What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How much to water coco after transplant?

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Like who cares what botanicare says. They were late comers to the coco game. IMO more people grow with no runoff than with. I'm sure the thousands of guys growing with Blumats and no runoff would be interested in hearing they are doing it wrong. I've done it both ways long enough to know runoff is a waste of nutes and no added benefits to growth. Dumb argument, both ways work great. If botanicare says different maybe they were growing tomatos or beans or don't know jack shit.

Weeded1s

In my opinion watering til run off is an easier way to grow cuz your resetting the ec everytime you feed. Runoff is by no means necessary tho..its just usually recommended for newer coco growers as its easier to distinguish problems that come up because your replacing the left over nutes in the root zone that the plant didnt use. Remember even if its only an overload on 1 specific thing..it could lock you out. With that said..runoff is Not necessary if you watch your plants closely and know how to fix problems if they show up.
For transplanting i usually just get my new coco in the transplant pots damp and transplant right away..no runoff no drownding the roots ..water before i insert the transplant just like a rapid rooter when cloning.

Happy thanksgiving erryone :dance013:

G

Wasn't it Spurr that put forth a theory about the ideal moisture content in coco to shoot for? Definitely wan't to run-off. Anyone have a link or recall what I'm referring?

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
In my opinion watering til run off is an easier way to grow cuz your resetting the ec everytime you feed. Runoff is by no means necessary tho..its just usually recommended for newer coco growers as its easier to distinguish problems that come up because your replacing the left over nutes in the root zone that the plant didnt use. Remember even if its only an overload on 1 specific thing..it could lock you out. With that said..runoff is Not necessary if you watch your plants closely and know how to fix problems if they show up.
For transplanting i usually just get my new coco in the transplant pots damp and transplant right away..no runoff no drownding the roots ..water before i insert the transplant just like a rapid rooter when cloning.

Happy thanksgiving erryone :dance013:

Hey weed, where ya been? What strains are you rocking nowadays?:biggrin:

shredGnar

Plants in coco need to go through wet and dry Cycles initially until roots are well established in container.

No, they don't.

If this idea you all are trying to pound home was true then how would hydroponics work?

Roots grow when conditions are ideal, not because they are "searching for nutes and water." Again, if that made sense how would DWC work? The roots sit in water 24/7, yet they grow.

It doesn't matter how wet the coco is, as long as there is enough O2 for the roots.

When transplanting I put it into the new pot,water until a bit of runoff. I wait until they use the water in their pot then water everyday. Doesn't matter how large the pot is or how small the plant. When you flood the pot you push out the old air and draw in fresh O2.

Freshly transplanted plants need less light intensity until their roots catch up to the plant size, in my opinion.

I get way more explosive growth with daily waterings.

You can wait for it to dry, just like in peat, however this is not ideal in my experience.

Good luck

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
No, they don't.

If this idea you all are trying to pound home was true then how would hydroponics work?

Roots grow when conditions are ideal, not because they are "searching for nutes and water." Again, if that made sense how would DWC work? The roots sit in water 24/7, yet they grow.

It doesn't matter how wet the coco is, as long as there is enough O2 for the roots.

When transplanting I put it into the new pot,water until a bit of runoff. I wait until they use the water in their pot then water everyday. Doesn't matter how large the pot is or how small the plant. When you flood the pot you push out the old air and draw in fresh O2.

Freshly transplanted plants need less light intensity until their roots catch up to the plant size, in my opinion.

I get way more explosive growth with daily waterings.

You can wait for it to dry, just like in peat, however this is not ideal in my experience.

Good luck

I don't believe this when it comes to newly rooted clones and small seedlings. I killed too many before I figured out I was overwatering them. This is a FACT- you can over water young plants in coco.

shredGnar

I don't believe this when it comes to newly rooted clones and small seedlings. I killed too many before I figured out I was overwatering them. This is a FACT- you can over water young plants in coco.

I disagree with you. So does h3ad. I do just what I said with seedlings and clones, haven't found a better way yet. Absolutely zero need to do wet dry cycles. You wouldn't do this with Rockwood or hydroton. Why coco?

Your term overwatering is a misnomer. What you're seeing under oxygenation. Then when you flood the pot with your nute solution you push out the old gasses and draw in fresh O2. So by watering you actually are providing the plants with water and fresh oxygen.

I have proved this to be true countless times in my own gardens.

Guess is not a FACT like you say, eh? Unless the laws of physics just don't apply to my rooms and plants....

Weeded1s

Just been busy with life 40..you know how things go. Right now Im running gg4,banner3,obamaog,louie13,chemd,skunk1
,animalcookies,91crippy,kosherkush,sourdub and i forget what else at the moment like 3 other ones lol. Just fing around at the moment..how r things your way? u guys all legal now up there?
And ffs people YES you absolutely postively can over water in coco if roots arent established..that is a true and confirmed FACT.
For a fun trial if you think differently...bury your newly rooted clone into a 150 gal smartpot (yes im going overboard but only to make a point) then water it with runoff and see what happens.
Dwc works cuz theirs a gap in between the water and the roots along with airpumps bubbling air into the root infrastructure...allowing the roots to breathe.
In coco if you overwater it gets to be like quicksand where the air you put in from watering gets used up and the end result looks like a seed dampining off...dead.

Weeded1s

:tiphat: Ohh ya i remembered now.. girlscout forum, mendobreath, larry x bubba cross and my buddies strawcough x tahoe og cut.

shredGnar

And ffs people YES you absolutely postively can over water in coco if roots arent established..that is a true and confirmed FACT.
For a fun trial if you think differently...bury your newly rooted clone into a 150 gal smartpot (yes im going overboard but only to make a point) then water it with runoff and see what happens.
Dwc works cuz theirs a gap in between the water and the roots along with airpumps bubbling air into the root infrastructure...allowing the roots to breathe.
In coco if you overwater it gets to be like quicksand where the air you put in from watering gets used up and the end result looks like a seed dampining off...dead.

You think dwc works because there is a gap between the netpot and the water? So roots act like snorkels now?

And can I see this study where it is a FACT that you can 'overwater' coco? Surely there muse be science on the subject because you are so set on saying the word 'fact' in all caps.

You could make it work putting a clone into a 150 gal pot and watering daily. It would likely take 10 gallons of water to have the proper gas exchange in the root zone and would be a total waste of resources, but it would work.

You have to gently flood the pot. So when you fertigate there is an inch or two of water sitting on the top of the pot, then it slowly works it's way thru the pot, pushing out the old gasses in drawing in fresh O2. So again, everytime you water, you provide the plants with O2. Once again!.. every time you water, you are providing the plants with oxygen. So please explain how you can 'overwater'??

You are trying to tell me you need to treat your coco like peat, and i'm not telling you this doesn't work as I used to do the same. However I have found a way that works better for me.

Coco holds 19% O2 when saturated. I don't have the percent on peat, but it is far less than that. This is why coco can be wet and still provide enough O2 for roots. Obviously the more water in the media, the less room for O2, meaning the available O2 gets used quicker and why you must provide the plant with O2. And how do we do this? By watering! !!

Not sure why I think I'm going to be the one to convince everyone of this. H3ad couldn't even do it, and he is gr3atfulh3ad. But I can't not say anything when I believe I see misinformation...

You guys keep calling it FACT but I do it literally everyday with gr3at results. The laws of physics/nature don't make exceptions for me or h3ad.. I'm not coming on here and bull shitting you folks.

Either way, good luck.

MickFoster

You think dwc works because there is a gap between the netpot and the water? So roots act like snorkels now?

And can I see this study where it is a FACT that you can 'overwater' coco? Surely there muse be science on the subject because you are so set on saying the word 'fact' in all caps.

You could make it work putting a clone into a 150 gal pot and watering daily. It would likely take 10 gallons of water to have the proper gas exchange in the root zone and would be a total waste of resources, but it would work.

You have to gently flood the pot. So when you fertigate there is an inch or two of water sitting on the top of the pot, then it slowly works it's way thru the pot, pushing out the old gasses in drawing in fresh O2. So again, everytime you water, you provide the plants with O2. Once again!.. every time you water, you are providing the plants with oxygen. So please explain how you can 'overwater'??

You are trying to tell me you need to treat your coco like peat, and i'm not telling you this doesn't work as I used to do the same. However I have found a way that works better for me.

Coco holds 19% O2 when saturated. I don't have the percent on peat, but it is far less than that. This is why coco can be wet and still provide enough O2 for roots. Obviously the more water in the media, the less room for O2, meaning the available O2 gets used quicker and why you must provide the plant with O2. And how do we do this? By watering! !!

Not sure why I think I'm going to be the one to convince everyone of this. H3ad couldn't even do it, and he is gr3atfulh3ad. But I can't not say anything when I believe I see misinformation...

You guys keep calling it FACT but I do it literally everyday with gr3at results. The laws of physics/nature don't make exceptions for me or h3ad.. I'm not coming on here and bull shitting you folks.

Either way, good luck.

Thank you - finally someone with some sense.:thank you:

Asslover

Veteran
Like who cares what botanicare says. They were late comers to the coco game. IMO more people grow with no runoff than with. I'm sure the thousands of guys growing with Blumats and no runoff would be interested in hearing they are doing it wrong. I've done it both ways long enough to know runoff is a waste of nutes and no added benefits to growth. Dumb argument, both ways work great. If botanicare says different maybe they were growing tomatos or beans or don't know jack shit.
Didn't i say that in both my posts? You autistic or something?
Nobody said it was wrong to not water to waste, yet you bash a well known company and call them BS and don't know jack shit because they recommend otherwise? (BTW, Botanicare is not the only one that calls for drainage, but I'm sure you already knew that...)
You never change brother, not since the days i modded the nutes/ferts forum. God how i spent hours editeding all the shit storms you started...

Last edited:

DONAJTHEIII

Bum advice on here. You can overwater in coco. It happens when your root system isn't developed enough to match the container. Stick a plant from a solo cup into a 2 gal container of coco and then saturate it is ASKING for problems. You'll be back on here with pictures of your plants asking "what's wrong with them".

totally agree this is info I didnt have an was my problem for a yr. I will say this though I think 2 gal is the max imo from solo cup to next size. I go from large solos to 2 gal coco and its fine im talking 100% coco too. with that said my solos go from my t5 400 watt to 1000 + watts when transplanted to 2 gals. I think that helps them dry out. If i transplanted and kept under same light they would be drowned I feel like.

Anyways keep it simple !

1) pre treat coco being used for transplant with light nutes
2)let it drain well overnight is what i do
3)transplant lady into her new home
4) water with your nutes until light runoff is what i do

Then just keep an eye on the coir drying and the roots will explode or your having problems elsewhere

Hope my first post back on the mag helps someone

:tiphat: good info as always stoned !

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Nobody said it was wrong to not water to waste, yet you bash a well known company and call them BS and don't know jack shit because they recommend otherwise? (BTW, Botanicare is not the only one that calls for drainage, but I'm sure you already knew that...)
You never change brother, not since the days i modded the nutes/ferts forum. God how i spent hours editeding all the shit storms you started...

Sorry I caused you problems:tiphat:

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
I disagree with you. So does h3ad. I do just what I said with seedlings and clones, haven't found a better way yet. Absolutely zero need to do wet dry cycles. You wouldn't do this with Rockwood or hydroton. Why coco?

Your term overwatering is a misnomer. What you're seeing under oxygenation. Then when you flood the pot with your nute solution you push out the old gasses and draw in fresh O2. So by watering you actually are providing the plants with water and fresh oxygen.

I have proved this to be true countless times in my own gardens.

Guess is not a FACT like you say, eh? Unless the laws of physics just don't apply to my rooms and plants....

Read what I wrote: Fact- you CAN overwater a plant in coco. I know I can because I've done it multiple times. I'm sure not going to kill the little ones I have at the moment because of what you CAN do in your garden. Peace out.

DONAJTHEIII

Both of your prove the clear point that I thought was settled awhile ago

THAT COCO COIR IS ONE OF THE MOST VERSATILE MEDIUMS AROUND ONE OF THE GREAT THINGS ABOUT COCO IS ITS ABILITY TO BE APPLIED IN VARIOUS SET UPS FROM DTW TO FLOOD BLUMATS ETC.

PS STONED IN MY SETUP IF I DIDNT HAVE RUNOFF IT WOULDNT BE OPTIMAL. THE RUNOFF IS KEY IN MY DTW SET UP AS I STRONGLY BELIEVE IN MY RUNOFF WATER BEING VERY CLOSE IN MY INPUT. YES IM A SCIENCE MAJOR AND I LIKE TO RECORD DATA AND KEEP A CLOSE RECORD OF MY PLANTS. JUST ME THOUGH IM NOT A NATURAL GARDENER LIKE THE PERSON I LEARNED FROM.

:tiphat:

shredGnar

Read what I wrote: Fact- you CAN overwater a plant in coco. I know I can because I've done it multiple times. I'm sure not going to kill the little ones I have at the moment because of what you CAN do in your garden. Peace out.

You haven't offered anything to this debate other than claiming "it is a fact you can over water young plants in coco." Just because you call it a fact doesn't make it any more true.

It is obviously not a fact if it works for me, and others.
Please explain this... what difference does it make to the plant if the adjacent media is occupied by roots or not, as long as there is adequate O2?

The term you mean to use is under oxygenation. Caused by improper watering techniques. Over watering is a misnomer With coco coir as the medium. Because when you water properly you are actually forcing O2 into the root system.

I am not saying your way is wrong. I used to treat coco like pro mix, as you suggest, and it did work. So does my way...except better. I'm just not sitting here claiming things are facts because I don't utilize a certain technique.

Whatever you all decide, Good luck.

Weeded1s

Gsc forum has a small yield so ill prob let it go..but make sure you keep that gg4... its truely fire @stoned40.
P.s.@shred im pretty sure i never said snorkle anywhere in my post

Weeded1s

@shred The gap occurs in dwc when the bubbles break....the roots dont just sit in stagnant water. (Thats what i meant..sorry if i said it wierd) i was drunk...lol