What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How much would you pay for this light?

Koondense

Veteran
Hi dion,

smart i'm not sure especially on photosynthesys topic probably less smart than i would like to :)

I believe uva is the uv to use with plants uvb is damaging for dna so would not like to have it near me.
I should research more the topic but uva seems to fall in par range, that sounds good enough for me.

Any counter argument is welcome, i(we) need to know more about it.

Cheers

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
UVA ages human skin
UVB burns human skin
UVC causes skin cancer.

How much will you sacrifice for slightly frostier buds?
Personally I would never buy anything that I knew put out UV anything

Koondense

Veteran

All hid lamps emit some uva photons, also normal incandescent lights do. Leds mostly don't so I hope you grow under leds if you worry about uv light.
Realistically we're talking about minimal values for plants, there is no goal to harm ourselves, obviously.

Cheers

jikko77

How much will you sacrifice for slightly frostier buds?

as someone told you old hid had some uva into their spectrum.
mind uvb doesn't "burn" the skin, they do not work that way.
and explain me what you mean with that burn.

how much an uvb impact on the final result? quiet enough, not just a tiny bit.
is like comparing weed growing at sea level and some other in a high level like a mountain.

biggest issue is find a right uvb led producing the right spectrum at an affordable price. i'm not aware of any.

jikko77

Perhaps a bit of knowledge would do you good. Especially if you want to give advice to others.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet
https://it.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiazione_ultravioletta

what should i get? that you can link wikipedia?
if that knowledge you are talking about is just based on wikipedia reading, even considering i'm actively supporting it, is ... dunno.

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/ultraviolet-(uv)-radiation

Short-wavelength UVC is the most damaging type of UV radiation. However, it is completely filtered by the atmosphere and does not reach the earth's surface.

Medium-wavelength UVB is very biologically active but cannot penetrate beyond the superficial skin layers. It is responsible for delayed tanning and burning; in addition to these short-term effects it enhances skin ageing and significantly promotes the development of skin cancer. Most solar UVB is filtered by the atmosphere.

The relatively long-wavelength UVA accounts for approximately 95 per cent of the UV radiation reaching the Earth's surface. It can penetrate into the deeper layers of the skin and is responsible for the immediate tanning effect. Furthermore, it also contributes to skin ageing and wrinkling. For a long time it was thought that UVA could not cause any lasting damage. Recent studies strongly suggest that it may also enhance the development of skin cancers

let me ask you, everyone sunbathing on a beach in summer time is affected by cancer eh?
everyone skying on high mountain is affected by cancer? or just working outside at noon time?
there are another billion of things that MAY causes cancer and enhance the possibility to have it...

I'm not saying UVB is safe and you can have a regular exposure to it, but from here to saying is bad period ... there is an ocean in the middle.
you haven't explained, yet, what you meant with that "burn" too.

Dion

what should i get? that you can link wikipedia?
if that knowledge you are talking about is just based on wikipedia reading, even considering i'm actively supporting it, is ... dunno.

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/ultraviolet-(uv)-radiation

Short-wavelength UVC is the most damaging type of UV radiation. However, it is completely filtered by the atmosphere and does not reach the earth's surface.

Medium-wavelength UVB is very biologically active but cannot penetrate beyond the superficial skin layers. It is responsible for delayed tanning and burning; in addition to these short-term effects it enhances skin ageing and significantly promotes the development of skin cancer. Most solar UVB is filtered by the atmosphere.

The relatively long-wavelength UVA accounts for approximately 95 per cent of the UV radiation reaching the Earth's surface. It can penetrate into the deeper layers of the skin and is responsible for the immediate tanning effect. Furthermore, it also contributes to skin ageing and wrinkling. For a long time it was thought that UVA could not cause any lasting damage. Recent studies strongly suggest that it may also enhance the development of skin cancers

let me ask you, everyone sunbathing on a beach in summer time is affected by cancer eh?
everyone skying on high mountain is affected by cancer? or just working outside at noon time?
there are another billion of things that MAY causes cancer and enhance the possibility to have it...

I'm not saying UVB is safe and you can have a regular exposure to it, but from here to saying is bad period ... there is an ocean in the middle.
you haven't explained, yet, what you meant with that "burn" too.

Smth like 0.3% of total radiation in the UVB spectrum is what I remember the only actually research paper on the topic and running it 4 hours a day? Or 6? Have to get that paper

So bout 1w of UVB for every 100w of white light comes out to be about right at the current led efficiency

So a 3*3 would need about 3 W of UVB

Seems like too much effort to bother with but I have found a decent diode to do it with

jikko77

i can't find any as well. with the right wavelength.
i'm not sure about the %. from some reading i do remember 5% of the total flux, for like 4hr.