her parents fought like cats and dogs for years before their divorce, she probably now thinks this is the way the marriage is supposed to go. I've even asked my wife to read up on what a marriage actually is...and isn't. It's not a "my way or the highway" affair but and equal joining of 2 kindred spirits that are supposed to be living in harmony. My wife reports every little thing I happen to comment on to her mother like a good Nazi should. I feel betrayed. My wife doesn't listens to me and my advice. Since my wife has told me that her mother and son spend the
day bad mouthing me, I can only conclude she's being brainwashed with a steady stream of misinformation that the subject will finally believe. Of course, she wouldn't know she's been brainwashed. That's the point. However, personally, I certainly wouldn't spend 20 seconds in a room with people badmouthing my wife.

This is putting a terrible strain on my marriage.

The way I see it, I can do one of two things.
(1) Simply move...The nightmare-in-law will just be a fond memory of how lame people can get. The trouble is, I've finally found an excellent ground floor apartment that borders a golf course. Why the Hell should I move because of some nightmare? On the other hand, actions speak louder than words.
(2)Make life so unbearable for her (and her goofy 55 year old virgin son) that she'll get so mad, she'll move out. I'm not sure about this one either since both her and her son are so nutty, it would take some fancy doing to get them out of my face. Perhaps some jailtime would straighten her out. However, if I did this, I'd most certainly have to move since the hostility would multiply 10 fold.

It is obvious this person is trying to destroy my marriage since she can't stand to see anyone happily married. She has encouraged several women to leave their husbands in the hopes they actually would. Since misery loves company, she seems Hell bent to make everyone as miserable as she is.

I have threatened to call the Police on several occasions since she just loves to trespass in my apartment. But because she's way above the law, she doesn't respond. She actually dares me to call them. This person also has an ego the size of the whole Universe. She has taken great, great offense at me threatening to call the Police whereas most people would just laugh and leave.

But here's the kicker. Now I'm at my wit's end and thinking of really ****ing her up...not physically...but in option 2...where she serves jailtime. This would merely be retribution for all the dirty things she's done to me and mine. After all, why the Hell should I move after finding this ideal location? I really can't be having my mother-in-law arrested over and over again...or can I? Perhaps if she didn't know she'd been setup...

Any ideas out there? :fsu:

Last edited:
Dude, what is wrong with just getting a restraining order? If she's breaking all these laws like you said just go to the police station and set it all up. The next time she tresspasses, actually do call the cops and BAM, she's in jail. If you're wife has a problem with this and you already let your wife know how you feel, I'd bring up the D word.

Basically you need to stop being peaceful and set up some boundaries. That doesn't mean go ballastic and or start sending negative energy her way. Just setup the boundaries and if she tresspasses them calmly follow through with the consequences you decreed. GL.

First, change your locks.
Then, get a restraining order.
Take your wife and go on vacation somewhere, if that's feasible. Talk about what's going on.

Don't threaten your wife with divorce - talk to her.

If you don't feel comfortable doing any of that, try hitting her.
Ok, don't. :)

C

confedrate69

doobie i feel u.
my wifes aunt needed a place to stay for a while not really knowing her i said ok "big mistake". you pretty mutch described her and her kid there just a lil younger. they no longer reside here, and in retalliation she filed police charges on me. needless to say u have to do something! youll find another golf course apartment down the road. JUST GET OUT move before it gets ugly.
confedrate

Y

yamaha_1fan

I think you need to decide what you are prepared to do and not do.

The mom may be a skitzo. My mom drove me and my wife freakin bonkers, turns out she is diagnoised with paranoid skitzo (i cant even come close to spelling that right now). Now that we know that, we just deal with it and ignore the BS. We are able to handle it in a much different matter.

Talk to your wife and let her know how you feel. Let her know it is unacceptable and you will not tolerate it anymore. Either it needs to be resolved, the two of you need to move, or you need to be moved.

I would talk to your wife first

BTW, you may be looking into a crystal ball of your future.....

Lord Doobie

Well, right now, I've been reading up and leaning towards a TRO. This would accomplish several things.

Firstly, she would be served and shocked.
Secondly, she would immediately break the TRO in less than 20 seconds. You have to remember this person is far above the law and courts, isn't all there "upstairs", and has a psychiatric record.
Thirdly, she has now committed a crime, will be arrested, and taken to jail.
Fourthly, she would get so mad living next to me and not being able to do anything about it...she'd move.

All this without me having to lift a finger...
I'm calling all her kids for a powwow and informing them that I've been driven out of my home for the last time. The very next time, I'll have to do something drastic. Then, she'll have to deal with the courts.

Last edited:
J

jimbroker

I hope you aren't currently growing with someone like that over your head! I would definitely get a restraining order.. it will help to tidy things up and make everything nice and legal and show this woman where you stand. After that is in place, I would seek legal council from an attorney as you might be able to also be awarded damages in a civil case. If for anything, harassment. There is no better,safer or more just way to get "back" at someone than through having them pay you court mandated compensation. There is no harder punch you can give to someone than the one you land on their wallet!

If affairs can process through the courts maybe one day there could even be reconciliation between you and her. I hope for your sake that the law and the courts can give you some peace! With the drug/terror/freedom war we have going on in the US it is hard to forget that we really are fortunate that we live under the rule of law.

Sounds how my mother treated my wife and our children. She hates Hispanics and constantly puts down my wife (who's Mexican) our kids. She constantly accused our 11 year old daughter of belonging to a gang because she wore baby-fat brand jeans.

Two years ago we left her house for the last time. She has called to say she has cut us all out of her will. I'm sure it's true, but I don't care. My wife and kids MUST come before my mother.

Maybe it's your wife who needs to make a decision.

G

i have an idea...

oj_gloves.jpg

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Pack your shit up, run like you were on fire, do not look back. When you get to a new safe place, buy a puppy, grow weed, do your movie gig. And no, do not take your wife, that is the trap, if you take her they will follow. And you will always get better quality love and acceptance from a puppy than a wife. You can have sex or happiness, choose. You will thank me later.
H

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Tell her youve arranged a 5 star holiday in the swiss alps, then book the old hag in at Dignitas.....
lol Sorry, seriously though wow... what a horrid situation to have to live through... even wore coz its not just some random annoyiong neighbour but ur wifes mum...arrrgh
Can you afford an old ppls home lol

G

Firstly she has manipulated you into moving out of YOUR home three times, so do not think this bitch can not manipulate you-(she has) and you have not realized this.
She is a vindictive old shit.

Secondly kick the dumb shit of a son of hers ass. Do not have any witnesses to this.

Thirdly and the BESTEST is have her committed(with the dumb assed brother in law).

My in laws are simular (I get even by not giving a shit) sneaky manipulative turds.
They accused me of robbing them and tried to have me jailed on Christmas day 20 years ago....I gotta go take a pill now....still pisses me off. They won too. DAMN

get a large can of mace and spray her every time she opens her mouth LOL(not really)

Stay Puft

IMHO:
I get the impression you need to have a very long talk with your wife regarding this first. Is she 100% aware you feel this way? I would consider printing/showing her your post. (Text only-No reference to ICM of course & change a couple unique words if you are worried about search engines finding it.) Once you and your wife have defined the structure of YOUR relationship, you can then define how the extended family fits in.

I would not consider option2 for the following reasons:
1-Do you realize that she will be controlling your life if you allow her to control your behavior in such a negative manner. Do you really want to become the negative person (hater) she wants you to be? (In essence "Just like her")
2- Ever heard the phrase "Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience!"?.... Well the same holds true for mean people. Sounds like the in-law may have a 30 or so year head start on you. Do you really want to enter into that game?
3- Stirring crap will typically bring trouble your way as well. Crap is really hard to stir without getting some on yourself as well! ;)

Moving away from the golf course sucks far less than visits to court-rooms, visit from authorities for "domestic disputes" and all the nasty crap/drama that comes with it.

Well good luck... I hope you get it worked out.
Regards,
Stay_Puft

Lord Doobie

She was supposed to go to Ireland last year...That would have at least given me a break. She's also the world's biggest blabbermouth...all talk and no show. Obviously, nobody likes her.

Strange nobody has commented on her 55 year old virgin son...:bigeye:

G

I said "kick his ass" he is fair game maybe give him 1 warning then club the SOB like a baby seal.

Y

yamaha_1fan

"have her committed"

Easier said than done. Currently the only way to get somebody committed is to Baker Act them and they must be a physical threat to themselves or others. HIPPA laws also prevent family members from accessing medical records and talking to doctors w/o patients permission

"get a restraining order"

Again easier said than done. I have tried to get TRO's on ex girlfriends. They have to be a physical threat and have performed something physical. You cant get one just cause she is harassing you. If your wife insists on giving her a key to your apartment, then thats on her, not the mom.

Burt

Veteran
bro...this is killing you and draining you of life force
you need to do the right thing-and do it quick
*bounce*

Latest posts

Latest posts